• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

My gawd the B1G is daft ...

PEOPLESCHICKEN

Dysfunctional Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why can’t players and coaches just sign a waiver?
Several reasons:
1) The multiple players Unite groups are including the waiver idea specifically in their list of grievances or demands
2) The schools and their conferences are trying to be proactive and make health and safety the highest priority.

Think about it this way, even if every player on the typical team signs a waiver (which will not happen) its a really bad look if half of them contract the virus. No one wants to look bad.

PEOPLESCHICKEN

Dysfunctional Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If any university should be kicked out of the B1G it should have been Penn State. Hell, the NCAA hammered USC more then they did Penn State.

W.
T.
F.
Penn St was almost booted. That was on the table at one point. I would like to see your evidence that USC faced more harsh penalties than Penn St.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Penn St was almost booted. That was on the table at one point. I would like to see your evidence that USC faced more harsh penalties than Penn St.

Oh just almost? Too bad, I almost won the lottery had my numbers lined up correctly.

PEOPLESCHICKEN

Dysfunctional Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because the players, coaches, and players parents want them to play football. They know the inherit dangers of this virus just like they do when they sign up for peewee football and college. But the powers that be are shutting the season down over the virus and not listening to parents/players/coaches.

Why just the virus? Football is dangerous. If the powers that be find that we need to put the safety of the players first, then non-professional football should be banned.

Why just the virus?
Again, you seem to think that by playing football is the only way they contract the virus. Plus it is more than just players at risk. Every coach, trainer, student assistant, support staff member which for some program could number into the hundreds are also potentially at risk and they never step foot on the field. And that is one team.

What happens with a team travels to another state for a game and potentially infects that school's personnel?

PEOPLESCHICKEN

Dysfunctional Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh just almost? Too bad, I almost won the lottery had my numbers lined up correctly.
What would have satisfied you? Death penalty?

They were fined millions, lost scholarships, had a post season ban, and their entire administrative infrastructure was removed. Added to that was the countless civil lawsuits and criminal charges. Poor long time cheat USC never faced that

BamaDude

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
dont know if this is true but apparently the comment was directed towards Nebraska that if they played out of conference they would be kicked out

If that happened, the Western Athletic Conference would snap them up in a nano-second!

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, you seem to think that by playing football is the only way they contract the virus. Plus it is more than just players at risk. Every coach, trainer, student assistant, support staff member which for some program could number into the hundreds are also potentially at risk and they never step foot on the field. And that is one team.

What happens with a team travels to another state for a game and potentially infects that school's personnel?

Every single one of those staff members/players/coaches/etc. want to play. Just like every player wants to play knowing the risk of health problems that could be resulted from just one tackle.

So why are we cancelling the entire season for the virus? If everyone who wants to play, work, be present is willingly wanting to be there?

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What would have satisfied you? Death penalty?

They were fined millions, lost scholarships, had a post season ban, and their entire administrative infrastructure was removed. Added to that was the countless civil lawsuits and criminal charges. Poor long time cheat USC never faced that
Yeah considering the awful things Penn State did and their cover up of it? Yeah, the death penalty would be a start.

PEOPLESCHICKEN

Dysfunctional Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every single one of those staff members/players/coaches/etc. want to play. Just like every player wants to play knowing the risk of health problems that could be resulted from just one tackle.

So why are we cancelling the entire season for the virus? If everyone who wants to play, work, be present is willingly wanting to be there?
You know that "every single person" wants to play? You can provide material evidence of that? Doubtful.

Second, the AD's and school Presidents have the final say. While I am sure they are aware of the potential loss of revenue and impact on players they made a decision based on health and safety. Who wants to be the President or AD who has to stand up there and answer questions on how a large outbreak occurred under their watch?

Well, I am sure USC would

PEOPLESCHICKEN

Dysfunctional Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah considering the awful things Penn State did and their cover up of it? Yeah, the death penalty would be a start.
Ok, I will forward you suggestions to the B1G headquarters. I am sure they will give it full consideration

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know that "every single person" wants to play? You can provide material evidence of that? Doubtful.

Second, the AD's and school Presidents have the final say. While I am sure they are aware of the potential loss of revenue and impact on players they made a decision based on health and safety. Who wants to be the President or AD who has to stand up there and answer questions on how a large outbreak occurred under their watch?

Well, I am sure USC would

I forgot to mention that the players who don't want to play, their scholarships remain in good standing, and I am sure if staff or coaches didn't want to work, they'd do the same with their job status. It would be unstandable in this current climate.

How do AD's and coaches deal with players dying during practices? Didn't a Maryland player die last year during practice? Or was it Rutgers?

PEOPLESCHICKEN

Dysfunctional Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I forgot to mention that the players who don't want to play, their scholarships remain in good standing, and I am sure if staff or coaches didn't want to work, they'd do the same with their job status. It would be unstandable in this current climate.

How do AD's and coaches deal with players dying during practices? Didn't a Maryland player die last year during practice? Or was it Rutgers?

I am unable to respond to your first statement because it doesn't make any sense.

How do they deal with players dying during practice? Are you kidding me? They handled it like tragedies. You act like players die on the field constantly.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Several reasons:
1) The multiple players Unite groups are including the waiver idea specifically in their list of grievances or demands
2) The schools and their conferences are trying to be proactive and make health and safety the highest priority.

Think about it this way, even if every player on the typical team signs a waiver (which will not happen) its a really bad look if half of them contract the virus. No one wants to look bad.

What is weird to me is how these school's are worried about the health of the football team, in light of COVID, yet they welcome back 10's of thousands of students to live on campus and have "in person" classes. Wouldn't that carry more liability and risk?

I mean, 100+ football players, coaches and staff will be tested, at least, weekly and will play teams with the exact same protocol, but 10k+ students will not. Why is it safer to cancel a football season, then to close down a campus? It seems the football team would be MUCH safer in terms of contracting COVID than a student that will be around all those other students and most go untested.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am unable to respond to your first statement because it doesn't make any sense.

How do they deal with players dying during practice? Are you kidding me? They handled it like tragedies. You act like players die on the field constantly.

My first statement? That they've said if a player doesn't want to play it is okay, they don't have to play and they get to keep their scholarship. I would imagine the same would apply to any staffer who didn't feel like wanting to work.

And my second is, you asked how would AD's handle it, if an outbreak happened. AD's have had to deal with deaths in practice. Hell Notre Dame has a student camera man fall during a practice as they put him up on a lift during a wind storm just to film practice.

PEOPLESCHICKEN

Dysfunctional Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is weird to me is how these school's are worried about the health of the football team, in light of COVID, yet they welcome back 10's of thousands of students to live on campus and have "in person" classes. Wouldn't that carry more liability and risk?

I mean, 100+ football players, coaches and staff will be tested, at least, weekly and will play teams with the exact same protocol, but 10k+ students will not. Why is it safer to cancel a football season, then to close down a campus? It seems the football team would be MUCH safer in terms of contracting COVID than a student that will be around all those other students and most go untested.
Well for starters not all campuses are open. Most of them are doing remote or hybrid learning formats

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hypocrisy.

Why has no one talked about the potential major spread of COVID during riots that have been going on in Portland for near 80 straight days, but it's a topic for discussion regarding playing sports.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just call it the Gridiron Riots and football can be played.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just see the B1G seems more upset about Nebraska wanting to play football then it was to find out Penn State was covering up pedo's

All the teams want to play football. No one is happy about postponing the season.