• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

My 6th annual CFB preview thread (Part 1)

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bowling Green

Preview segment: The Bowling Green Falcons

Last season: It was a miserable 3-9 season, so good bye Mike Jinks! And say hello to your replacement: Ohio local-hero Scot Loeffler.

Good news: Loeffler is known as a "QB guru", and if that's true then Jarret Doege and his RB's will score a LOT more points this season.

Bad news: Overall team depth is terrible, which will not help a defense that's missing good linebackers and corners.

Key games:
9/14 vs. Louisiana Tech (I know this game doesn't look too exciting, but winning this will be crucial for the confidence of Bowling Green's defense.)
10/5 @ Notre Dame (It's the Falcons' first-ever game against the historic Fighting Irish! ...Shame it'll be one of the biggest mismatches of the year.)
10/12 vs. Toledo (And after that nightmare trip to South Bend, the Falcons will get a visit from an old rival that wants a MAC title this year.)
11/19 vs. Ohio (There ARE some winnable games for Bowling Green in November. There's Akron, Miami-Ohio, and a Senior Day date with the Bobcats.)

Bottom line: This rebuild is gonna take a while; Mike Jinks REALLY f--ked this program up badly. So maybe Falcons fans should just forget about a bowl game in 2019 and just hope for an improved product on the field.

To make matters worse Jarret Doege actually transferred to West Virginia last week....Bowling Green's Jarret Doege transfers to West Virginia

@ralphiewvu why can't you guys let us have nice things?? :gaah:

Had so much momentum going before the awful Jinks hire, he actually was good at bringing in offensive talent and they ended every season on a roll, I don't think he had a clue how to run an offseason program or something because they were bad to start each season. It's going to be a long road to get back, I don't even know if Loeffler is the right guy to lead them back

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ball State

Preview segment: The Ball State Cardinals

Last season: Another tough season for Ball State as they finished 4-8 in 2018.

Bad news: Ball State suffered some HUGE losses in the offseason when QB Riley Neal and RB James Gilbert left the school as graduate transfers. Oh, and their run defense doesn't look to be any better than last year's unit [which was awful].

Good news: At least Ball State has some adequate stand-in's for Neal and Gilbert; QB Drew Plitt has game experience and RB Caleb Huntley had a 1,000-yard season in 2017. The O-line may be the best unit on the squad; it has 4 starters returning.

Key games:
8/31 vs. Indiana [in Indianapolis] (Don't throw this game out; the last time these in-state rivals met in Indy, Ball State actually defeated the Hoosiers.)
10/5 @ Northern Illinois (This rivalry needs a spark; the Cardinals haven't beaten NIU since 2008.)
11/5 @ Western Michigan (The Cardinals managed to grab a 1-point win over Western Michigan last year 42-41 in OT)

Bottom line: I honestly can't get a good read on these guys; Mike Neu's record isn't good, but he has had to deal with a lot of injuries. And losing Riley Neal and James Gilbert is gonna hurt, but their backups look ready to stand in. I guess I'll have to make the Cardinals the "wild-card" team in 2019 in the MAC and see what happens.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Western Michigan

Preview segment: The Western Michigan Broncos

Last season: A kinda disappointing 7-6 season that saw the Broncos in a lot of close wins and some bad losses (like the 49-18 debacle they had in the Potato Bowl). Oh, and their top QB got hurt... again.

Good news: If Jon Wassink stays healthy THIS time around, WMU's offense will be incredible as WR Jayden Reed and RB LeVante Bellamy can make big plays at any time. 7 starters return on defense [including their top 3 tacklers], and the kicking game returns...

Bad news: ...but the kicking game needs to get better. In fact, the whole defense [especially the secondary] needs an improvement after finishing near the bottom in scoring defense last year.

Key games:
9/14 vs. Georgia State (Sandwiched in-between tough games at Michigan State and Syracuse is this important game for confidence.)
9/28 vs. Central Michigan (This rivalry game is WMU's conference opener, and it's a must-win for them...)
10/5 @ Toledo (...because this HUGE game in the MAC West is right afterwards.)
10/19 @ Eastern Michigan (More on this game when I preview the Eagles tomorrow.)
11/26 @ Northern Illinois (If the Broncos won't win the West, maybe they can make sure the Huskies don't either.)

Bottom line: The road schedule is really hard this season for Western Michigan, but they have a seasoned roster and an offense that'll be hard to stop. So their prospects will hinge on how much WMU's defense improves. A bowl game looks certain, but winning the West will hinge on the Toledo game this October 5th.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To make matters worse Jarret Doege actually transferred to West Virginia last week....Bowling Green's Jarret Doege transfers to West Virginia

@ralphiewvu why can't you guys let us have nice things?? :gaah:

Had so much momentum going before the awful Jinks hire, he actually was good at bringing in offensive talent and they ended every season on a roll, I don't think he had a clue how to run an offseason program or something because they were bad to start each season. It's going to be a long road to get back, I don't even know if Loeffler is the right guy to lead them back

I’m sorry bro, I had no idea he came aboard. If it makes you feel any better (probably not) we are off to a very slow start recruiting. So that prolly factored in.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ohio

Preview segment: The Ohio Bobcats

Last season: Wait. Frank is 74? The Ohio coach is now 74?! That's pretty impressive. Even more impressive is the fact that he's still leading Ohio through it's best period in it's football history, as the Bobcats went 9-4 in 2018 (including a 27-0 bowl win). Shame about not winning the East, however.

Good news: Special teams look solid, as does the secondary. The schedule's pretty easy, and QB Nathan Rourke (maybe the best QB in the MAC right now) is back for one more year.

Bad news: Nathan is perhaps the only guy on Ohio's offense that I trust right now; most of his top pass-catchers from 2018 are gone, and the running game is a big question mark with A.J Ouelette no longer here.

Key games:
9/7 @ Pittsburgh (After they learn who the new starters at RB and WR will be against Rhode Island, those guys will be put to a BIG test against the ACC Coastal champs.)
9/14 @ Marshall (It's not just a "bragging-rights" game for these "Group of Five" schools, it's also a dormant rivalry game that is being reborn!)
10/5 @ Buffalo (Ohio might not be getting the same Buffalo team from a year ago, but the Bulls will still be well coached. Do NOT underestimate them, Bobcats!)
10/12 vs. Northern Illinois (NIU is always a tough out, and facing them after the big Buffalo game? Brutal.)
11/6 vs. Miami-Ohio (Losing against their old rivals 30-28 would eventually cost Ohio the MAC East division last year.)

Bottom line: With the winning culture in place at Athens and Nathan Rourke still here, the Bobcats are the favorite in the East division. But that's kinda by default, what with half of the teams in that division rebuilding and Buffalo suffering heavy losses.
If the coaches manages to find some help for Rourke on offense, maybe Ohio will have a shot at winning when they get to the MAC title game in Detroit in December.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eastern Michigan

Preview segment: The Eastern Michigan Eagles

Last season: It doesn't matter if Eastern Michigan got involved in some more close losses last year; just know that for the first time in program history, the Eagles now has a coach that took them to multiple bowl games! Even more amazing is the fact that it might happen again.

Good news: The emergence of Mike Glass III and Shaq Vann was tremendous last year, and both Mike and Shaq are back for another year. They also have a veteran O-line and a strong punting game.

Bad news: The rushing defense wasn't great for EMU in 2018, so what's gonna happen when Maxx Crosby and Jermiah Harris are not there for the Eagles? Oh, there are a lot of juniors and seniors there, but not a lot of starting experience.

Key games:
9/14 @ Illinois (Unbelievably, Eastern Michigan has beaten a Big 10 school in each of the last 2 seasons (Rutgers in 2017 and Purdue last year). Could the Illini be next?)
10/5 @ Central Michigan (Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this is the earliest that these 2 rivals have met.)
10/19 vs. Western Michigan (The Eagles are still looking for a big win over the Broncos. They almost got them last year [a 27-24 loss], so keep plugging away!)
10/26 @ Toledo (One team that the Eagles DID beat was the proud Toledo Rockets 28-26.)
11/19 @ Northern Illinois (EMU lost a tough one in 3-OT's last year to the Huskies. Maybe this is the year.)

Bottom line: Aside from going to Toledo and Northern Illinois, the schedule's pretty good for the Eagles. So if the defense doesn't screw it up, then maybe (just maybe) Eastern Michigan will celebrate something in 2019 that they've NEVER done before: Going to back-to-back bowls.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Central Michigan

Preview segment: The Central Michigan Chippewas

Last season: Such a shame about John Bonamego; he was actually doing OK at Central Michigan before 2018. But then everything imploded in a 1-11 season (with their only win against FCS Maine), and John didn't survive. So now the Chippewas are starting over with Jim McElwain at the helm.

Good news: Despite losing a few starters, CMU's defense has the chance to be good once again. RB Jonathon Ward is a playmaker if he can stay healthy, and their top 2 QB's are back.

Bad news: Those top 2 QB's SUCKED last year, and if Quinten Dormady can't rescue that position then CMU's offense could suffer again... let's just say that the WR's and the O-line needs to make a vast improvement.

Key games:
9/14 @ Akron (In-between tough games at Wisconsin and Miami is this big opener in the MAC. Valuable momentum in the MAC is on the line for both the Zips and CMU.)
9/28 @ Western Michigan (Central Michigan will most likely be 2-2 entering this back-to-back series with the rival Broncos...)
10/5 vs. Eastern Michigan (...and with the rival Eagles.)
11/16 @ Ball State (A 24-23 loss to the Cardinals was the closest Central Michigan got to a win in the FBS in 2018.)

Bottom line: This is another rebuilding job in the Mid-American Conference, and it's one that could take a while. Best to just leave the Chippewas as they rebuild throughout a losing season.
But Jim McElwain should be fine in Mount Pleasant; at least he won't have the pressure he had to deal with while coaching Florida.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Miami-Ohio

The last preview segment for the MAC: The Miami-Ohio Redhawks

Last season: To a fanbase used to winning games, 2018 was a weird one for the kids at Oxford. Miami-Ohio was able to get 6 wins, but they got snubbed from appearing in a bowl. Now this year, the Redhawks are in an even weirder place: Playing without Gus Ragland.

2019 X-factor: QB Alex Malzone- Most of the CFB magazines are freaking out over the Redhawks not having Ragland anymore, and at first I was one of them. That was, until I checked a name that Lindy's threw out there: Alex Malzone. And according to ESPN.com, he IS on the roster right now in Oxford. Redhawks fans will be delighted if he's able to step up.

Good news: Coach Martin's recruiting efforts continue to pay off; he has a solid O-line and some potential breakout players at RB and WR. Ben Kimpler and Doug Costin are two players to watch on defense, and the special teams looks great.

Bad news: If Malzone gets hurt (or doesn't play), no other QB for the Redhawks have thrown a meaningful pass in college.

Key games:
9/14 @ Cincinnati, and 9/21 @ Ohio State (I'm looking forward to the Cincinnati @ Ohio State game coming September 7th. Sadly for the Redhawks, they have to play both the Bearcats and the Buckeyes on the road.)
9/28 vs. Buffalo (And after that hellish in-state road trip, a well-coached Buffalo team will be waiting for them back home.)
11/6 @ Ohio (Last year, I actually watched the game where Miami-Ohio were able to beat the rival Bobcats. Trouble is, the rematch is in Athens.)

Bottom line: Give the people at Oxford some credit; they're not calling for the coach's head right now. And if Alex Malzone comes through at QB, Miami-Ohio could surprise this year by grabbing a bowl invite. The key is keeping up the pace in conference play (16-6 in recent MAC games) and managing to bypass Ohio again.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MAC predictions

Hmmm... I actually have a rare day off tomorrow, as I'll be assembling my predictions for the American. But before that, these are my predictions for the admittedly wide-open MAC in 2019:

MAC East:
1. Ohio
2. Buffalo
3. Miami-Ohio
4. Kent State
5. Akron
6. Bowling Green

MAC West:
1. Toledo (Conference champs)
2. Western Michigan
3. Eastern Michigan
4. Northern Illinois
5. Ball State
6. Central Michigan

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Houston

The first preview segment for the American Conference: The Houston Cougars

Last season: It was another "mixed-bag" for the Cougars in 2018. First, they started out 7-1 and were ranked #17th in the AP Poll... then the injuries on defense finally caught up to Houston and they crashed down to a final 8-5 record. At least afterwards, Major Apperwhite got out while the getting was good.
Now the Cougars are paying their new coach Dana Holgorsen $4 million a year over 5 years to get them back to being the monster of the "Group of Five".

Good news: D'Eriq King had a breakout season last year, and he's back at 100%. Also back are his top 3 receivers and a solid special teams unit.

Bad news: After 2018's unit s--t the bed with a 127th overall ranking, EVERYBODY is worried about Houston's defense this year, saying that it's gonna ruin everything. I am NOT one of those "debbie-downers"... although it WILL be hard for Houston to replace Ed Oliver and 3 good linebackers from a year ago.

Key games:
8/31 @ Oklahoma (It's the long-awaited rematch from the 2016 game at NRG Stadium, where Houston outscored the Sooners.)
9/13 vs. Washington State [from NRG Stadium in Houston] (And whataya know? Houston gets to go BACK to NRG Stadium for another glamour game, this time against a healthy Washington State program.)
10/12 vs. Cincinnati (Here's a chance for a "confidence booster" for Houston; by this time Cincinnati should be good and spent.)
11/2 @ UCF (Houston and UCF will meet each other for the first time in 3 years, and in that 2-year absence UCF had accumulated a boatload of riches. Houston must try to remedy that.)
11/16 vs. Memphis (This game should decide who'll win the AAC West division. As usual.)

Bottom line: New coach Dana Holgorsen has a big chance to flex his coaching muscles in Houston, as he'll try to get Houston back to the promised land. And his prospects in 2019 are surprisingly easy to spell out: All Houston needs is some significant improvement on defense, and the AAC West title is theirs! That is, if the schedule doesn't wear them out.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cincinnati

Preview segment: The Cincinnati Bearcats

Last season: :eek: The whole thing that made Cincinnati look so amazing in 2018 was that the transformation was night and day. Picked to finish with 4 or 5 wins, Luke Fickell's team instead showed off some awesome young talent to have a fine 11-2 season and a final ranking in the AP Poll. And during the winter months, I thought that the Bearcats would continue that ascent and win a "New Year's Six" bowl spot in 2019. But now...

Bad news: At least 4 seniors from 2018's defense are gone, and the kicking game needs some marked improvement. Wide-receiver is also a concern as they have no #1-WR yet.

Good news: Desmond Ridder. 4 running backs that can all get 100-yard+ games. Strong linebackers like Bryan Wright. They're all back to terrorize AAC opponents on a terrific team.

Key games:
Here's the big problem, though: Cincinnati's first 6 games are all tough outs. Let me just show you:
8/31 vs. UCLA (A rematch with Chip Kelly and the Bruins... who WILL be better than the team Cincy defeated in the season opener last year.)
9/7 @ Ohio State (A monster contest in the state of Ohio, and one I'm REALLY looking forward to.)
9/14 vs. Miami-Ohio (Then it's the annual clash with their most bitter rivals...)
9/28 @ Marshall (...and then after a week off, it's a trip to a proud Marshall team.)
10/5 vs. UCF (Another game I'm really looking forward too; UCF could also be banged up by the time October rolls around.)
10/12 @ Houston (And finally, it's that clash with Houston that I mentioned in my previous post. How Cincy handles this 6-game stretch is anyone's guess.)

Bottom line: Oh yeah, I almost forgot! Cincy has late-season dates with USF and Memphis, too. So yeah... I don't like Cincinnati's chances to get to the 10-win plateau they need to crash the "New Year's Six" in 2019. But Luke Fickell has done an amazing job in rebuilding the Bearcats in just 2 years. So trust me; Cincy might not win the AAC East, but they WILL surprise someone again like a UCLA, or a UCF... or maybe even a Ohio State. :heh:

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tulsa

Preview segment: The Tulsa Golden Hurricane

Last season: A terrible 3-9 record with an awful offense. Uh, wasn't Phillip Montgomery supposed to be a QB guru?

Good news: But maybe Baylor transfer Zach Smith can help Phillip regain his offensive mojo; he'll also have an experienced O-line to help out. Tulsa's defense took a BIG step forwards last season, and 7 starters return from it (including some good linebackers).

Bad news: Depth on that hopeful defense is not good, and it'll have a first-time coordinator running it. And if the offense somehow struggles again, the Shatner's gonna hit the fan with the Tulsa fan base.

Key games:
9/14 vs. Oklahoma State (The season tickets holders have to be excited; not only will Oklahoma State come to visit them, but also UCF, Memphis, and Houston.)
10/5 @ SMU (Tulsa WAS able to defeat the Mustangs last year.)
10/12 vs. Navy (Here's another winnable AAC game for the Golden Hurricane.)
11/23 vs. Houston (Hang in there, Tulsa! You did come pretty close to beating the Cougars last year in Houston.)

Bottom line: This one is a little hard to call; Tulsa's offense should be better, but a hard schedule won't help. I believe that the Golden Hurricane will be better than 3-9 in 2019... just don't expect them in a bowl game.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
East Carolina

Preview segment: The East Carolina Pirates

Last season: Sorry about the delay. Me and my family were going through a LONG song-and-dance with Netflix regarding our password. But luckily, we were able to fix it (with a couple of capital letters that I didn't see at first), and now we're good.
What does this have to do with East Carolina? Well, their current problem is losing; after kicking out Ruffin McNeil, his replacement Scottie Montgomery bombed and now he's gone after 3 years. Now ECU is hoping that with Mike Houston at the helm, their problem will be as easy to fix as my Netflix problem.

Good news: Optimism is abound in Greenville that ECU's running game will be better than last year's. ECU also has their usual depth at WR, and their QB situation is A-OK with sophomore Holton Ahlers leading the way.

Bad news: ECU is hoping for more physical play in 2019, as their secondary and red-zone defense got destroyed over and over again last year. It also wouldn't hurt for ECU to force more turnovers, too.

Key games:
9/14 @ Navy (This conference opener is more important than at first glance; both ECU and Navy struggled badly in 2018.)
10/3 vs. Temple (Hopefully the Pirates will keep this game closer than the 49-6 debacle they went through last year.)
10/26 vs. USF (ECU almost got the Bulls last year before losing 20-13.)
11/30 vs. Tulsa (Strange... Why am I expecting a shootout on ECU's Senior Day?)

Bottom line: There's a new energy in Greenville with the new coach and his attacking style of offense, but it'll take more than 1 year for ECU to get back to being a threat in the AAC. Still, if problems on defense get fixed, maybe the Pirates can surprise someone this year.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Connecticut

Preview segment: The UConn Huskies

Last season: A really bad 1-11.

2019 X-factor: New defensive coordinator Lou Spanos- Most fans in the AAC probably already know this, but UConn's defense in 2018 was historically bad. And imagine being a player on that terrible defense, having to hear throughout the winter and spring months about how bad their efforts were. Now, Lou comes in having worked with UCLA, the Tennessee Titans, and Alabama previously. So we'll see what Lou can bring to East Hartford.

Bad news: Lou inherits a defense that returns 9 starters, but almost no playmakers. The offense may not be any better as there is no experienced QB on the roster, plus they're losing their top 5 pass catchers from a year ago.

Good news: At least UConn can claim a good running attack; the O-line returns 4 starters and Kevin Mensah was a 1,000-yard rusher last year.

Key games:
8/29 vs. Wagner (I know UConn defeated their FCS opponent last year, but that's not the point. The point is, I wanna see how well UConn's 2019 defense will perform right off the bat.)
10/5 vs. USF (UConn DID keep it close against USF last year, only losing 38-30.)
10/16 @ UMass (We didn't really know HOW bad UConn was last season until we saw them lose to the freaking Minutemen 22-17... at home.)

Bottom line: Randy Edsall's total rebuild of the UConn football program will continue into 2019, and with the rest of the athletic department allegedly having financial problems, this campus will be desperate for some good news this fall. They'll take either a better defense or some more wins, just anything to make them feel better. And honestly, I'm hoping that UConn does surprise someone in 2019.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Central Florida

Preview segment: The Central Florida Golden Knights

Last season: So once again, the Golden Knights of Central Florida made everyone look foolish... again. Most people thought that without Scott Frost leading them, UCF would lose at least a game or two under new head-man Josh Heupel... enough to push UCF out of the "New Year's Six". But Josh and his staff ignored all of the naysayers, and by January 1st UCF was an undefeated 2-time AAC champion playing in the Fiesta Bowl. It was another amazing year (even though they lost the bowl this time)!
And now in 2019, many people have UCF as the "Group of Five" favorite to play on New Year's...even with some more changes.

Good news: Despite no McKenzie Milton at QB (as he'll still be recovering from a NASTY leg injury), I'm confident that either back-up Darriel Mack Jr. or Notre Dame transfer Brandon Wimbush can run the UCF offense well. The Knights are loaded at RB and WR, and the secondary has 3 starters returning.

Bad news: Line play is gonna be a hurdle early on for the Knights, as starters on both the offensive and defensive line need to be replaced. The new starters on the kicking game could all be freshmen.

Key games:
9/14 vs. Stanford (This should be a very fun glamour game for the AAC... if Mother Nature doesn't ruin it with a hurricane [which has led UCF to cancel games over the last 2 seasons].)
9/21 @ Pittsburgh (Another big challenge for the Knights, as they'll visit a "Power 5" team they pasted 45-14 last year.)
10/4 @ Cincinnati (Remember when "College GameDay" came to Orlando? And Maury Povich was the picker and said "UCF, you ARE the winner"? I don't think UCF will get those theatrics when they travel to Cincinnati; they'll just get a talented team looking to take away their crown.)
10/26 @ Temple (I think Temple will be like a gnat in 2019; they'll make a habit of annoying all of the conference heavyweights. The Owls certainly annoyed UCF in Orlando last year.)
11/29 vs. USF (I honestly don't know what USF is gonna do this year. But it's still UCF's biggest rival, so keep your eyes open.)

Bottom line: This incredible run that UCF is on can't go on forever; there are questions about their line play and the kicking game may be lacking. However, in the AAC they're gonna be the favorites unless someone MAKES them leave the throne room.
Pay attention to their game against Cincinnati on October 4th; if the Knights bypass them again, we're gonna see UCF vie for a 3rd-straight conference title in December.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
South Florida

Preview segment: The South Florida Bulls

Last season: From 2006 to 2011, the University of South Florida's football team began to build a less-than-flattering reputation; they would get off to a proud start, but something would happen and then they would completely falter. We all thought that USF was off that bad habit when they started losing in 2012.
But I guess old habits die hard; in 2018 USF started off 7-0 before achieving a new low that no other FBS school has EVER done, as they lose their last 6 games... mainly because both the offense and defense had their own little crises.

2019 X-factor: New offensive head Kerwin Bell- To try to fix the offense, Charlie Strong has hired former West Florida head coach Kerwin Bell, who was last seen leading Division II's Valdosta State to a national title. Bell is looking to slow down the pace of USF's offense, and we'll see how that plan works.

Good news: Helping out Bell with that idea is QB Blake Barnett and an array of good players at the skill positions; RB Jordan Cronkrite is the one to watch.

Bad news: USF's leading tackler from last year (Khalid McGee) is gone, and the secondary has a lack of experience. If LB Nico Sawtelle can't return to the form he was in last year before he got hurt, the D-line may have problems too.

Key games:
9/7 @ Georgia Tech (This game [and the season opener against Wisconsin] will determine if USF has rebuilt the confidence they lost from a year ago.)
10/12 vs. BYU (It's the 1st-ever meeting between these two schools.)
11/7 vs. Temple (This begins a busy, busy, BUSY November for the Bulls; after their clash with the Owls, they'll host Cincinnati and then Memphis.)
11/29 @ UCF (But sadly, their clash with the Golden Knights will be in Orlando this time.)

Bottom line: Charlie Strong's team has the numbers on defense to get better, and a plan to get that offense back in shape. So I guess the key for South Florida in 2019 is to get back the mojo they had when they were winning close game after close game at the beginning of last year. 2nd place in the AAC East is certainly doable.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Temple

Preview segment: The Temple Owls

Last season: 2018 was a weird year for Temple football. If you were a "glass half full" person, it was a fine year as Temple got another 8-win season with victories over teams like Maryland and a ranked Cincinnati. And best of all, Temple established itself as "a cradle of coaches" after two of it's head coaches got jobs at "Power 5" schools!
But if you were a "glass half empty", you were worried about the turmoil that losing two of your head coaches in the offseason can create. Now former NIU coach Rod Carey is hoping to stabilize the ship here in Philly.

Bad news: Rock Ya-Sin is no longer in the secondary, which is poorer for his absence. Running-back is also a worry, as Ryquell Armstead is gone as well. In total, 7 players from last year's Owls team are now in the NFL.

Good news: But QB Anthony Russo and the rest of his offense still looks ready to put up some points, and the O-line returns 4 starters. The linebackers look ready to carry Temple's defense.

Key games:

Non-conference games:

8/31 vs. Bucknell (One thing Rod Carey can do to win over his new team is to make sure Temple doesn't have a bad early-season stumble, like last year when Villanova stunned the Owls.)
9/14 vs. Maryland (But after that, Temple used an upset of Maryland to right the ship. Now it's time for the rematch, this time in Philly.)
9/28 vs. Georgia Tech (And Temple also gets to host a rebuilding Georgia Tech team, too? Are they lucky, or what?)
Conference games:
10/12 vs. Memphis (This should be another good one in the AAC; Memphis could be on a major roll by this point.)
10/26 vs. UCF (Any chance that Temple will have to upset the proud Golden Knights might hinge on the Owls's new defense.)
11/23 @ Cincinnati (Huh... I didn't know that Temple has beaten Cincinnati 4 years in a row? Did you?!)

Bottom line: Temple could be the wild-card team in the American in 2019; the transition from Geoff Collins to Manny Diaz to Rod Carey got REALLY crazy, and I don't know how that will affect the remaining players. On the other hand, the offense looks loaded. So I guess we'll see if Temple will just simply be a "bowl team", or if they surprise a UCF or a Memphis and make some waves.