• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: M's vs A's (5-5 to 5-7 w/ doubleheader)

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Monday 5/5 @ 7:05 pm
Chris Young 1-0 3.04 ERA vs Scott Kazmir 4-0 2.11 ERA

Tuesday 5/6 @ 7:05 pm
Roenis Elias 2-2 3.09 ERA vs Jesse Chavez 2-0 1.89 ERA

Wednesday 5/7 Game 1 @ 12:35 pm
Felix Hernandez 3-1 2.53 ERA vs Dan Straily 1-2 5.01 ERA

Game 2 Time TBA
*TBA vs Tommy Milone 0-3 5.86 ERA

*indications are Erasmo Ramirez will be called up for a Wednesday start but not yet confirmed.

:L I hope not, it would be nice to go in there and steal more then two wins....

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe just one guy....
Yet the couple dozen times I have been up there for games the fans are so not baseball people. They are more interested in being seen at the sushi bar than the game. I have allot

I can't say your wrong about that. Generally about 50% of the fans that go to games hang out in the beer garden and dont really pay attention. The ones actually sitting in the stands typically arent big baseball fans and are just there for a family event.

The two teams couldn't be more different as far as how things are ran at the front office level, winning tradition, and current product on the field.

Your 100% correct here. The reason why the attendance has declined over 50% since 2001 is because of the inept front office which has led to terrible baseball. The M's I think tried to attempt the A's formula when they hired Jack Z and Wakamatsu back in 2009 but whiffed on it. They just havent been able to develop any sort of decent talent. Meanwhile it seems like the A's can turnover a rock and come up with a good starting pitcher. Down Parker and Griffin no problem, here comes Jesse Chavez and a resurrected Scott Kazmir. Not saying its luck but more extremely impressive.

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big rbi single by Hart!

He's been on a cold streak which only means he's due for a hot one

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yet the couple dozen times I have been up there for games the fans are so not baseball people. They are more interested in being seen at the sushi bar than the game. I have allot more to say but will bite my tongue.

I'm not even going to counter anything you're saying. Most of the fans that do show up at the Mariner games nowadays are there for the atmosphere and to hang out. Hardly any of them are die hard fans.

I can't say your wrong about that. Generally about 50% of the fans that go to games hang out in the beer garden and dont really pay attention. The ones actually sitting in the stands typically arent big baseball fans and are just there for a family event.

Fans in the beer garden are the worst. They pay a full price ticket, go there and buy overpriced beer and liquor, and don't watch a single inning of the game. Why not just go to a bar and watch the game?

I got dragged into the beer garden once for a buddy's birthday. Had to play wingman and caught like maybe one inning the entire time I was there

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another nice outing from Chris Young. He has quietly been a very underrated pickup for us this year.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice win. Guaranteed a winning road trip.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe just one guy....

But anyways. Your fans have always cracked us Oakland fans up.... So spoiled with that gem of a ballpark... Yet the couple dozen times I have been up there for games the fans are so not baseball people. They are more interested in being seen at the sushi bar than the game. I have allot more to say but will bite my tongue.

I have already had this convo with cezero and we came to the same conclusion.

Ya, we Oakland fans are very jealous of the ballpark up there. But that is where it ends. The two teams couldn't be more different as far as how things are ran at the front office level, winning tradition, and current product on the field.

Yep.

Nintendo and HowChuck cultivated a new "fan" type in Seattle. It's been very sad to see.

Hipsters in the beer garden and soccer moms/dads looking only for a wholesome experience with the family because the soccer games get too crazy...all of whom would have trouble naming anybody on the team outside of Felix and Cano. That's what this former baseball town has become thanks to a culture of losing.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gutsy outing by Elias today. Didnt have his best stuff but hung in there. Good to see the bats get hits with RISP. Regardless of what happens tommorrow it's been a great trip. 6-3 at the worst. Impressive turn around from essentially being dead in the water two weeks ago.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Justin Smoak is absolutely killing the ball with 2 outs and risp. Please be the time for him to put some consistency into his game.

I have a feeling Felix is going to dominate tomorrow. He owns the A's and we need a long outing from him to save the pen for game 2.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking forward to the double-header tomorrow afternoon. Hopefully Felix gets back to how he pitched in April (not that he's been especially bad this month, he just had a dominant April) so the M's can at least win the series and have a chance for the sweep in game 2. Great to see the bats get it going on this trip, especially with runners in scoring position and with 2 outs. They've gotta keep it going at home to give the fans something to be excited about when they come to the park. I do think it's hilarious that anyone would be sticking up for A's fans and trashing M's fans in the process. The A's might have a rich winning tradition, but you wouldn't know it based on the attendance every year.

Yes, I know the stadium is a piece of crap (literally) and isn't the easiest stadium in the league to get to, but it's still embarrassing that the A's can't sellout playoff games, even when given extensions, and are routinely towards the bottom of the league in attendance year after year even when the team is doing well. How do you win back-to-back division championships and start off the first five weeks of the following season averaging 20,000 fans a game? It took years of losing and front office apathy for the M's attendance to take a nosedive. Sure, a fair amount of people are coming to games more for the atmosphere and the alcohol than for the baseball these days, but again, that's what happens when you have 10 years of mostly losing baseball to look forward to. When the M's start winning again and the fans become convinced that it's not just a fluke, not only will more people start showing up to games again, but they'll be showing up more for the baseball than the ballpark again. You won't see empty seats for playoff games or attendance figures at the bottom of the league, that's for sure.

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about this? We sweep today, we take the lead in the division! That would make for a nice homecoming. Go M's!

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about this? We sweep today, we take the lead in the division! That would make for a nice homecoming. Go M's!

:L Well if this doesn't jinx it, ( I mean the M's still have a tendency of tripping over themselves)

It would be nice!

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:L Well if this doesn't jinx it, ( I mean the M's still have a tendency of tripping over themselves)

It would be nice!

I posted this, and then realized that Ramirez is pitching....:L is right.

My bad! :doh:

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Come on felix. He's not missing any bats early. Needs to take over that inside of the plate and put a few batters on their heels

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cory Hart with an absolutely demolished 1st pitch HR! 1-0 good guys

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good at bats early. Strailey up to 43 pitches after 2 innings. We can make game 2 a little more manageable if we can make the A's pen work hard in game 1.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, good catch by Crisp but he hit that wall flush. Might be a new cf for Oakland the rest of the day

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm late to the party, but have been watching the game. Can we send Miller down already!?! If he costs Felix this game I hope he gets a fastball to the face!