• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: M's @ Rockies: July 20th & 21st

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He still faced the lineup twice through. He didnt face Blackmon and Story any less then he would have starting. Plus neither of those guys are having great years so there's no need to use an opener because of that. But yeah dumb reasoning

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
100% bullshit. If McCaughan is so mentally fragile that he can't face Story and Blackmon then either he needs to find another career or they needed to call up someone else. The most hilarious part about it is that Colorado sent all 9 hitters to the plate in the first inning, so McCaughan started the 2nd inning in the exact same position as if he had started the game. The guy only gave up 0 hits in the 5 innings he pitched, so if anything he should be upset at Dipoto and Servais for having so little faith in him. As it stands, as SeattleCoug stated earlier, this loss falls 100% on Dipoto/Servais for outhinking and outmaneuvering themselves in what very well could have been a win.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Got a love bullpen days. Good thing we probably screwed up Middleton who’s been great in relief

MarinersBestFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just dont get this. They had an off day so you can use Flexen on 4 days rest.

They are like 1-8 in bullpen games so I dont get the reasoning behind doing them when you dont have to.

If they end up missing a playoff spot by a couple games, I'm gonna go ahead and point to these games that they are essentially punting.
Agree

That dude they rolled out there to start the game looked terrible, walking batters - grooving bp speed fastballs over the heart of the plate.
Its like they are trying not to win at times as you stated.

Kraken just embarked on the same low budget philosophy as the Ms. The news reported the 30 man roster was made up of nearly all non marquis B squad players from around the league. They had multi millions to burn up and they went bargain hunting I guess to see who enters free agency soon ? Not a great message to send out to your fan base

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree

That dude they rolled out there to start the game looked terrible, walking batters - grooving bp speed fastballs over the heart of the plate.

Kraken just embarked on the same low budget philosophy as the Ms. The news reported the 30 man roster was made up of nearly all non marquis B squad players from around the league. They had multi millions to burn up and they went bargain hunting I guess to see who enters free agency soon ? Not a great message to send out to your fan base
I am not a hockey fan, maybe that will change now, but I was interested in seeing which path they would take with two totally opposite ownership methods to use right within the state. It sounds like according to you they went the Mariners route. Not good for the PNW.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because some team a few years ago made the playoffs with this strategy and so it must be the strategy of the future, or some such nonsense.
Didn’t think whole opener thing only really start when the Astros staff dominated the playoffs? The bullpen game is idiotic but the “opener” has at least logic on paper….but you have to have the right players to pull it off.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Middleton needed no help being screwed up. He's been slightly better than Montero.
Are you on crack? He’s been Hands-down better than Montero- not even close

Attachments

• 52BC4664-6150-4C01-99CB-61452047C329.png
    52BC4664-6150-4C01-99CB-61452047C329.png
    583.1 KB · Views: 5

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you on crack? He’s been Hands-down better than Montero- not even close

Have you watched him pitch? He has not been good. There's a reason he doesn't pitch in high leverage situations the way Sewald, Steck, Miz, and Graveman do regularly.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree

ill give the Kraken a bit before I paint them with that brush. Although with what they are charging for tickets, I hope thats not the case

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn’t think whole opener thing only really start when the Astros staff dominated the playoffs? The bullpen game is idiotic but the “opener” has at least logic on paper….but you have to have the right players to pull it off.
I get the reasoning behind it. But the Mariners haven't really done it all year, (I dont think all bullpen games count) so why now?

Middleton had for sure never done it so I just am not sure.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have you watched him pitch? He has not been good. There's a reason he doesn't pitch in high leverage situations the way Sewald, Steck, Miz, and Graveman do regularly.
We haven't always agreed but I'm with you here. He was decent in April but has not been good at all lately.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The team I was referring to was the 2018 Tampa Bay Rays. It was the last season I had cable and watched consistent baseball - and it was a huge novelty story on ESPN for months.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get the reasoning behind it. But the Mariners haven't really done it all year, (I dont think all bullpen games count) so why now?

Middleton had for sure never done it so I just am not sure.
I totally get the concept on paper. But like a lot stuff analytics has implemented it makes sense only on paper. The opener on paper should be your closer, not some middle of the road bullpen arm. The whole point is so your starter doesn’t have to face the heart of the order 3 times. Well in what world is the game tied and the heart of the order is coming up and the manager tosses in just a dude in the bullpen. Just to me, in real life it makes sense just have your starter to try for a “quality start” and go from there with your staff instead of essentially deciding yeah let’s chase 2 runs all game.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The team I was referring to was the 2018 Tampa Bay Rays. It was the last season I had cable and watched consistent baseball - and it was a huge novelty story on ESPN for months.
Oh, I just remember it was some revelation when the Astros won the World Series that they used their bullpen the way they did