• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mr Smith offers?

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he viewed it that way, and that was all it was about, he'd have signed. So he either thinks 8-11 is too low of a big pay day (I doubt) or he's going for the guaranteed.

I'm set with gtd at 7M per, I would imagine that is what he would get with the fluffy 8-11 deal on the table. That would mean it is backloaded. Again, if he's looking for more gtd (above 7M per) then imo he is looking for a big pay day. I think we have all the leverage here and are simply waiting for the market to dry up so he can tuck his tail between his legs and take a starting gig with us.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm set with gtd at 7M per, I would imagine that is what he would get with the fluffy 8-11 deal on the table. That would mean it is backloaded. Again, if he's looking for more gtd (above 7M per) then imo he is looking for a big pay day. I think we have all the leverage here and are simply waiting for the market to dry up so he can tuck his tail between his legs and take a starting gig with us.

I guess I don't get what you mean by 7M/year gtd. That's 21 gtd total for the deal. 20.5 was reportedly too much for a 5 year deal, how is that not too much for a three year deal? Out of 8-11 per year contract, 24-33 million total, I don't think Smith would get 21M gtd, backloaded or not, unless all of that was a roster bonus, which is not really gtd despite its name, like Kolb's 7M.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I don't get what you mean by 7M/year gtd. That's 21 gtd total for the deal. 20.5 was reportedly too much for a 5 year deal, how is that not too much for a three year deal? Out of 8-11 per year contract, 24-33 million total, I don't think Smith would get 21M gtd, backloaded or not, unless all of that was a roster bonus, which is not really gtd despite its name, like Kolb's 7M.

I consider 7M gtd to be the total base salary and signing bonus charge per year to the cap. Any other bonuses, and incentives would be the fluff.

ViperVisor

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Getting the WRs in order and fixing that RG abortion and Smith will see that this is the best team for him vs. somewhere that might pay a bit more.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I consider 7M gtd to be the total base salary and signing bonus charge per year to the cap. Any other bonuses, and incentives would be the fluff.

Ahh, I considered gtd to be what the team would hypothetically owe Smith if they cut him a minute after the deal was signed and accepted by the league. If that were the case, Smith would be a fool not to sign a 21 gtd three year deal. Some think he'd be a fool not to sign a 12 gtd deal. Some people would play for free (and get cut for nothing).

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Getting the WRs in order and fixing that RG abortion and Smith will see that this is the best team for him vs. somewhere that might pay a bit more.

I agree. Clearly our priority this off-season is to provide weapons for our QB. If we land Lloyd and can field Davis, Moss & Lloyd as our top three receivers for next season - Smith would seemingly be a fools fool to not sign what I'm sure is a fair offer before him.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
San Francisco 49ers‏@49ersbuzztap:

"CSNBayArea >> Day 1 recap: Alex Smith free-agent talk muted http://buzztap.com/-2g5g6h"

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
San Francisco 49ers‏@49ersbuzztap:

"CSNBayArea >> Day 1 recap: Alex Smith free-agent talk muted http://buzztap.com/-2g5g6h"

Does that mean teams interested in him and Smith's representatives aren't talking... or does that mean nothing is going on?

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does that mean teams interested in him and Smith's representatives aren't talking... or does that mean nothing is going on?

I take it to mean that whatever is or isn't going on, Condon and the 49ers are not providing those details to the media.

I would be surprised if any other team(s) expressed serious interest in Smith as a starter and even more surprised, even shocked, if Smith signed elsewhere.

In my mind the 49ers are holding all the Ace's; therefore, allowing Smith to become a FA seems to say that Smith has a near take-it or leave-it offer.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Why would Condon/Smith wanna keep it quiet that other teams are interested in him?

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
It all comes down to him not really having anything to lose by not currently putting pen to paper.

For example it's very unlikely but what if Seattle loses out on Matt Flynn and decides to give Alex a call to get some feelers on him. Again very unlikely but you might you might as well hold on and see if something does happen.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It all comes down to him not really having anything to lose by not currently putting pen to paper.

For example it's very unlikely but what if Seattle loses out on Matt Flynn and decides to give Alex a call to get some feelers on him. Again very unlikely but you might you might as well hold on and see if something does happen.

I don't think that's the thought process. He and Condon know that the 49ers are gonna give them the best contract. I believe Alex when he says it's just a few minor details, and that he should sign soon.

RedneckNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe their is no real interest as teams wait to see where Manning lands. If Manning lands in Arizona Kolb becomes available. Flynn is available way too early in free agency. That being sai it would be a real shock if Alex doesn't sign with the Niners.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
will he ever be ready to start? just throwing him out there is a good way to tank the season

Using that logic you can say that every season. When will we ever know if he's ready if you're not willing to see?

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So just curious ...did Alex get ANY offers from other clubs or letters of interest? Not a bash ...just wondering when the guy is going to resign with us...I know its in his best interest with an offer on the table from us to "fish" right now but seriously did he get another offer that has not been disclosed? thanks in advance if you guys have any info..

I've been thinking all along that he won't get any. Not sure I'd like the 49ers to play extreme hard ball with him though. If the reports were accurate, the offer they made him was fair. I don't see the 49ers going after anyone else unless its Manning.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe their is no real interest as teams wait to see where Manning lands. If Manning lands in Arizona Kolb becomes available. Flynn is available way too early in free agency. That being sai it would be a real shock if Alex doesn't sign with the Niners.

Ya, I think you are on to something there. The QB tales will unfold once Manning signs somewhere.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Using that logic you can say that every season. When will we ever know if he's ready if you're not willing to see?

gotta see him develop over a 2-3 year period. he came out of college as a raw qb.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
gotta see him develop over a 2-3 year period. he came out of college as a raw qb.

So did the cat from Auburn and he did well last year. If they could not sign Smith I would not be averse to just putting Kaepernick out there and seeing what he can do. No better circumstances to learn under than when you got a stellar defense backing you up.