• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Moss not at 49ers workouts

powerchord86

Tolerator
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,744.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Surprised Face:

shocked_face.jpg

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not a sign at all if they all agreed it would happen before signing

“Randy’s not in and that was something discussed with Randy when we made the arrangment and signed him,” Baalke said at the end of Wednesday morning’s pre-draft press conference. “That is not unexpected by any stretch.”

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some interesting comments from Baalke.

“We have one (prospect) we feel real good about. If we’re able to move up or not move up, we’ve got to be prepared to make a pick at 30. There is one (prospect) in particular we feel will be there, and if he’s there we’ll make the pick.”

“Dan Kilgore certainly wants that position. Mike Person wants that position. Alex Boone wants that position. There’s options,” Baalke said. “They’ve had a year to develop and are ready to compete for that role. There’s still a draft and free agency.”

About that Peyton Manning recruitment … Baalke finally addressed it, somewhat, a month afterward: “I’m certainly not going to talk about players not on the 49ers. As GM, my job is to look at every possible scenario to make the team the best it can be.”

Asked about the potential drafting of Stanford tight end Coby Fleener, Baalke declined to comment on him or any other prospect. He did note that coach Jim Harbaugh’s Stanford ties make it “hard not to overvalue players.” Thus, the personnel department will review film of all prospects multiple times, even though Baalke noted that initial instincts typically are the best to follow.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Quote:
“We have one (prospect) we feel real good about. If we’re able to move up or not move up, we’ve got to be prepared to make a pick at 30. There is one (prospect) in particular we feel will be there, and if he’s there we’ll make the pick.”

can't help but think he isn't somebody on our radar? similar to last year when Aldon Smith wasn't on our radar (not talked a lot on this board)? this isn't to say nobody will have heard of him, just someone not mentioned a lot.

cause if he's confident this prospect will be there, then that means he's not high up on most mocks. he's likely projected mid to late 2nd?

also, if he's confident he'll be there, why trade up?

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is this a bad sign already?

Moss not among 60 players at 49ers workouts | 49ers Hot Read

I think I know where he is. He must be hanging out a Crabtree's condo. :-)
LOL.

I doubt Moss is the type of receiver who will be successful in the 49ers pedestrian passing attack. My understanding is that he will only run straight ahead routes and deep routes; the very routes which Alex Smith does not have the arm strength for.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt Moss is the type of receiver who will be successful in the 49ers pedestrian passing attack. My understanding is that he will only run straight ahead routes and deep routes; the very routes which Alex Smith does not have the arm strength for.

Actually, Smith has plenty of arm strength for the deep go's, posts & seams that Moss will likely be targeted on.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't agree with this.

There are many fans, whom, for the lack of understand passing offenses and the role arm strength plays in throwing the tree that would disagree with me as well.

Arm strength (velocity) is MUCH more of an asset for beating defenders and hitting tight window's than for throwing deep routes. The deepest routes in any NFL play book are designed for reception to take place between ~40-45 yards.

Think about it, how many deeps did Alex miss last year because he "under-threw" the receiver - Zero. As I said, Smith has plenty of arm strength for the deep go's, posts & seams that Moss will likely be targeted on.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

thats why they're going to see what he's got left, to get away from being pedestrian.

even if he runs mostly straight ahead and deep routes, as long as he does it well, fine with me. not expecting him to play every down anyway, so maybe its good we 'save him' for "obvious" passing downs?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are many fans, whom, for the lack of understand passing offenses and the role arm strength plays in throwing the tree that would disagree with me as well.

Arm strength (velocity) is MUCH more of an asset for beating defenders and hitting tight window's than for throwing deep routes. The deepest routes in any NFL play book are designed for reception to take place between ~40-45 yards.

Think about it, how many deeps did Alex miss last year because he "under-threw" the receiver - Zero. As I said, Smith has plenty of arm strength for the deep go's, posts & seams that Moss will likely be targeted on.

I think NinerSickness is talking about accuracy, not actual arm strength, because I feel all NFL QBs and backups can throw the ball 40-45 yards easily. It comes down to timing with the receiver, confidence to take the risk, and exact spots of the throws to be successful, something that these doubters use the relative lack of deep throws to simplify it to "arm strength". So, you're right, to mis-take velocity with deep ball ability is a bit skewed - that's not to say he's any good at it. Deep passes has clearly not been his forte, but Alex is strong enough to be our QB - it's the consistency, timing, and accuracy that he needs to improve on. Plus, there are some things that Alex can do well that overall put him above the backups and in the middle of starting QBs without the deep passes.* This year, I can't say he has a new system, poor receivers, or lack of time to learn. Sink or swim, Alex.

* I don't give a rat's ass about yards per game when our starting field position was the best in the league. His yards per pass was average, making him somewhere between above average and below average to me, overall. What concerns me with the offense is the red zone and the third down conversions where outside of the NFCC game he was average to below average on.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think NinerSickness is talking about accuracy, not actual arm strength, because I feel all NFL QBs and backups can throw the ball 40-45 yards easily. It comes down to timing with the receiver, confidence to take the risk, and exact spots of the throws to be successful, something that these doubters use the relative lack of deep throws to simplify it to "arm strength". So, you're right, to mis-take velocity with deep ball ability is a bit skewed - that's not to say he's any good at it. Deep passes has clearly not been his forte, but Alex is strong enough to be our QB - it's the consistency, timing, and accuracy that he needs to improve on. Plus, there are some things that Alex can do well that overall put him above the backups and in the middle of starting QBs without the deep passes.* This year, I can't say he has a new system, poor receivers, or lack of time to learn. Sink or swim, Alex.

* I don't give a rat's ass about yards per game when our starting field position was the best in the league. His yards per pass was average, making him somewhere between above average and below average to me, overall. What concerns me with the offense is the red zone and the third down conversions where outside of the NFCC game he was average to below average on.

Goodness gracious, arm strength and accuracy are two completely different things. His disagreement seemed specific to arm strength to me - but whatever. The point remains the same - Alex has plenty of arm strength to throw deep routes - accuracy, on the other hand could use some improvement - on both sides of the equation - QB & WR.

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Goodness gracious, arm strength and accuracy are two completely different things. His disagreement seemed specific to arm strength to me - but whatever. The point remains the same - Alex has plenty of arm strength to throw deep routes - accuracy, on the other hand could use some improvement - on both sides of the equation - QB & WR.

:fish: smith always had the arm strength, so much so he over throws his receivers on those passes

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:doh: I was just trying to find some middle ground or make sense with the constant bashing of Alex. There are enough weaknesses and limitations from most QBs, including Alex, that there's no point in adding to them. But I can see where the bashing could get to the point where people think he lacks strength to pass the ball far when he's known for overthrowing the receiver. Especially when accompanied by a backup who can throw it further. (I'll avoid accuracy strengths or weaknesses for this one, as that has had it's long thread already)

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:doh: I was just trying to find some middle ground or make sense with the constant bashing of Alex. There are enough weaknesses and limitations from most QBs, including Alex, that there's no point in adding to them. But I can see where the bashing could get to the point where people think he lacks strength to pass the ball far when he's known for overthrowing the receiver. Especially when accompanied by a backup who can throw it further. (I'll avoid accuracy strengths or weaknesses for this one, as that has had it's long thread already)

Ha ha...I hear ya. Yeah, to say Smith doesn't have the arm strength to throw the "go's" is just silly. Now, to say he lacks the velocity to beat a close defender on a wide, deep out or split defenders on a medium curl, now you have a conversation; but, probably not much of an argument because Smith's lack of velocity is not a secret.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, Smith has plenty of arm strength for the deep go's, posts & seams that Moss will likely be targeted on.

Unfortunately Moss won't run a seam or anything resembling a crossing pattern. I see him having about as much impact as Ted Ginn had as a receiver. They won't be able to get the ball to him.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
thats why they're going to see what he's got left, to get away from being pedestrian.

even if he runs mostly straight ahead and deep routes, as long as he does it well, fine with me. not expecting him to play every down anyway, so maybe its good we 'save him' for "obvious" passing downs?

The price was certainly right.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Maiocco:

49ers coach Jim Harbaugh said it was his idea for Randy Moss to stay home awhile longer and report to offseason program on April 30.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maiocco:

49ers coach Jim Harbaugh said it was his idea for Randy Moss to stay home awhile longer and report to offseason program on April 30.

huh. moss was gone for a year, he could use the time to get back into playing shape. there's something we're not being told me thinks.