• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Morgan placed on IR, Chase Beeler released from PS

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
As we touched on earlier, this IS the game for Crabtree to really step up and take command/lead as a WR in the NFL.... we're going to need to play withing himself and beyond himself to make up for Morgan.

Exxxactly!

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Bench the dependable receiver for the undependable one - Brilliant strategy!

Sorry, but you seriously need to check your player evalu skills - Edwards and Morgan would have been the starters. Crabtree is not there yet.

We won't know now, but I would have wagered it would go the other way. Since Crabtree has come back, Smith has looked to him as his go-to receiver.

For the record, I'm not even arguing that Crabtree has been better than Morgan, though I think he has made several receptions that Morgan would not have. I just think it's pretty clear the coaching staff and/or Smith had him above Morgan before this incident.

Last edited by a moderator:

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
We won't know now, but I would have wagered it would go the other way. Since Crabtree has come back, Smith has looked to him as his go-to receiver.

Very true. You have your man and I have mine. Mine is out for the year and now it is time for your man to step up and become the game impacting WR we thought we drafted three years ago.

Obviously Crabtree will get a lot of targets Sunday and nothing would make me happier than to see him stat-sheet an 11 catch/zero drop/160 yard/2 TD day.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The love you two have for each other brings a tear to my eye.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

For the record, I'm not even arguing that Crabtree has been better than Morgan, though I think he has made several receptions that Morgan would not have. I just think it's pretty clear the coaching staff and/or Smith had him above Morgan before this incident.

Well, yeah, that's because there is no argument about which WR is/was better right now. This goes back to when I said I would take Morgan over Crabtree, you just watched five games worth of why I was dead right to say that.

As for Crabtree making catches Morgan would not have, please, for the Love of God, just stop with this nonsense. There is not a single catch that Crabtree has made this or any year, that Morgan has not at some point in his career made as well.

Frankly, and more importantly, you and Crabtree need to worry about him making the catches he should make not the ones some other receiver can‘t make. So, again, will you please just stop with these ridiculous unfounded speculations. They do not prove your point - they do, however, prove nothing.

Finally, what is giving you this impression that "it [was] pretty clear the coaching staff and/or Smith had him above Morgan before this incident."

The only advantage Crabtree had for starting over Morgan was his contract. All other tangibles and intangibles belonged to Morgan. In Harbaugh's ‘no mistake’ offense, how many dropped 1st down or TD passes do you think Crabtree has on account before Harbaugh would pull him? I honestly do not see either Ginn, or, for that matter, Williams being in awe of Michael Crabtree.

Furthermore, with Edwards in the lineup our next most productive AND most reliable WR was Morgan, not Crabtree - So, I don't know where you went to GM school, brother, but I think you need to get your money back. ;)

Hey, this is as you mentioned and I acknowledged and mute point, so you can have the final word on this. And we'll both hope that Crabtree steps up for the team on Sunday.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Well, yeah, that's because there is no argument about which WR is/was better right now. This goes back to when I said I would take Morgan over Crabtree, you just watched five games worth of why I was dead right to say that.

As for Crabtree making catches Morgan would not have, please, for the Love of God, just stop with this nonsense. There is not a single catch that Crabtree has made this or any year, that Morgan has not at some point in his career made as well.

Frankly, and more importantly, you and Crabtree need to worry about him making the catches he should make not the ones some other receiver can‘t make. So, again, will you please just stop with these ridiculous unfounded speculations. They do not prove your point - they do, however, prove nothing.

Finally, what is giving you this impression that "it [was] pretty clear the coaching staff and/or Smith had him above Morgan before this incident."

The only advantage Crabtree had for starting over Morgan was his contract. All other tangibles and intangibles belonged to Morgan. In Harbaugh's ‘no mistake’ offense, how many dropped 1st down or TD passes do you think Crabtree has on account before Harbaugh would pull him? I honestly do not see either Ginn, or, for that matter, Williams being in awe of Michael Crabtree.

Furthermore, with Edwards in the lineup our next most productive AND most reliable WR was Morgan, not Crabtree - So, I don't know where you went to GM school, brother, but I think you need to get your money back. ;)

Hey, this is as you mentioned and I acknowledged and mute point, so you can have the final word on this. And we'll both hope that Crabtree steps up for the team on Sunday.

That's a lot of typing to say a whole lot of nothing. I'm not going to debate Crabtree vs. Morgan any more. You still haven't actually offered anything to support your opinion other than disparaging Crabtree. I think Crabtree offers more, though I like Morgan. You disagree. We'll see what Crabtree does for the rest of the year, and we can revisit this at the end of their careers if we're both still around.

As for why I think it's clear Crabtree is our go-to guy at WR (contingent upon Edwards' return), he's been targeted 22 times, three times more than Morgan, despite playing one-and-a-half fewer games. Since game three, when Crabtree returned full time, he has been the target of 21 passes to Morgan's 12. Now, I can't say with certainty if the coaches are calling more plays with Crabtree as the primary read, if Smith relies on him more, or if Crabtree is just getting open more often. But he is indisputably getting more looks, and to me that indicates either the staff or Smith, and very likely both, view him as the primary option.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Oh, and further (and perhaps the most compelling) evidence that the coaches viewed Crabtree ahead of Morgan on the depth chart: Morgan was in on the play in which he was injured. At that point in the game, we clearly had our top guys out. And it was Morgan, not Crabtree, who was in as our third WR. Given the reverse ranking that was going on at that point, it's just one more indication that the staff viewed/views Crabtree as the number one WR, at least until Edwards returns.

No thoughts on the thoughts above, MW?

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tough loss about Morgan. guessing Ginn will be the starter and Walker and Davis will see an even more increased role. Hoping to see Williams get some more time as well.

Need Crab to start stepping up!

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Tough loss about Morgan. guessing Ginn will be the starter and Walker and Davis will see an even more increased role. Hoping to see Williams get some more time as well.

Need Crab to start stepping up!

'83, I gotta tell ya, you have unearthed my secret wish. While I honestly hope Crabtree becomes what we thought he would become, my real wish is to see Ginn & Edwards outside the #'s with either Crabtree or Williams in the slot.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Before the season, I truly felt Edwards was going to blow up in the offense..... damn injury!

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Before the season, I truly felt Edwards was going to blow up in the offense..... damn injury!

Same. Think about how much our offense has improved with him on the sideline, then think about how much more threatning our pass attack will be 1-2 games after his return.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Same. Think about how much our offense has improved with him on the sideline, then think about how much more threatning our pass attack will be 1-2 games after his return.

Very true. With Edwards back, we've got a very good group of skill position players. If the OL can continue to play well, this offense could see a dramatic improvement.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Very true. With Edwards back, we've got a very good group of skill position players. If the OL can continue to play well, this offense could see a dramatic improvement.

Wholeheartedly agree!

Have to throw Alex in that comment as well. It is quite possible that what we all thought was our weakness in weeks 1-3, could very easily become our strength in weeks 13-17.

We have a long way to go, but the possibility exists and it is intriguing to think about, IMO.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have some real weapons, if healthy.... Edwards, Crabtree(like or no like), Davis, Walker/Ginn/Morgan, Gore, Hunter....... These are real weapons with a mixture of domianance, vet and youth..... this is great for us!

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
We have some real weapons, if healthy.... Edwards, Crabtree(like or no like), Davis, Walker/Ginn/Morgan, Gore, Hunter....... These are real weapons with a mixture of domianance, vet and youth..... this is great for us!

Hunter has been great. Ginn and Walker should be serviceable for a week. This offense is functional even without all our WR's in the mix.

We might have had similar WR talent in the past with Braylon out and all, but the scheme is a lot more WR friendly.

With Det's pressure and crowd, I could see the offense struggling though. As far as the season, I'm really not worried because the offense is so much more effective.

FourBeeDen

Semi Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It seems like everyone is focused on Crabtree/Walker/Ginn but the Niners also have Kyle Williams... He has not gotten the chance to show what he can do... This is his chance to step up as well...

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

The offense has tremendous talent if they can put it together. With Smith playing well, I think the onus is on the OL continuing to play well. Smith has demonstrated that he can be pretty darn dangerous when he has time to set his feet and step into his throws. There's no denying the OL's physical talent, but we'll need a good game from them to win this week. It's too bad Chilo couldn't get his act together, as Snyder vs. Suh seems like a terrible, terrible matchup for us. If the OL continues to improve, though, Gore/Hunter, Davis, Walker, Edwards and Crabtree give us a very dynamic and dangerous group.

One of the nice things about our great start is that, with the lockout, we have more room to improve than most teams. It's unrealistic to expect major improvement every game, but it's also very possible and even likely that this team is just scratching the surface on both sides of the ball.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
It seems like everyone is focused on Crabtree/Walker/Ginn but the Niners also have Kyle Williams... He has not gotten the chance to show what he can do... This is his chance to step up as well...

One of the few bright spots in Morgan's injury is that we should have an opportunity to see more of Williams. His TD against the Cowboys was a thing of beauty. He's got quickness that I don't think any of our other receivers can match. It'd be nice to see him in the slot from time to time.