• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

More Whining from an SEC Coach

umichgradfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reportedly, Gus Malzahn has claimed the SEC is at a "disadvantage" in the CFP because. . . wait for it. . . other conferences are "fresher." Apparently, SEC teams are worn out from playing each other. Never mind the fact that the majority of SEC teams schedule a November "breather" into their November slates--a league game is played earlier rather than later in the season as with Auburn's season-opener vs. Arkansas or South Carolina's vs. Texas A&M last year. But, it suggests that the specific fatigue issue shouldn't be an issue at all. Alabama, for example, had both a bye and a game vs. mighty Western Carolina over its final six weeks while Ohio State played six consecutive Big Ten opponents. "Freshness" is just another "excuse," and Malzahn is just another whining SEC coach trying to spin an old narrative. It's embarrassing.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't get the objection to Malzahn's comments. Should be common knowledge that playing an SEC schedule is more challenging than playing a schedule in any other conference.

umichgradfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't get the objection to Malzahn's comments. Should be common knowledge that playing an SEC schedule is more challenging than playing a schedule in any other conference.

Yup. That's just the excuse Malzahn offered. But, here's a question: Why is this just affecting SEC teams now when it apparently didn't before?

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reportedly, Gus Malzahn has claimed the SEC is at a "disadvantage" in the CFP because. . . wait for it. . . other conferences are "fresher." Apparently, SEC teams are worn out from playing each other. Never mind the fact that the majority of SEC teams schedule a November "breather" into their November slates--a league game is played earlier rather than later in the season as with Auburn's season-opener vs. Arkansas or South Carolina's vs. Texas A&M last year. But, it suggests that the specific fatigue issue shouldn't be an issue at all. Alabama, for example, had both a bye and a game vs. mighty Western Carolina over its final six weeks while Ohio State played six consecutive Big Ten opponents. "Freshness" is just another "excuse," and Malzahn is just another whining SEC coach trying to spin an old narrative. It's embarrassing.

I'd trade you schedules for the last 6 weeks.

Other than that, don't really give a fuck. It's not like there is anything that can be done about it even if true. So what's the point? It is the way it is, deal with it.

The only way I can see this applying is that it's the reason why I think "Conference champions" for playoffs is a stupid idea.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup. That's just the excuse Malzahn offered. But, here's a question: Why is this just affecting SEC teams now when it apparently didn't before?

No idea. Far as I can recall, it's always been like that.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Other than that, don't really give a fuck. It's not like there is anything that can be done about it even if true. So what's the point? It is the way it is, deal with it.

The only way I can see this applying is that it's the reason why I think "Conference champions" for playoffs is a stupid idea.

As long as it's just a 4 team playoff, I agree.

umichgradfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yup. That's what I say, too: Deal with it. . . and quit whining about it.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's a matter of team depth...

It's the reason why people discredit teams like Boise St just because they win a single good game all year long. There is a difference between playing a single good team and playing 7-8 top 50 teams every year. You have to have good team depth to compete in tougher conferences.

SEC is probably a little tougher, but I don't see what difference it really makes among the P5 teams or could be done about it(even if something should be done about it, which I can't really see either).

Well, maybe more importance could be made on SoS.

umichgradfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No idea. Far as I can recall, it's always been like that.

Why is it suddenly a problem, then? Could it be because play-ff teams now have to earn a berth in the NC game?

umichgradfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

SEC is probably a little tougher, but I don't see what difference it really makes among the P5 teams or could be done about it(even if something should be done about it, which I can't really see either).

I agree. And, that's what the committee looks at as well.

cwerph

Go Bucks!
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It must be true. They say it on ESPN all the time.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It must be true. They say it on ESPN all the time.

Exactly. ESPN built the SEC. Has nothing to do with what's on the field.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, I should say SEC West in these posts. Playing a SEC East schedule is probably a little easier than some other conferences lately if you are a team like Georgia or Mizzou. While playing the SEC West has been way more difficult than any other conference.

Maybe the solution to Malzhans problem is actually within the SEC itself. The SEC needs to get rid of divisions and start rotating all teams so things aren't such an unbalanced mess. Be good for all teams. Lets the west have a few easier teams in the rotation every year(Vandy and Kentucky are both east teams), and add some needed strength to the East teams schedule.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, I should say SEC West in these posts. Playing a SEC East schedule is probably a little easier than some other conferences lately if you are a team like Georgia or Mizzou. While playing the SEC West has been way more difficult than any other conference.

Maybe the solution to Malzhans problem is actually within the SEC itself. The SEC needs to get rid of divisions and start rotating all teams so things aren't such an unbalanced mess. Be good for all teams. Lets the west have a few easier teams in the rotation every year(Vandy and Kentucky are both east teams), and add some needed strength to the East teams schedule.

Same thing was going on in the Big 12 when the only respectable teams in the north were either K-State, Mizzou, or Nebraska, but never at the same time. In the south you had legitimate contenders in Oklahoma, Texas, and at various times Texas Tech, Texas A&M, and on occasion Oklahoma state.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same thing was going on in the Big 12 when the only respectable teams in the north were either K-State, Mizzou, or Nebraska, but never at the same time. In the south you had legitimate contenders in Oklahoma, Texas, and at various times Texas Tech, Texas A&M, and on occasion Oklahoma state.

Well until this summer you weren't allowed to do anything other than that format. But they crushed all those rules this past spring so now they can do something better.

I hope they do sooner rather than later.

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's the reason why people discredit teams like Boise St just because they win a single good game all year long. There is a difference between playing a single good team and playing 7-8 top 50 teams every year. You have to have good team depth to compete in tougher conferences.

The SEC is supposed to be the best players up and down the depth chart. If that is true and that it is really a more difficult schedule in the SEC doesn't that depth help keep them fresh?

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The SEC is supposed to be the best players up and down the depth chart. If that is true and that it is really a more difficult schedule in the SEC doesn't that depth help keep them fresh?

Last year was a rebuilding year for Alabama.

Our depth went to the NFL the past few seasons.