• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

More evidence small committee is bad idea

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have faith in a small committee

But I can say this.

If you think the BCS process was a bees nest for fans wait for the committee.

It will consume message boards.

Peeps gonna be pissed.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
how many is a small committee?
how many is a large committee?

FSUmanager

FeartheSpear
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem before the BCS was #1 did not always play #2 in the bowl games.

This is exactly what I was talking about. No matter what system you come up with there will be people bitching and moaning. The reason being is that they will ALWAYS use polls to create the rankings. There is no way around it. SO again I ask what do people want? There is prejudice in every pollster and you cannot remove it. So what is the OPs thought of a system that removes this factor he is complaining about?

yeodonie

Small Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is exactly what I was talking about. No matter what system you come up with there will be people bitching and moaning. The reason being is that they will ALWAYS use polls to create the rankings. There is no way around it. SO again I ask what do people want? There is prejudice in every pollster and you cannot remove it. So what is the OPs thought of a system that removes this factor he is complaining about?

You're right and you've made my point. There is prejudice so you have to use a large enough group to minimize those fringe voters

FSUmanager

FeartheSpear
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Solution is simple. keep the current system for ranking teams and take those 4.

Except replace coaches poll with AP or something equally as large

The AP poll has many of those whackos who have never played the game. SO that does not remove the idiot factor. It only minimizes it. The committee will do just fine. The NCAA March Madness is selected by committee so why not football?

For me personally the committee will work the best IF it is nobody but former coaches. They know more about the game, matchups, and SOS than any pollster out there. But no matter what system you have if it uses ANY poll the idiot factor is there and will always be there. People bitch about the BCS every single year so that is not a great system either. I personally think it has worked, but most people absolutely hate it.

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
0 people agree with this idiot's top 5. He should not be allowed to even cast a ballot.
Wrong I agree with it. The top 4 have all beat decent teams, what have the others done? tOSU, Bama, Oregon, Lousiville...none have done anything of worth yet. The top teams have been reward for what they did on the field not for opinion.

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Solution is simple. keep the current system for ranking teams and take those 4.

Except replace coaches poll with AP or something equally as large

So replace the coaches with the AP who has a massive agenda?

Harris poll is 1/3 of the selection process, but the AP has already been made a mockery when associated with the BCS.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Bitching and moaning doesn't mean a damn thing to me. Right and wrong does.

I've heard teams like Boise St bitch and moan for years. Do not give a fuck.

BamaTee1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I kinda like his poll. His top four teams have beat teams of substance whereas Alabama Oregon Stanford Ohio State have not.

Obviously we could do this all day/ Everyone has an opinion but you think a Miami win over a team everyone in here says was way overrated, turned the ball over 5 times in the red zone, played them at home and only won by 6 is better than a 25 point win over Virginia Tech at a neutral site? Oregon's wins have been impressive too. Not necessary in major quality but style. Going across the country and kicking Virginia's ass is pretty strong! Especially considering Va beat BYU who just manhandled Texas. Again, not meant to divert thread, just a few examples of how many opinions would differ which makes OP point a pretty good one! I think they should use the BCS formula from before and take the 4 teams. People bitch but in all honesty the BCS was pretty accurate. The four they have up there, besides Clemson, have not earned a thing.

FSUmanager

FeartheSpear
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bitching and moaning doesn't mean a damn thing to me. Right and wrong does.

I've heard teams like Boise St bitch and moan for years. Do not give a fuck.

I agree with the bitching, but that is all you will here and see no matter the system used.

As far as the bold that is subjective in itself. It brings in people's prejudices just like the anything else.

I do not care about the system itself. I have been sick of listening and reading people bitch about every system the last 30 years. It is stupid because there is absolutely no great system out there. The only one that nobody could state there is an agenda or mass prejudice is to have the 6 major conference champions get an automatic bid into the playoff and pick the last 2 for an 8 team playoff. But the 4 is what we have and what we will need to deal with.

FSUmanager

FeartheSpear
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

FSUmanager

FeartheSpear
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It has nothing to do with that particular pollster :L

:doh: That was a jab at pointing him out in the first place.

The point is that NO POLLSTER will be part of the committee. According to the director of the new committee they will consist of 1 current AD from the 5 Power Conferences, Retired Coaches, 1 Retired media member, Retired ADs, and Retired Admins from schools. So there will be NO active media Pollster d-bags on the committee. So again how will what you are foreseeing come to pass when NO MEDIA MEMBERS are part of the committee? THat was the point of your OP in the first place that whackos(in your eyes) like this guy could possibly be part of the committee choosing the 4 teams. Without them being a part of it what is the problem again?

1. Each of the 5 major conferences will have a representative on the committee
2. There will be former coaches on it(knowledgeable on the games, matchups, body of work, and so on)
3. Former ADs on the committee who know the game fairly well.
4. Most importantly only 1 RETIRED media person on the committee.
5. They may eventually add an AD from conferences like the WAC, MAC, and so on depending on what happens.

I do not see a problem with the people that they are selecting the committee from since the obvious bias of pollsters will only be relegated to the normal polls. That was your concern correct?

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:doh: That was a jab at pointing him out in the first place.

The point is that NO POLLSTER will be part of the committee. According to the director of the new committee they will consist of 1 current AD from the 5 Power Conferences, Retired Coaches, 1 Retired media member, Retired ADs, and Retired Admins from schools. So there will be NO active media Pollster d-bags on the committee. So again how will what you are foreseeing come to pass when NO MEDIA MEMBERS are part of the committee? THat was the point of your OP in the first place that whackos(in your eyes) like this guy could possibly be part of the committee choosing the 4 teams. Without them being a part of it what is the problem again?

1. Each of the 5 major conferences will have a representative on the committee
2. There will be former coaches on it(knowledgeable on the games, matchups, body of work, and so on)
3. Former ADs on the committee who know the game fairly well.
4. Most importantly only 1 RETIRED media person on the committee.
5. They may eventually add an AD from conferences like the WAC, MAC, and so on depending on what happens.

I do not see a problem with the people that they are selecting the committee from since the obvious bias of pollsters will only be relegated to the normal polls. That was your concern correct?

You keep on missing the point.

potzer25

The most eubillicant poster.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,909.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It should be done via a system like the electoral college.