• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

More evidence small committee is bad idea

FSUmanager

FeartheSpear
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
THey haven't released who is going to be part of the committee. So complaining about 1 pollster out there is downright pathetic. Is that because where he ranked Oregon? Yes his top 3 picks are way out of whack, but so what it is week TWO!!!

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
THey haven't released who is going to be part of the committee. So complaining about 1 pollster out there is downright pathetic. Is that because where he ranked Oregon? Yes his top 3 picks are way out of whack, but so what it is week TWO!!!

He's talking about the size of the committee and the lack of other voters to cancel out a single bad voter.

1 vote out of 4 = 25%

1 vote out of 100 = 1%

etc

yeodonie

Small Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The idea is that any person can come up with stupid shit for a poll and it will have large consequences in a small poll rather then get washed out in a large sample. There's a reason why small sample polls and experiments are dismissed

FSUmanager

FeartheSpear
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's talking about the size of the committee and the lack of other voters to cancel out a single bad voter.

1 vote out of 4 = 25%

1 vote out of 100 = 1%

etc

I understand what he is talking about. But he is singling out this one pollster when he has no idea IF this guy will be part of the committee. Until that is announced why be complaining about something that may never happen? That is my point.

MarkOU

License to Thrill
Hoopla Cash
$ 287.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I kinda like his poll. His top four teams have beat teams of substance whereas Alabama Oregon Stanford Ohio State have not.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand what he is talking about. But he is singling out this one pollster when he has no idea IF this guy will be part of the committee. Until that is announced why be complaining about something that may never happen? That is my point.

You are missing the point. It has nothing to do with this 1 particular voter.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What if all voters are whacky and it ends up being random noise? Could happen if you get too many...

Nope.

I seen a thing where people were guessing at a jar of beans and how many were inside it.

Individually the numbers were all over the place. Some people extremely low, some people extremely high and some people close, etc.

But oddly enough, when you took all the guesses made and averaged them out, as would happen with large numbers of poll voters, the average actually ended up being almost right, or really close to being right.

OnlyCrimson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
0 people agree with this idiot's top 5. He should not be allowed to even cast a ballot.

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope.

I seen a thing where people were guessing at a jar of beans and how many were inside it.

Individually the numbers were all over the place. Some people extremely low, some people extremely high and some people close, etc.

But oddly enough, when you took all the guesses made and averaged them out, as would happen with large numbers of poll voters, the average actually ended up being almost right, or really close to being right.

I am well aware it could end up that way but statistically speaking there is that probability it couldn't. The law of large numbers doesn't guarantee valid results.

yeodonie

Small Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope.

This guy gets it:suds:

FSUmanager

FeartheSpear
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are missing the point. It has nothing to do with this 1 particular voter.

No I understand the point completely. The point I am making is that NOBODY knows who will be part of the committee. So until those people are selected what is the point of bitching about it? Once they are chosen you can then look at their polling and see if they are nuts or not. Until then he is beating his head against a brick wall for NOTHING.

yeodonie

Small Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No I understand the point completely. The point I am making is that NOBODY knows who will be part of the committee. So until those people are selected what is the point of bitching about it? Once they are chosen you can then look at their polling and see if they are nuts or not. Until then he is beating his head against a brick wall for NOTHING.

The point is there shouldn't be a small committee at all. Period

FSUmanager

FeartheSpear
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the OP does not like a selection committee did he like it before the BCS? There are always people bitching about whatever system they are using. There is no perfect system when you are dealing with other people's OPINION on who they think is better. There were many years before the BCS that people thought having pollsters was rigged or unfair too. What is his solution?

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the OP does not like a selection committee did he like it before the BCS? There are always people bitching about whatever system they are using. There is no perfect system when you are dealing with other people's OPINION on who they think is better. There were many years before the BCS that people thought having pollsters was rigged or unfair too. What is his solution?

The problem before the BCS was #1 did not always play #2 in the bowl games.