• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

MLBTR: "Hanley Prefers Trade Over Position Change"

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hanley Prefers Trade Over Position Change: MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com

Hanley Prefers Trade Over Position Change
By Nick Collias [December 6, 2011 at 4:26pm CST]

Hanley Ramirez isn't on board with the idea of moving to third base and would rather be traded than switch positions, a "credible source" told Enrique Rojas at ESPNDeportesLosAngeles.com (link in Spanish).

"Hanley doesn't want to play third base, and the Marlins were informed of his thoughts," the source told Rojas. "While he hasn't asked for a trade, he has let it be known that he doesn't want to play another position other than shortstop." Joe Capozzi of the Palm Beach Post has also verified with a Marlins official that Ramirez did not ask to be traded (Twitter link).

Ramirez's agent Andy Mota told Rojas he had no comment about the situation, but the player himself posted a resigned-sounding Tweet this morning, saying, "What I am gonna do is work hard and get ready for next season because that is the only thing I can control I love y'all!!!!" (Although when one of his followers subsequently suggested that he had been disrespected and should "go to the Mets," Ramirez responded, "I like it!!!).

Rojas also spoke with Marlins manager Ozzie Guillen yesterday in Dallas, and the skipper said he had spoken with Ramirez before Reyes was signed and plans to revisit the discussion soon. "He has to understand that it's the best thing for the club, and he'll be a better player with those two guys [Reyes and Emilio Bonifacio] in front of him in the lineup," Guillen said. "The last thing we want to do is smack the kid and tell him, 'You've got to move.' That's not the way... I think [Ramirez] will have the opportunity to be an All-Star third baseman. We have the opportunity to have two all stars in those positions."

Both owner Jeffrey Loria and president of baseball operations Larry Beinfest suggested recently that Ramirez would ultimately defer to Reyes, and that a trade wasn't on the table. A week ago, before Reyes had signed, Ramirez expressed deference toward the possibility in an appearance on Dominican TV, saying "the front office has the last word." Ramirez played just three games worth of third base while in the Red Sox system, most recently in 2005. His -4.8 UZR in 2011 was firmly in the bottom half of NL shortstops, directly behind Reyes and in front of Bonifacio, who took over the six-hole when Ramirez underwent shoulder surgery in August.

sfsportsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
is his reasons for not wanting to move purely because as a SS he'll make more? i cant believe this all star team is being assembled around him and he wont jump over to 3rd to be a part of it.

was about to make a thread on this subject but i'll just piggyback off yours. on intentional talk today Rose said if he was the Marlins he'd offer Hanley and Logan Morrison to the giants for madbum and brandon belt. granted i think he pulled names out of his ass on the spot, but what does everyone think about that?

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
is his reasons for not wanting to move purely because as a SS he'll make more? i cant believe this all star team is being assembled around him and he wont jump over to 3rd to be a part of it.

was about to make a thread on this subject but i'll just piggyback off yours. on intentional talk today Rose said if he was the Marlins he'd offer Hanley and Logan Morrison to the giants for madbum and brandon belt. granted i think he pulled names out of his ass on the spot, but what does everyone think about that?

Argh! That trade is just tempting enough to have to really consider it...but it depends on what else we can get and still keep MadBum.

iHATEdodgers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I made my feelings known in the other thread about this, but... FUCK NO fuck that trade. It's all about great pitching. Hanley is very very good no doubt, but MadBum is excellent and is just starting off what looks to be a hall of fame career, don't fuck with the rotation.

One bat minus 1/5th of our stellar rotation = meh. You can't fuck with Lincecum/Cain/Bumgarner it's untouchable...to paraphrase a man who wore Hammer Pants "You can't fuck this!"

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I brought this up in another thread awhile back. Hanley and LoMo for Wilson, Belt, Brown, ToJo, Surkamp. Granted, this was before they signed Heath Bell.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Hanley (in the Fantasy Baseball world especially) a ton as a player. However, I wouldn't trade MadBum for a guy who won't move positions for an incoming player and has been benched for quitting on the team during a game.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Hanley (in the Fantasy Baseball world especially) a ton as a player. However, I wouldn't trade MadBum for a guy who won't move positions for an incoming player and has been benched for quitting on the team during a game.

This.

Add to it that he is ALREADY making a ton of dough, and it just does not make sense. The Fish would HAVE to throw in a bunch of money, and they would not do that for that package.

I say we stick with Torture. I prefer it to 2011 WS game 6 type games.

mistgl

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Madison is young! And better than any FA available on the market for tens of millions less, and in Wilsons case, hundreds of millions.

Hanley is coming off his worst offensive year, and ranked as the worst defensive SS in the league - not exactly prime rib.... Oh, and he makes 10mil a year. I thought we had a strict budget to stick to?

If you're going to trade Madison, you can get better than that bitchy little fuck - especially given the lack of top tier pitching on the market. He doesn't HAVE TO be dealt for a SS. Deal him for corner outfielders and you can live with a glove first SS.

ColinCoby

"Duff Man…Oh Yeah!"
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,351.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I brought this up in another thread awhile back. Hanley and LoMo for Wilson, Belt, Brown, ToJo, Surkamp. Granted, this was before they signed Heath Bell.

I would consider this one, but I'm with the rest of you. Mad is damn near untouchable in my eyes. Great young pitcher under club control who showed that, even as inexperienced kid, he had the cajones to dominate in the playoffs.

I guess it would be an interesting thread...Who on this team IS essentially untouchable? Timmeh, Posey, Bum, Cain...that would be my answer.

jingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I would consider this one, but I'm with the rest of you. Mad is damn near untouchable in my eyes. Great young pitcher under club control who showed that, even as inexperienced kid, he had the cajones to dominate in the playoffs.

I guess it would be an interesting thread...Who on this team IS essentially untouchable? Timmeh, Posey, Bum, Cain...that would be my answer.

I would add the slimer version of Pablo to the damn near untouchable list unless there is a good glove/good bat 3b in the minor system. I like his energy and enthusiasm for the game.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Having Tim, Cain, and Bum for a big series or a playoff is darn-near irreplaceable.

I would never say never to a trade, but the other team would have to SERIOUSLY overpay.

A trade centered around MadBum for HanRam is out of the question.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I got you covered

jingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I meant "slimmer" version....I am not sure what a "slimer" version would look like.