• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

MLB Dynasty Draft

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly tried to draft my team, to be a team. Situational players, role guys and such. But I don't have a big issue with The Ritz Style of Scoring. (UK's rotation is ridiculous.)

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Team UK

Smitty has a heck of a team. Either team could win, I'm just gonna lay out my team. I believe pitching and defense win out in baseball, that's how I picked my team

Rotation:
Hands down the strength of my team. In a seven game series, my top four starters would go, with 1, 2, and 3 going twice. #5 starter to the pen
Starters:
#1 Walter Johnson- The greatest pitcher ever
#2 Warren Spahn- The greatest LHP ever
#3 Nolan Ryan- The greatest power pitcher ever
#4 Bob Gibson- The most intimidating pitcher of all time
#5 J.R. Richard- Career cut short by a stroke, stuck out over 600 in 2 years beforehand

Bullpen:
Love my bullpen. Richard would be power option in a series, Nasty Boys and Wagner would make a tough L-R-L combo
RP-Steve Howe(L)
RP-Mike Adams(R)
RP-Norm Charlton(L)
RP-Rob Dibble
Closer- Billy Wagner

Lineup: If you build around pitching, you need great D. I have the (2) gratest catchers ever and the greatest left side D in history

1) Robin Yount (R) CF Great Hitter, CF, SS
2) Ryan Sandberg (R) 2B One of the top hitting 2B
3) Larry Walker (L) RF Most underrated hitter ever IMO
4) Josh Gibson (R) DH -Also a great C, 800 HR's
5) Sadaharu Oh (L) 1B -Another 800 bombs
6) Al Simmons (R) LF -Career .334
7) Johnny Bench (R) C -Greatest Catcher ever
8) Brooks Robinson (R) 3B -Best defensive 3B ever
9) Ozzie Smith (R) SS -Greatest defensive SS ever

Bench: Everyone brings something to the table. DH Josh Gibson is right there with Johnny Bench as best ever Catcher

1B Mark McGwire (R) Monster power bat
2B Robinson Cano (L) Great lefty stick
Utility Michael Young (R) Played all 4 spots in IF, .300 stick
LF Billy Williams (L) 426 bombs
CF Bo Jackson (R) HR's, Steals, Highlight catches, bat breaking freak
RF Ichiro Suzuki (L) One of the toughest outs ever

Nosferatu

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Team UK

Smitty has a heck of a team. Either team could win, I'm just gonna lay out my team. I believe pitching and defense win out in baseball, that's how I picked my team

Rotation:
Hands down the strength of my team. In a seven game series, my top four starters would go, with 1, 2, and 3 going twice. #5 starter to the pen
Starters:
#5 J.R. Richard- Career cut short by a stroke, stuck out over 600 in 2 years beforehand

Bullpen:
Love my bullpen. Richard would be power option in a series, Nasty Boys and Wagner would make a tough L-R-L combo
RP-Steve Howe(L)
RP-Mike Adams(R)
RP-Norm Charlton(L)
RP-Rob Dibble
Closer- Billy Wagner

Lineup: If you build around pitching, you need great D. I have the (2) gratest catchers ever and the greatest left side D in history

Bench: Everyone brings something to the table. DH Josh Gibson is right there with Johnny Bench as best ever Catcher

Ummm, no!

I do love your rotation but IMO your team is gonna have a hard time scoring runs at the pace of other teams.

Look at Walker's splits. .381 at Coors

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ummm, no!

I do love your rotation but IMO your team is gonna have a hard time scoring runs at the pace of other teams.

Agree to disagree. I think Spahn is the greatest lefty starter hands down. And arguing Larry Walker as a great hitter? OK....

As to scoring runs at the pace of other teams...I think we'd be fine. With my staff and D, I don't think I'd need a lot of runs, even against those teams. It's like Offense vs Defense in the NFL. Offense is sexy, but everyone knows what wins Championships

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Team UK

Rotation:
Starters:

Bullpen:
RP-Steve Howe(L)
RP-Mike Adams(R)
RP-Norm Charlton(L)
RP-Rob Dibble
Closer- Billy Wagner

Awesome post! Not many guys that obviously outmatch Seaver, Johnson's definitely one of em. But I like my chances is game 2 and 3 with Satchel and Joss. (Greatest WHIP EVER!). I think my guys can create a lot of runs. And I think Nolan Ryan might get hit around a little. If not, Kiner's ready in a pinch for that lefty closer.

Nosferatu

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree to disagree. I think Spahn is the greatest lefty starter hands down. And arguing Larry Walker as a great hitter? OK....

As to scoring runs at the pace of other teams...I think we'd be fine. With my staff and D, I don't think I'd need a lot of runs, even against those teams. It's like Offense vs Defense in the NFL. Offense is sexy, but everyone knows what wins Championships

I respect your opinion on Spahn and I agree he was an amazing pitcher, longevity and numbers don't lie but Koufax, Carlton and Johnson were all better pitchers.

Where did I say he wasn't a great hitter? But it's hard to ignore his splits, he hit like .100 points higher at Coors than on the road.

Baseball and football are not the same, there's a reason there hasn't been many 1-0 pitching battles in All Star Game History.

Nosferatu

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh and I do love how much effort you put into your post, you may get my vote based on that alone...

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I respect your opinion on Spahn and I agree he was an amazing pitcher, longevity and numbers don't lie but Koufax, Carlton and Johnson were all better pitchers.

Where did I say he wasn't a great hitter? But it's hard to ignore his splits, he hit like .100 points higher at Coors than on the road.

Baseball and football are not the same, there's a reason there hasn't been many 1-0 pitching battles in All Star Game History.

gotta disagree on Koufax. Koufax was great, but he was only really great for about 5-6 years. Spahn had a nice long career and he had a few pretty great years himself.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Awesome post! Not many guys that obviously outmatch Seaver, Johnson's definitely one of em. But I like my chances is game 2 and 3 with Satchel and Joss. (Greatest WHIP EVER!). I think my guys can create a lot of runs. And I think Nolan Ryan might get hit around a little. If not, Kiner's ready in a pinch for that lefty closer.

I don't know about Nolan getting hit around...he might not give up a hit at all...just strike out 20, let Ozzie and Brooksie take away a couple of hits, and roll. Just tell Kiner not to guard the plate...if he doe's Nolan is giving him some high cheese, and if he comes out, Kiner gets the Ventura treatment...:laugh3: Would pay to see the pitching matchups between our teams for sure..Big Train against Tom Terrific, Spahn against Satchel, Nolan against Joss. How ya feeling about that game 4 between Bob Gibson and Eddie Plank? I think I take ya 4 games to 3 on a Bo Jackson pinch hit inside the park homer in the 9th

da55bums

Royals -when they do win its a WS RING.
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FYI before Coors there were field advantages, most notably Fenway. Ted Williams splits were .361 home and .328 away, just to verify it was the stadium, other examples, Dom Dimaggio .323 home, .273 away Jim Rice .320 home, .277 away.

so eliminating roids and coors but allowing advantages players had before we all were around is a bit naive. There has always been both in the history of baseball and if your using all the players ever in baseball, tough to pick and choose what is fair and qualifies as advantages...are you going to eliminate players before 1950 because they only played against half of the best players in the world?

The great thing about baseball is you can just use the stats to speak for themselves and eliminate "opinions"

PS...Nolan will walk them around, not get hit around.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ummm, no!

Even if Walker never played at Coors, I still feel like he could have been a HOF-caliber player (he was a very good player with the Expos before he went to Colorado). Injuries probably would have kept him out though.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FYI before Coors there were field advantages, most notably Fenway. Ted Williams splits were .361 home and .328 away, just to verify it was the stadium, other examples, Dom Dimaggio .323 home, .273 away Jim Rice .320 home, .277 away.

so eliminating roids and coors but allowing advantages players had before we all were around is a bit naive. There has always been both in the history of baseball and if your using all the players ever in baseball, tough to pick and choose what is fair and qualifies as advantages...are you going to eliminate players before 1950 because they only played against half of the best players in the world?

The great thing about baseball is you can just use the stats to speak for themselves and eliminate "opinions"

No, no.... No elimination of opinions in favor of just cold, raw, unadulterated stats! Not on my watch.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm more occupied with a bottle of Crown Royal than I am with trying to make a high effort post.

Nosferatu

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
gotta disagree on Koufax. Koufax was great, but he was only really great for about 5-6 years. Spahn had a nice long career and he had a few pretty great years himself.

Koufax retired at 30 years old. I can only go by what he did in those years. He had nearly as many strikeouts as Spahn did in almost 3,000 less innings pitched. If you ask any player in the history of the game who they would rather face Spahn in his prime or Koufax in his prime i'd be surprised if 1 player said Koufax.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh and I do love how much effort you put into your post, you may get my vote based on that alone...

You should be happy about my pitching and defense theme Nos, if I weren't going that route, you wouldn't have gotten Ernie Banks :suds: (who is the best all around SS ever)

Nosferatu

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

FYI, Walkers split is like .381 at Coors and .278 on the road. Just a little more noticeable...