• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

MLB.com 100 Prospects

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Odd listing, from a Giant perspective. My opinion as to the top ten in the org:

1. Brown
2. Panik
3. Hembree
4. ToJo
5. Susac
6. Peggs
7. Crick
8. Kickham
9. AnVil
10. Jones

mistgl

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The player from the Carbel trade is #28.

Yep :wacko:

The Mets pretty much told him to screw the mechanics we forced on him, and his control suddenly improved 10 fold. Dude went from a walk machine to incredibly efficient almost over night.

I get the feeling that trade is going to hurt come 2013.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep :wacko:

The Mets pretty much told him to screw the mechanics we forced on him, and his control suddenly improved 10 fold. Dude went from a walk machine to incredibly efficient almost over night.

I get the feeling that trade is going to hurt come 2013.

I want to rep since I agree, but I just can't rep the idea the post portrays.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really? I don't recall him saying anything like that...

Agreed. I could be wrong mistql, but I believe Sabean said that that while Wheeler was a great prospect, they could afford to make the trade due to their pitching depth.

I do agree that the trade may come back to haunt sooner rather than later though.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. I could be wrong mistql, but I believe Sabean said that that while Wheeler was a great prospect, they could afford to make the trade due to their pitching depth.

I do agree that the trade may come back to haunt sooner rather than later though.

This comment by Sabes was what caused most prospect nerds to start scouring the system for the unknown gem that had been missed by everyone. Most decided that Sabes must have a stiffy for Crick...

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This comment by Sabes was what caused most prospect nerds to start scouring the system for the unknown gem that had been missed by everyone. Most decided that Sabes must have a stiffy for Crick...

As well he should...Crick is the real deal. Barring injury, he'll be in the rotation in 2014.

mistgl

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Really? I don't recall him saying anything like that...

He never said washed up, but he made a tongue and cheek comment about his control and that we were leaning towards converting him to a reliever. It was after the initial comment he made about having enough pitching depth to make the trade.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He never said washed up, but he made a tongue and cheek comment about his control and that we were leaning towards converting him to a reliever. It was after the initial comment he made about having enough pitching depth to make the trade.

Thanks Mist, that one got by me. If you have a link, I'd like to read the whole quote.

mistgl

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Thanks Mist, that one got by me. If you have a link, I'd like to read the whole quote.

I can't find the sound clip, but this guy paraphrases what Sabean essentially said in the interview - it was with a Mets station btw.

So Zack Wheeler Wasn't Brian Sabean's Favorite - Around the Foghorn - A San Francisco Giants Fan Site - News, Blogs, Opinion and More

However Giants general manager Brian Sabean said on Mad Dog Radio after the deal that Wheeler’s future might be as a reliever.

Wow! That’s quite a comedown. Sabean might be blowing smoke but he does know something about developing pitchers. Sabean also said that the organization views Class AA lefthander Eric Surkamp (8-3, 2.05 ERA) at Richmond more highly than Wheeler.

No doubt he was trying to verbally mitigate the loss, but I just found it funny how leading up to, and even immediately post trade, he could do nothing but sing Wheelers praises and re-affirm him as "untouchable". A week or two later, and all of a sudden he always liked Surkamp better and Wheeler was BP bound.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't find the sound clip, but this guy paraphrases what Sabean essentially said in the interview - it was with a Mets station btw.

So Zack Wheeler Wasn't Brian Sabean's Favorite - Around the Foghorn - A San Francisco Giants Fan Site - News, Blogs, Opinion and More

However Giants general manager Brian Sabean said on Mad Dog Radio after the deal that Wheeler’s future might be as a reliever.

Wow! That’s quite a comedown. Sabean might be blowing smoke but he does know something about developing pitchers. Sabean also said that the organization views Class AA lefthander Eric Surkamp (8-3, 2.05 ERA) at Richmond more highly than Wheeler.

No doubt he was trying to verbally mitigate the loss, but I just found it funny how leading up to, and even immediately post trade, he could do nothing but sing Wheelers praises and re-affirm him as "untouchable". A week or two later, and all of a sudden he always liked Surkamp better and Wheeler was BP bound.

Meh...tempest in a teapot. We'll never really know if SabeySabes views Wheeler more as a reliever than as a starter. In any event, it was the right trade at the right time. That it didn't work out doesn't reflect poorly on SabeySabes.

Thanks for the link, though.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh...tempest in a teapot. We'll never really know if SabeySabes views Wheeler more as a reliever than as a starter. In any event, it was the right trade at the right time. That it didn't work out doesn't reflect poorly on SabeySabes.

Thanks for the link, though.

I think I can guess...when he was with us Sabean thought he was a future starter. Now that he's a Met? BP scrub.

:noidea:

:D