• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2021 Giants Top Prospects

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2020 Giants Top Prospects

I saw MLB post their Top 100 Prospects List by team and remembered that we have not started the annual prospect thread this year. Maybe that is because we don't have a good feel for the rankings due to no minor league season. But I thought we could at least kick off talks with a look at who made the list on the MLB website.
1611939839714.png

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fangraphs also posted their top 100 (plus 33). 2021 Top 100 Prospects

5 in the top 100, leading off with Marcus Luciano at 11, followed by Joey Bart (55), Heliot Ramos (61), Luis Matos (87) and Gregory Santos (98).

I think you're seeing Joey Bart fall because he's one of the few prospects that scouts have data on from last year (and didn't graduate). Matos and Santos shoot up because they played in instructional leagues and looked awesome.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fangraphs also posted their top 100 (plus 33). 2021 Top 100 Prospects

5 in the top 100, leading off with Marcus Luciano at 11, followed by Joey Bart (55), Heliot Ramos (61), Luis Matos (87) and Gregory Santos (98).

I think you're seeing Joey Bart fall because he's one of the few prospects that scouts have data on from last year (and didn't graduate). Matos and Santos shoot up because they played in instructional leagues and looked awesome.
I feel that Luis Matos is an under the radar top prospect for the Giants. At least from what I've seen, there hasn't been a whole lot of talk about him. I wonder where Canario would be, if Fangraphs expanded the list to Top 150. Does his injury hurt his current prospect status?

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel that Luis Matos is an under the radar top prospect for the Giants. At least from what I've seen, there hasn't been a whole lot of talk about him. I wonder where Canario would be, if Fangraphs expanded the list to Top 150. Does his injury hurt his current prospect status?

Matos has been overshadowed by Luciano to this point (both were in the same signing class), but I don't think it will be long before the industry catches on. He's a stud. Here's a clip with the fangraph's scouts talking about him:

And here's the same swing, from the CF camera:

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm bored at work, so I'm going to go through each position on the Giants minor league systems and offer some thoughts on guys to keep an eye on, and reading material since I'm no professional. These are all opinions gathered from people who are generally considered industry pros, I haven't seen virtually any of these prospects.

First off, catcher. Definitely an organizational strength compared to the other 29 teams. The team has arguably two of the top 20, perhaps 15 depending who you ask, catching prospects in the game with Joey Bart and Patrick Bailey.

Bart and Bailey are familiar names at this point to most Giants fans as former 1st round picks. Bart started as a plus bat, questionable defense guy, but the script has flipped on him. Most in the industry believe in his defense, but there are concerns about his swing, namely if he's able to make enough contact. The good news is that as a catcher, it's not as big of a deal. If he's able to pop 25 homers, take some walks and play good defense, you can live with .230 average/30% K rate. The issue with Bart is that at any other position (1st or DH) that won't cut it.

Bailey is considered a bit more well-rounded (switch hitter, decent bat, decent power). Bart has the more extreme outcomes (potential top-5 catcher if he fixes his swing), Bailey is probably the safer option. It would not be a bad thing if both pan out, it's easy to find PT for two catchers and it would help elongate both of their careers. Plus with the DH inevitably happening at some point soon, the Giants won't have any problems finding ways to keep both bats in the lineup.

Who are some of the deeper guys, you ask? Well Ricardo Genovés has been around for quite awhile. Signed in the July 2015 INTL period (same as Lucious Fox). he actually received the 2nd highest bonus from that period, so he's no random guy. It's just been a slowwww climb for him. He's never made it past low-A ball (Augusta, and it was only 19 games there) but he's always received high marks for his defense. He had a big power spike in 2019, which probably wasn't legit, but still he doesn't strikeout a ton and walks a fair amount. Doesn't seems like a complete waste with the bat. He's rule 5 eligible, so it's make or break time for the kid.

Another one to keep an eye on is Adrian Sugastey. He's yet to debut, but that's because he was part of the 2019 INTL signing period, and those players didn't have a 2020 season to play in. He received the highest bonus the Giants gave out that year, so that's something at least. Don't know much about him otherwise. He's a guy that we might talk about in 2026 LOL.

Still, overall you're looking at one potential star, another potential starter, a potential backup, and a lottery ticket. Not bad at all.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm bored at work, so I'm going to go through each position on the Giants minor league systems and offer some thoughts on guys to keep an eye on, and reading material since I'm no professional. These are all opinions gathered from people who are generally considered industry pros, I haven't seen virtually any of these prospects.

First off, catcher. Definitely an organizational strength compared to the other 29 teams. The team has arguably two of the top 20, perhaps 15 depending who you ask, catching prospects in the game with Joey Bart and Patrick Bailey.

Bart and Bailey are familiar names at this point to most Giants fans as former 1st round picks. Bart started as a plus bat, questionable defense guy, but the script has flipped on him. Most in the industry believe in his defense, but there are concerns about his swing, namely if he's able to make enough contact. The good news is that as a catcher, it's not as big of a deal. If he's able to pop 25 homers, take some walks and play good defense, you can live with .230 average/30% K rate. The issue with Bart is that at any other position (1st or DH) that won't cut it.

Bailey is considered a bit more well-rounded (switch hitter, decent bat, decent power). Bart has the more extreme outcomes (potential top-5 catcher if he fixes his swing), Bailey is probably the safer option. It would not be a bad thing if both pan out, it's easy to find PT for two catchers and it would help elongate both of their careers. Plus with the DH inevitably happening at some point soon, the Giants won't have any problems finding ways to keep both bats in the lineup.

Who are some of the deeper guys, you ask? Well Ricardo Genovés has been around for quite awhile. Signed in the July 2015 INTL period (same as Lucious Fox). he actually received the 2nd highest bonus from that period, so he's no random guy. It's just been a slowwww climb for him. He's never made it past low-A ball (Augusta, and it was only 19 games there) but he's always received high marks for his defense. He had a big power spike in 2019, which probably wasn't legit, but still he doesn't strikeout a ton and walks a fair amount. Doesn't seems like a complete waste with the bat. He's rule 5 eligible, so it's make or break time for the kid.

Another one to keep an eye on is Adrian Sugastey. He's yet to debut, but that's because he was part of the 2019 INTL signing period, and those players didn't have a 2020 season to play in. He received the highest bonus the Giants gave out that year, so that's something at least. Don't know much about him otherwise. He's a guy that we might talk about in 2026 LOL.

Still, overall you're looking at one potential star, another potential starter, a potential backup, and a lottery ticket. Not bad at all.
The other catcher I'm mildly interested in is Rayner Santana. His one season of professional ball (2019 in the DSL) had some nice offensive numbers but it was the DSL so that may not mean much. He threw out 30% of would be base stealers but also allowed 18 passed balls. He is only 18 years old but I don't know where these guys will play in 2021. I've picked up vague messages that the AZL will have a season but cannot confirm that on the minor league website.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The other catcher I'm mildly interested in is Rayner Santana. His one season of professional ball (2019 in the DSL) had some nice offensive numbers but it was the DSL so that may not mean much. He threw out 30% of would be base stealers but also allowed 18 passed balls. He is only 18 years old but I don't know where these guys will play in 2021. I've picked up vague messages that the AZL will have a season but cannot confirm that on the minor league website.

Good call. Santana had a very nice year in 2019 as a 16 year old. Signed in the 2018-19 period, same group as the Luciano/Matos/Pomares group.

I do think it's been announced that there will be rookie level leagues this year. I will need to look up to confirm, though.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good call. Santana had a very nice year in 2019 as a 16 year old. Signed in the 2018-19 period, same group as the Luciano/Matos/Pomares group.

I do think it's been announced that there will be rookie level leagues this year. I will need to look up to confirm, though.
If you go to milb.com, they only list AAA, AA, high A and low A schedules and leagues. However, I did find an article from a Tigers' affiliated website that states facilities based leagues (AZL and GCL) will still operate.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you go to milb.com, they only list AAA, AA, high A and low A schedules and leagues. However, I did find an article from a Tigers' affiliated website that states facilities based leagues (AZL and GCL) will still operate.

MLB.com has always been tough to navigate on the rookie level side.

I found two pieces of evidence indicating there will be DSL and AZL leagues this year.

This athletic article indicates "the Arizona Rookie League, Gulf Coast Rookie League and Dominican Summer League will continue as half-season leagues run out of teams’ minor-league complexes, but there will no longer be Short-season or Rookie-level affiliates outside of the complex leagues." Confused by minor-league re-alignment? Here's what you need to know

Then there's this tweet:

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MLB.com has always been tough to navigate on the rookie level side.

I found two pieces of evidence indicating there will be DSL and AZL leagues this year.

This athletic article indicates "the Arizona Rookie League, Gulf Coast Rookie League and Dominican Summer League will continue as half-season leagues run out of teams’ minor-league complexes, but there will no longer be Short-season or Rookie-level affiliates outside of the complex leagues." Confused by minor-league re-alignment? Here's what you need to know

Then there's this tweet:

Yeah, that website isn't the most user friendly. I was on there a month ago, trying to figure out if some of the Giant minor leaguers are still active (their player "cards" are good about reporting when a player retires) and noticed that some players were showing as assigned to either a AZL team or a DSL team (both have two listings). That made me think that they would play at some point but wasn't sure if that was just a remnant of the old system that they hadn't wiped yet.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So where does Plassmeyer rank among our SP prospects?

1) Corry
2) Harrison
3) Hjelli
4) Long
5) Plassmeyer (??)

Thats a pretty sorry group of “top” prospects...