• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Minnesota #1? Why not?!

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michigan St just got obliterated by Washington. That isn't a quality opponent.
Michigan St is still ranked #21 in the Coaches Poll and #26 in the AP Poll, so they may not be a quality opponent, but it's about perception, that is all the polls are, and right now MSU is still perceived as a quality opponent, whether you agree or not.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, so a team getting obliterated by someone means they aren't a quality opponent?

49-3 doesn't count as being obliterated?

Amusing that you feel compelled to bring up Oregon in a thread you created about Minnesota.

I'm fine with Oregon not being ranked. The pollsters disagree, which is their prerogative.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ask a casual fan about which team has been more relevant. UConn going from a good team to FCS or the less educated Vanderbilt of the B1G. I am serious, before you decided to troll the football forum myself, nor anyone I knew thought Minnesota had a real football team. We just thought Coach was fictional
You must be the dumbest person I have ever run across in my entire time on the internet. I am serious. Either that or you are just trying to pull my leg or something, because this is a bizarre line of reasoning you are trying to convince me of. Only a truly dumb person goes online and admits that they were never aware of the existence of any of the B1G conference football teams.

And how do you figure Minnesota is less educated than Vanderbilt? The 4 Global rankings I checked shows Minnesota to be superior to Vanderbilt.

Seems like you are not very educated.

Oh, and the show Coach WAS fictional you moron. You must know a lot of dumb people. How old are you? Six? Too young to remember 2019 and UMn's finishing 11-2 and ranked Top Ten? Too young to remember The Gophers beating Wash St in 2016?

You honestly think the average casual fan would think UConn fb was more relevant than Minnesota?! LOL

Was it UConn's going 4-32 since 2019 that impresses you?

Maybe it was their going 10-50 since 2016 that does?

Or their going 31-90 since 2011 that impresses you? You have to just be pulling my leg, right?

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Amusing that you feel compelled to bring up Oregon in a thread you created about Minnesota.

I'm fine with Oregon not being ranked. The pollsters disagree, which is their prerogative.
You, an Oregon fan, were the one who labeled a 21st ranked opponent as a non-quality opponent, because of how badly it got beat by a now ranked team, all the while your own team still was ranked or a week later was ranked again after getting badly beat by a ranked team. So like I said, the pollsters disagree with you about MSU.

VikingFan2k2

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@fredsdeadfriend Why are you arguing with fans of teams that are probably behind the scenes begging to be in our conference? (Their conference is dying)

You are abrasive and not very representative of how many times we have been humbled over the years. I appreciate the passion, but it isn't necessary to fight with Pac 8 fans.

Let's not overstate things though, the Gophers have a lot of work to do. Clobbering 3 cupcakes means as much now as it did with Glen Mason.

The test comes in the actual Big Ten and I think the West is there for the taking, but the first task is in East Lansing. The Gophers don't have a great history against Sparty as I think Kirk Cousins was the QB The last time we beat them (I was at that game).

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's not overstate things though, the Gophers have a lot of work to do. Clobbering 3 cupcakes means as much now as it did with Glen Mason.
Looking over Glen Mason's history at UMn, there were only 2 seasons that even come close to what Fleck has done so far this this season, 1999 & 2003. While both seasons saw Glen Mason lose several close conf games by less than a td, including both seasons seeing him lose by a fg in the game that would have won him a Conf Title and gotten him to a Rose Bowl, unless they changed that rule by 2003, I know that was the rule in 1999, but only 1999's ooc comes close to matching 2022's. In 2003 Mason's teams allowed 20, 14, 10 & 7 pts to be scored in the ooc games. So the one and only season that comes close to matching 2022's ooc is 1999, with a 123-14 point margin compared to this season's 149-17 point margin.

So... with only 1 season in Mason's entire career at Minnesota coming close to matching 2022's ooc, your reference doesn't seem very relevant. And differences between the two seasons are plentiful, first of all, Mason didn't know how to keep a lead. Second, 1999 Mason wasn't near as good of a recruiter, evidence of this is the lack of depth on his teams, we as fans were terrified anytime a player got injured, because like in 2000, when Willie Middlebrooks went down, the season collapsed, but what we saw in 2021 was far different, we got down to our 5th and 6th string RBs and still won 9 games. Fans are stressing a lot less now if a player gets injured as it seems Fleck has a next player in line steps up attitude, something that wasn't there back with Mason, probably because Fleck is a much better recruiter and developer of talent than Mason was.

VikingFan2k2

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking over Glen Mason's history at UMn, there were only 2 seasons that even come close to what Fleck has done so far this this season, 1999 & 2003. While both seasons saw Glen Mason lose several close conf games by less than a td, including both seasons seeing him lose by a fg in the game that would have won him a Conf Title and gotten him to a Rose Bowl, unless they changed that rule by 2003, I know that was the rule in 1999, but only 1999's ooc comes close to matching 2022's. In 2003 Mason's teams allowed 20, 14, 10 & 7 pts to be scored in the ooc games. So the one and only season that comes close to matching 2022's ooc is 1999, with a 123-14 point margin compared to this season's 149-17 point margin.

So... with only 1 season in Mason's entire career at Minnesota coming close to matching 2022's ooc, your reference doesn't seem very relevant. And differences between the two seasons are plentiful, first of all, Mason didn't know how to keep a lead. Second, 1999 Mason wasn't near as good of a recruiter, evidence of this is the lack of depth on his teams, we as fans were terrified anytime a player got injured, because like in 2000, when Willie Middlebrooks went down, the season collapsed, but what we saw in 2021 was far different, we got down to our 5th and 6th string RBs and still won 9 games. Fans are stressing a lot less now if a player gets injured as it seems Fleck has a next player in line steps up attitude, something that wasn't there back with Mason, probably because Fleck is a much better recruiter and developer of talent than Mason was.

My point wasn't to compare Mason to Fleck. Fleck is already way better. Although I think Mase did a respectable job given he had to convince kids to play in that dump of a Dome.

My point was, non-conference is all but meaningless when you play nobody of consequence.

Autman-Bell is also now out for the season. That is a big loss.

PnkPanther

Hoopla Cash
$ 253.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like what? I live in the Cities. The fact that it took 10 years or whatever to finally break 54k is fucking sad, like Rutgers sad
I'm not going to jump in too much, as fred is an idiot and deserves beating he's getting, but if you lives in Cities you know that Minneapolis is a Vikings town and gophers are an after thought

There are very few College teams that have an NFL team/Stadium just few minutes away

I think being in a Urban enviornment and lacking college town feel can be bit of detriment to the Gophers. It was FAR worse when we played in the dome and at one point had arguably worst facilities in P5

There is also, wolves, twins, wild, loons, all nearby. Tough competition for a college program to be in market with every pro team.

And I fully believe we'll end god forsake streak vs Iowa this year, we should've last year IMO, but the old woulda/coulda/shoulda I know doesn't stand up

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My point was, non-conference is all but meaningless when you play nobody of consequence.

It's not meaningless and never has been meaningless. Several teams every year get ranked solely on their beating nobody of consequence in a similar way as the Gophers beat their 3 opponents so far this year. And the difference in how the Gophers looked in 1999 and 2003 in the preseason compared to other seasons under Mason show further proof that beating teams of no consequence by pummeling all of them, can be a sign of good things to come.

97 Mason lost TWO ooc games and didn't get to a bowl game.
98 Mason barely beat 2 of it's ooc opponents and followed that up by going 2-6 in conf play.

99 Mason pummeled all 3 of his ooc opponents and followed that up by going 5-3 in conf with it's 4 losses being 3, 3, 4 & 5 pt losses. He finished one OT loss vs Wisc away from going to the Rose Bowl.

00 Mason lost to Ohio and finished with an uninspiring 6-5 regular season record.
01 Mason allowed La-Lafeyette to score 14 on him and his Gophers & also got pummeled by Toledo & followed that by going 2-6 in conf.
02 Mason allowed 3 ooc opponents to score 49 points on his Gophers and followed that by going 3-5 in conf.

03 Mason allowed 4 ooc opponents to score 51 points on his Gophers, BUT outscored them 187 pts, and followed that up by going 5-3 in conf.

04 Mason allowed 3 ooc opponents to score 58 points on his Gophers and followed that by going 3-5 in conf.

A pattern can be seen, the better Mason's Gophers did in the ooc, the better they did in conf play. I'm sure research would show this is a general pattern among all cfb teams.
Autman-Bell is also now out for the season. That is a big loss.

Lots of teams suffer injuries, Most hard core UMn fans are saying, next man up and I've heard MSU has multiple players injured. It happens.

Not having Autman-Bell could hurt the passing game, sure, but MSU isn't exactly the best team to make UMn pay for the loss. and it's arguable that Morgan was relying too much on him and Autman-Bell's becoming injured may help him, by forcing him to spread the ball around more, which could be harder for defenses to defend, at least early on. And losing to MSU won't cost UMn other than in the rankings, so if losing Autman-Bell hurts in the short term but helps in the long term, UMn can recover from losing to MSU far easier than it could losing to Iowa or Wisconsin late in the season.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not going to jump in too much, as fred is an idiot and deserves beating he's getting

I'm not an idiot, I'm almost always right about everything and always back up everything I post with factual evidence, your inability to recognize this makes you the idiot.

And who is it that is beating me? lol That idiot wazzu fan who thinks UConn fb is more respected than UMn football and who didn't even know Minnesota had a real cfb team until he ran across me? Or the OSU fan that has to make sh1t up to diss me? Or the Iowa fan who can't remember how bad their coach was for 75% of his first 12 coaching seasons or how truly weak his team's schedules have been? The Gator fan whose only metric he thinks is important is head to head until I turn that table on him? The Pac fans who constantly ignore how the B1G West has been far superior to that whole conference since the B1G went to divisions? The idiots who think UMn is a lowly academic school? lol

Gator

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not an idiot, I'm almost always right about everything and always back up everything I post with factual evidence, your inability to recognize this makes you the idiot.

And who is it that is beating me? lol That idiot wazzu fan who thinks UConn fb is more respected than UMn football and who didn't even know Minnesota had a real cfb team until he ran across me? Or the OSU fan that has to make sh1t up to diss me? Or the Iowa fan who can't remember how bad their coach was for 75% of his first 12 coaching seasons or how truly weak his team's schedules have been? The Gator fan whose only metric he thinks is important is head to head until I turn that table on him? The Pac fans who constantly ignore how the B1G West has been far superior to that whole conference since the B1G went to divisions? The idiots who think UMn is a lowly academic school? lol
You are an idiot. Virtually every poster has stated that at some point in their conversations with you. Again, the CONSENSUS on this board is that you are an idiot. I know in your mind you are a genius and a legend in your own time but to the rest of us you are simply a legend in your own mind. I doubt that you have out-debated anyone on this board.

"The Gator fan whose only metric he thinks is important is head to head until I turn that table on him?" Where did you ever "turn the table" on me? This is the non-sense BS that you are famous for on this board.

Angry red

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Minnesota was ranked as the #1 defense after last weekends games.

they were ranked #1 in these categories

Red Zone Defense, Scoring Defense, Total Defense, Time of Possession & Red Zone Offense.

they were also ranked #2 in First Downs Defense, #4 in Team Passing Efficiency Defense & #10 in Rushing Defense.

That's all pretty impressive and this weekend's game may have them still in 1st in Total Defense, TOP, close to 1st in First Downs Defense and much better than 10th in Rushing Defense, all while improving drastically on the offensive side of the ball, as it seems they have moved into FIRST in Total Offense!!! And only one team has a larger average winning margin than Minnesota by just 3 points.

How can a team be #1 in total offense and #1 in total defense and not even be ranked in the Top 25?

They rank #2 in running the ball, #2 in stopping the run & #2 in stopping the pass!!! And they might rank Top Ten in avg yards per completion & Top 50 in total yards passing.

And our kicker is 3 for 3 on fgs and 13 for 13 on extra points.

Minnesota could be the most balanced team in the nation? lol
Yes. They are the best.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are an idiot. Virtually every poster has stated that at some point in their conversations with you. Again, the CONSENSUS on this board is that you are an idiot. I know in your mind you are a genius and a legend in your own time but to the rest of us you are simply a legend in your own mind. I doubt that you have out-debated anyone on this board.

"The Gator fan whose only metric he thinks is important is head to head until I turn that table on him?" Where did you ever "turn the table" on me? This is the non-sense BS that you are famous for on this board.
The "CONSENSUS" on this board??? lol You crack me up.

I remember what the consensus among the poker players I played with was. I remember what the guy who ran that poker league thought of me as well, and actually said out loud to everyone at the final table when he started dealing, it was not nice or positive, something about how I never win tournaments, but always finish 2nd, 3rd or 4th. I won that tournament that night. Same thing was said about me the night the group of players who usually paid out 3-4 spots wanted to play winner take all, they all figured I wouldn't play, I did and again, I won. I turned that 160 bucks into 16,000. Then that poker league operator was shocked when I won his poker league, so much so that he changed the point structure in an effort to prevent me from winning it the next time around. Didn't work, I won the next time around. The tourney where I won that cash game at was a totally different crowd, and none of them thought I was any good either, but I won that poker league, too. Everywhere I went no one seemed to think I could play and everywhere I went I seemed to win.

Funniest part was that after winning those tournaments, it didn't change the people's opinion of me. After winning those poker leagues, it didn't change the people's opinion of me. After taking all of their money at the cash games we played, it didn't change their opinion of me. Many of them grew to hate me and their opinions of me got worse over time, to the point one guy chose to beat me up. The fucking loser couldn't do it alone though, his best friend and ugly ass girlfriend had to help him. All because I was out playing their dumb asses. Why do you think that is? The only poker players that came to acknowledge that I was a good poker player were my friends. Why is that? Why does someone have to like you to acknowledge the truth? It's the same with politics, it's the same with sports. If fans hate a certain coach or a certain team or school, they can't stand the idea of acknowledging when that coach or team or school is good.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTN guys all seem to agree Minnesota is the team to beat in the West.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The "CONSENSUS" on this board??? lol You crack me up.

I remember what the consensus among the poker players I played with was. I remember what the guy who ran that poker league thought of me as well, and actually said out loud to everyone at the final table when he started dealing, it was not nice or positive, something about how I never win tournaments, but always finish 2nd, 3rd or 4th. I won that tournament that night. Same thing was said about me the night the group of players who usually paid out 3-4 spots wanted to play winner take all, they all figured I wouldn't play, I did and again, I won. I turned that 160 bucks into 16,000. Then that poker league operator was shocked when I won his poker league, so much so that he changed the point structure in an effort to prevent me from winning it the next time around. Didn't work, I won the next time around. The tourney where I won that cash game at was a totally different crowd, and none of them thought I was any good either, but I won that poker league, too. Everywhere I went no one seemed to think I could play and everywhere I went I seemed to win.

Funniest part was that after winning those tournaments, it didn't change the people's opinion of me. After winning those poker leagues, it didn't change the people's opinion of me. After taking all of their money at the cash games we played, it didn't change their opinion of me. Many of them grew to hate me and their opinions of me got worse over time, to the point one guy chose to beat me up. The fucking loser couldn't do it alone though, his best friend and ugly ass girlfriend had to help him. All because I was out playing their dumb asses. Why do you think that is? The only poker players that came to acknowledge that I was a good poker player were my friends. Why is that? Why does someone have to like you to acknowledge the truth? It's the same with politics, it's the same with sports. If fans hate a certain coach or a certain team or school, they can't stand the idea of acknowledging when that coach or team or school is good.

Cool