• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mike McCarthy planning comeback

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually when you look at that list of college coaches and put aside NFL HC experience even, you really have to take Switzer off the list. He inherited what J.J. built. Marriucci walked into a loaded team too. Harbaugh went to a team that already had a championship caliber defense, a loaded Oline and a top RB and by the time he left, it was a dumpster fire. It took Coughlin a little while. And Johnson struggled at first until he got that roster built. The key is Jones let him build it. I really don't think most of those situations are all that similar to the Browns current one. Not saying a young college guy would definitely fail but you can't just throw out names either. It's apples and oranges, imo.
I think most coaches now would consider the Browns a "loaded situation". would say your theory is true for any type of coach. He has a better chance to succeed if he takes over a team that is more talented than not.

I'm also not saying a college guy would succeed. I threw out names because he asked for names. as mentioned, you can find success and failures in NFL retreads, college coaches, OCs and DC, guys who had never been OC or DC.

There is really no "type" to know who will succeed or fail.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was never impressed with McCarthy, but the last few years he really became stale. Just an unimaginative offense left for Rodgers to basically carry. It wasn't all his fault, as I thought Ted Thompson was just as inspiring as GM or whatever title he held there.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was never impressed with McCarthy, but the last few years he really became stale. Just an unimaginative offense left for Rodgers to basically carry. It wasn't all his fault, as I thought Ted Thompson was just as inspiring as GM or whatever title he held there.
Excellent post, yes McCarthy got stale and relied on Rodgers to carry the offense. Ted Thompson was not an effective GM his last two seasons in Green Bay. It was time for a change.

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 260.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They built something good early and then just rode that out until they couldn't. I'm of the opinion that if a coach wins a Superbowl, they get 5 years to get back there and if they can't or aren't showing they're close, they need to be gone.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think most coaches now would consider the Browns a "loaded situation". would say your theory is true for any type of coach. He has a better chance to succeed if he takes over a team that is more talented than not.

I'm also not saying a college guy would succeed. I threw out names because he asked for names. as mentioned, you can find success and failures in NFL retreads, college coaches, OCs and DC, guys who had never been OC or DC.

There is really no "type" to know who will succeed or fail.
I'm not really sure they are "loaded" where it matters though. Have some definite talent at the skill positions but weak in the trenches. Like I say, can't predict failure or success but those other guys had some pretty strong foundations to build on. I just firmly believe champions are built with those big dudes that don't get the glamour and strong defense. Especially young teams.

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
tenor.gif

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They built something good early and then just rode that out until they couldn't. I'm of the opinion that if a coach wins a Superbowl, they get 5 years to get back there and if they can't or aren't showing they're close, they need to be gone.
mike-tomlin-headset.jpg

*GULP*

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not really sure they are "loaded" where it matters though. Have some definite talent at the skill positions but weak in the trenches. Like I say, can't predict failure or success but those other guys had some pretty strong foundations to build on. I just firmly believe champions are built with those big dudes that don't get the glamour and strong defense. Especially young teams.
But QBs who make quick decisions make the O-line look better. Brady and Rodgers have both excelled with mediocre at best lines.

Browns were awful with Thomas, Schwartz, Mack and Bitonio.

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
agreed. Many thought seattle was making a big mistake at the time

I remember him asking me for directions, was lost true story. Started out like 6-0 and team turned on him

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It'd be hard for him to do a worse job than Kitchens. Browns need to make this move ASAP.
Might be true, but also might be true there are better options out there than McCarthy.

whoever it is (if Freddie goes) I just hope they have an extensive search and not the sham the last one was to hire a guy Dorsey can control.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I think Mccarthy will be a coach again someday. Washington seems to be a good bet.