• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mike Holmgren to San Francisco

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those saying Kaep and the WCO won't mix need to remember Vick in PHI...before the injuries and picks started piling up. His most accurate season in ATL...56.4% comp rate to a peak of 62.6% comp rate under Morningweg and Reid in PHI. On some level, Vick became a more accurate passer.

Even with his uniquely structured deal, SF can't afford to cut Kaep right now. There obviously would not be a huge trade market for him so whomever the new HC in SF is...Kaep is going to be the trigger man for at least the short term future.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would be a good hire for them and yes there'll be a new starting QB with the 49ers regardless of who the coach is.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Russell Wilson reminds me of Fran Tarkenton. They both were short with decent throwing arms and quick feet. Wilson lacks Rodgers experience and vision over the line.

FIFY

Wilson will never be what a 6'5" QB is in terms of seeing the field and finding all open receivers. He doesn't have the experience that Rodgers does in dealing with blown plays, but he sure is learning quickly and catching up.

This is about Kaep and what a Holmgren would do however. Kaep is no Wilson and I'm not sure what Mike would even do if he had Wilson. Would he adapt his schemes to him? Try to make Wilson more of a west coast style QB? Trade him despite all of the intangible upsides to his abilities? Room for debate on all of that.

There is no room for debate that if Mike took over the 9'ers there is no chance Kaep is there longer than it takes for him to find one of his guys. We know this because Holmgren is a member of KJR sports radio up here (He and his wife still call Seattle home) and has several weekly segments/shows. He is asked about Kaep all the time. His responses make it clear he'd be out ASAP.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If any coach can make a qb better it's Holmgren.... And never say never , People that say Kaep could never run the west coast style offense of Holmgren can't truly back that up... IF and that's a big IF SF targeted Holmgren he would work with Kaep and he would get a shot at it... It wouldn't shock me if he improved under Mike .... Wouldn't shock me one bit.. Again, Hasselbeck certainly wasn't mr accurate or mr great arm when Mike was working with him... He accepted the system and blossomed to be all he could be ...

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FIFY

Wilson will never be what a 6'5" QB is in terms of seeing the field and finding all open receivers. He doesn't have the experience that Rodgers does in dealing with blown plays, but he sure is learning quickly and catching up.

This is about Kaep and what a Holmgren would do however. Kaep is no Wilson and I'm not sure what Mike would even do if he had Wilson. Would he adapt his schemes to him? Try to make Wilson more of a west coast style QB? Trade him despite all of the intangible upsides to his abilities? Room for debate on all of that.

There is no room for debate that if Mike took over the 9'ers there is no chance Kaep is there longer than it takes for him to find one of his guys. We know this because Holmgren is a member of KJR sports radio up here (He and his wife still call Seattle home) and has several weekly segments/shows. He is asked about Kaep all the time. His responses make it clear he'd be out ASAP.

Then it's not likely he will be in SF...the $12 mil in roster bonuses could be squashed if he's not on the roster, but the $9.8 mil in signing bonuses cannot...at least for the next year or 2...Kaep is going to be the QB in SF.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said in an earlier post that he would be there only as long as it took to get his guy in. If that's 2 years then it's two years. He wouldn't be something Holmgren would build an offense around. He'd be just a guy until he found someone he could.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said in an earlier post that he would be there only as long as it took to get his guy in. If that's 2 years then it's two years. He wouldn't be something Holmgren would build an offense around. He'd be just a guy until he found someone he could.

Yeah, I saw where you said that, but who takes a job under that circumstance?

Either he thinks Kaep is salvageable and he gives it a try, or he finds another job with a QB in place more to his liking...I think ATL is a good spot for him if he really wants to get back into coaching. Given his thoughts on Kaep via you...he'd have to really want to stay out west to take the SF job.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not by much. If Rodgers' arm is a ten, Wilson's is a nine. Kid can fling it when he wants.
I respectfully disagree. Rodgers has the best arm in the NFL.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would be a good hire for them and yes there'll be a new starting QB with the 49ers regardless of who the coach is.
I could see Holmgren trading for an established QB that can function in the west coast offense.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I saw where you said that, but who takes a job under that circumstance?

Either he thinks Kaep is salvageable and he gives it a try, or he finds another job with a QB in place more to his liking...I think ATL is a good spot for him if he really wants to get back into coaching. Given his thoughts on Kaep via you...he'd have to really want to stay out west to take the SF job.

He is asked about coming out of retirement a lot on his various shows here. He has made it clear it would take something special, but pretty much always says he isn't looking to do so. He's happy spending time with his wife and doing the missionary work they do together and spending time traveling and seeing their kids.

He doesn't ever say Kaepernick is garbage. He's not like that, even as a member of the media. He questions things and if you listen closely the things he questions gives you clues about how he is evaluating him. He does say a lot that he can't pass judgement when he isn't in the day to day meetings and film study so he always leaves an out. Won't find anyone out there that doesn't think he's a class act and a hell of a coach.

You can understand why none of us would want to see him go there. Hard to hold him to as high of regard as we do and have him coach our rival.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not even sure why this is a thread here. Holmgren is not an option for the 9ers and many have posted as to why. No way this happens.

BHF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,037.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I respectfully disagree. Rodgers has the best arm in the NFL.

Pure arm strength? No, he doesn't. But pure arm strength is irrelevant anyway. Getting the ball downfield, where it needs to be, in a hurry? Yup, I'd take Rodgers over anyone. Hence my calling his arm a "ten". Doesn't mean that Wilson isn't terribly far behind him. Hence my rating his arm a "nine".

BHF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,037.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably 9, 10, and 7 or 8 respectively.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is asked about coming out of retirement a lot on his various shows here. He has made it clear it would take something special, but pretty much always says he isn't looking to do so. He's happy spending time with his wife and doing the missionary work they do together and spending time traveling and seeing their kids.

He doesn't ever say Kaepernick is garbage. He's not like that, even as a member of the media. He questions things and if you listen closely the things he questions gives you clues about how he is evaluating him. He does say a lot that he can't pass judgement when he isn't in the day to day meetings and film study so he always leaves an out. Won't find anyone out there that doesn't think he's a class act and a hell of a coach.

You can understand why none of us would want to see him go there. Hard to hold him to as high of regard as we do and have him coach our rival.

I understand...I think he's a great OFC mind and was very good @ coaching...I think the other job titles he took on was a bit more than he was able to handle...especially in CLE...he's not a great personnel guy.

The reason I say ATL is two-fold...#1 the team roster is probably only about 2 players on DEF from being a playoff caliber team...#2 the Falcons need a proven HC and a big name to restore confidence in fans that are facing PLS for seats in a new dome that's currently under construction.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We would all be happy for Holmgren if he came out of retirement and went to any other team not a rival.

The problem is he has been pretty clear that he wouldn't go anywhere not west coast if he ever did get the itch enough to come out of retirement. His main home is here in Seattle and he has property in California and Arizona. In fact he is going to be coaching the NFLPA bowl this January. He was asked to be a coach for the east west shrine game and passed on it because it is played in Florida and he didn't want to travel there. The NFLPA game is in Cali.

I could see Holmgren going to the Raiders or SF, but I couldn't see him taking a job farther east than the Bronco's. He's been pretty firm on that.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like Holmgren really doesn't want the grind again and I don't blame him...very few guys that left and came back were able to climb the mountain top on the second stint...Vermiel, and Carroll are the two that come to mind.

StoningtonQB

ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
News flash:

Jim Harbaugh is NOT leaving. Sources say he is staying but is getting rid of Greg Roman.

/THREAD.