• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mike Evans

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How often is Evans going to see the field over Crabtree and/or Boldin? I doubt it's going to be much in his rookie season. I don't think it's worth trading in to the top 10 for that.

So you are taking the short term must get someone who impacts the team right now player? Unfortunately there is not one in this draft. There is not one player that will be drafted and start right away this year.

The 9ers are set at every position right now. What they are looking for is starters for next season and players who can come in as back ups and not make mistakes. But next year will be starters.

The closest position that will maybe come close is the nickle corner. But Culliver and Brock are the starters. And Morris will most likely be the nickle. He played extremely well last year when needed. Cook and Cox are the ones who will be replaced right away by rookies. But next season or in an event of an injury the rookie will get playing time.

For WRs it takes a year for them to develop. Some have good years as rookies, but most are mediocre at best even taken in the top 10. But, wouldn't it be nice to have a WR ready to 1 replace Crabtree when he goes as a FA and 2 have a receiver who can go out there and start if an injury happens again.

As once stated by a former coach all skill players take a year to learn. Other than the QB the further you are from the QB the more years it takes. Safeties take 3 years, CBs 2 years, and WRs 1 year to really start playing well.

sjballer03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Throwing aback shoulder fade to a 6'1" player is different than a 6'5" player. It just needs to be close.

And I do like the other 2, but I like Evans way more.

Factor in his wingspan/vert and he has an impressive catch radius. That's for sure.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll take the learning curve at a cheaper price for two guys that can also be returners.

I see. So you are willing to risk those little guys getting injured returning the punts and kickoffs as a first round pick. Sounds just like what the Dolphins did when they drafted Ginn. That worked out well, for the 49ers.

sjballer03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
So you are taking the short term must get someone who impacts the team right now player? Unfortunately there is not one in this draft. There is not one player that will be drafted and start right away this year.

The 9ers are set at every position right now. What they are looking for is starters for next season and players who can come in as back ups and not make mistakes. But next year will be starters.

The closest position that will maybe come close is the nickle corner. But Culliver and Brock are the starters. And Morris will most likely be the nickle. He played extremely well last year when needed. Cook and Cox are the ones who will be replaced right away by rookies. But next season or in an event of an injury the rookie will get playing time.

For WRs it takes a year for them to develop. Some have good years as rookies, but most are mediocre at best even taken in the top 10. But, wouldn't it be nice to have a WR ready to 1 replace Crabtree when he goes as a FA and 2 have a receiver who can go out there and start if an injury happens again.

As once stated by a former coach all skill players take a year to learn. Other than the QB the further you are from the QB the more years it takes. Safeties take 3 years, CBs 2 years, and WRs 1 year to really start playing well.

You don't trade up into the top 10 unless it's for a guy that will play a decent amount of snaps from day one. If Evans drops to the middle of the 1st (highly doubtful), then I would be okay with trading up.

sjballer03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I see. So you are willing to risk those little guys getting injured returning the punts and kickoffs as a first round pick. Sounds just like what the Dolphins did when they drafted Ginn. That worked out well, for the 49ers.

Well, first off Ginn was a top 10 pick. Those "little guys" will be available much later in the 1st. You want to throw the entire draft at Evans. Fine. I'd rather get one or two of the plethora of WRs that will be available after Evans gets drafted.

Also, injuries can happen to anyone. Every player is at risk. Big or small. Experienced or inexperienced.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am a believer in if you need a bunch of people dont trade up. But with so few spots to fill on the team (even in a deep draft in the positions you kinda need) go after the best ones. If the 9ers used all their picks this year to get 1 great WR and 1 great CB I will find it a success. Everything else is gravy or someone who wont make the team and is a wasted pick.

There is just not enough room on the team for that many people. At the most I can see 5 people making the team from the draft. They have more than that in picks in the first 3 rounds. No 7th round picks will make the team and probably not a 5th round pick either.

But it all comes down to cost too. If it is a 1st, 2nd, 3rd and a 2nd from next year I would do it to get into the top 10. But I think they can get him at around 12 and give up a 1st, 2nd and 3rd to get him. And still have a 2nd and 2 3rds.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be happy if they made a big trade for Evans as well. They need a replacement for Crabtree guys. It's highly unlikely we are able to re-sign him after this season. It would be much better to have a guy like Evans already with 1 year under his belt to take that spot then be drafting for it next year. I'd love to keep Crabtree, but he was hard enough to sign as a rookie. He is going to over value and over price himself, but sadly someone will pay it. I also don't see us wasting a franchise tag on him. We will franchise Iupati over Crabs.

Gold Rush 86

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,413.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the rumors are true about us going to more 3 WR sets then Watkins or Evans could have a lot of playing time their rookie year.

michaelwarner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Evans too but only if he falls out of the top 10.

There is a lot of smoke out there but it looks like Latimer has jumped into the Beckham Cooks tier. Hopefully that pushes one of them down closer to us.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes I agree if he falls out of Top 10, then we jump on it.

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the rumors are true about us going to more 3 WR sets then Watkins or Evans could have a lot of playing time their rookie year.

I think that Harbaugh statement has been misconstrued. We will run more 3 WR sets then we have in the past but we will still be in the bottom of the league at it. We have been last in 3 WR sets in the Harbaugh era.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think that Harbaugh statement has been misconstrued. We will run more 3 WR sets then we have in the past but we will still be in the bottom of the league at it. We have been last in 3 WR sets in the Harbaugh era.

running more two WR sets isn't a big problem, we do ok between the 20's. going 3 wide would improve it but again, between the 20's. so stat wise it'll look better, but the bigger problem is scoring touchdowns.

Last edited by a moderator:

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watkins makes more sense than Evans in terms of diversity in the WR group... we need a burner, even if opens up the underneath, we need a burner....

I wouldn't be mad with Evans... if we get Evans, I'll be happy and think of Burress type impact.

michaelwarner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watkins makes more sense than Evans in terms of diversity in the WR group... we need a burner, even if opens up the underneath, we need a burner....

I wouldn't be mad with Evans... if we get Evans, I'll be happy and think of Burress type impact.

I totally agree, if he falls. I just don't think trading in the top 10 for Evans is good value at all. If we trade up into the top 10 I only want Watkins. (or Jadeveon...:) )

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[/B]

I totally agree, if he falls. I just don't think trading in the top 10 for Evans is good value at all. If we trade up into the top 10 I only want Watkins. (or Jadeveon...:) )

I would not be mad at a Saints type move for Clowney...

with Aldon being a :wtf2:... it almost makes it worth it...

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I would not be mad at a Saints type move for Clowney...

Neither would I. Could you imagine that pass rush? It wouldn't even be fair.

Trade Brooks; play Clowney at LOLB.

On 3rd down, play Lemonier at LOLB, Clowney at LDE, JSmith / RayMac at NT, Tank at RDE and Aldon at ROLB. Put the CBs in press coverage 'cause you know they're going to a 3-step drop.

Punt.

Last edited by a moderator:

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Kind of a cherry-picked example. Plenty of teams use a starting WR to return kicks. DeSean Jackson has done so in Philly. Antonio Brown in Pittsburgh. Golden Tate in Seattle. Julian Edelman in NE. Sproles and Patrick Peterson play other positions, but are also high profile players who do a lot of return work. Not saying that's the route we want to/have to go, but there's certainly no reason we couldn't put a high-pick WR back there to do some returning.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Neither would I. Could you imagine that pass rush? It wouldn't even be fair.

Trade Brooks; play Clowney at LOLB.

On 3rd down, play Lemonier at LOLB, Clowney at LDE, JSmith / RayMac at NT, Tank at RDE and Aldon at ROLB. Put the CBs in press coverage 'cause you know they're going to a 3-step drop.

Punt.

On third down, we typically play a 4-2-5, pulling the NT and moving our OLBs to DE. Do you pull Bowman/Willis to get us into this alignment? And do we rush five?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
On third down, we typically play a 4-2-5, pulling the NT and moving our OLBs to DE. Do you pull Bowman/Willis to get us into this alignment? And do we rush five?

Then in a 4-down line in a passing situation, I'd do it like this:

Lemonier / Tank, Clowney, JSmith / Tank, Aldon.

:drool:

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Honestly, if we're talking going into the top-5, I tend to agree that I would prefer to go after Clowney. I would be VERY unhappy about trading up all that way for a WR.