• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Michael Jordan: Tell me why YOU think he is the best ever

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is a dis-service to Akeem to suggest Michael would have won titles in 1994 and 1995.
Olajuwon was at his peak and dominated those years.

Plus, Houston was the one team that also seemed to have Jordan's number at around that time.
The Rockets gave those first 3 Bulls teams fits.
0-2 in 1991
1-1 in 1992
0-2 in 1993

I think Houston wins at least one if not two titles even if Jordan stuck around.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay you win. I bet you think Kobe is a better SG that MJ was as well, ya know the whole L.A. Lakers thing. Oh yeah also Worthy is the greatest SF of all time!:pound:

Hell no. MJ is the best ever ( already said that numerous times ) but that doesnt mean he was the best offensive player ever. There are quite a few Id put ahead of him for that actually. However his overall game exceeds them all. For what its worth the best offensive player in history is Oscar Robertson and THAT is NOT debatable. Also Big ) had the best first 5 years of a career in league history. The man AVERAGED a triple double on a per game basis for his first 5 years in the league. Now that is fucking unreal. If they had had the 3 point shot in the NBA at the time it is estimated Roberston would have been responsible for roughly 55 ppg. Unbelievable,

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many times have we seen Jordan score a game winner while being double teamed. Stopping Jordan was priority #1 for teams. Defenses keyed on him and he still burned them. From outside even!

Well sure man. Thats how it is for all great scorers. MJ was fortunate in that his size let him shoot over most people and the rules of the game at the time pretty much made it impossible for him to be doubled unless he was posting up. I love MJ ( as I said he is the GOAT ) but its not honest to say he was an awesome shooter when he wasnt. He was a GREAT slasher and penetrtator ( the best ever by a wide margin ) and he was a competent shooter that had more hot streaks than most.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Teams played more defense during Jordan's era and games were lower scoring.

When you really needed a basket Jordan was the guy you turned to. Magic was never seen this way.

Eh I dont know. There definitely were not as many good shooters in the 90's as there was the 80's ( ironically probably due in part to MJs success ) so scoring was down during that era but Id attribute it more to a lack of knock down shooters per team than I would to great defense.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hell no. MJ is the best ever ( already said that numerous times ) but that doesnt mean he was the best offensive player ever. There are quite a few Id put ahead of him for that actually. However his overall game exceeds them all. For what its worth the best offensive player in history is Oscar Robertson and THAT is NOT debatable. Also Big ) had the best first 5 years of a career in league history. The man AVERAGED a triple double on a per game basis for his first 5 years in the league. Now that is fucking unreal. If they had had the 3 point shot in the NBA at the time it is estimated Roberston would have been responsible for roughly 55 ppg. Unbelievable,

I was just being a smartass w/ that Lakers comment, my bad. This is tough for me to say because I have always been a Celtics fan but I loved watching Magic run Showtime (except in '85 & '87!). And mentioning The Big O, excellent choice. Speaking of the 3 point line, The Logo's scoring #'s would have been even greater as well I think.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was just being a smartass w/ that Lakers comment, my bad. This is tough for me to say because I have always been a Celtics fan but I loved watching Magic run Showtime (except in '85 & '87!). And mentioning The Big O, excellent choice. Speaking of the 3 point line, The Logo's scoring #'s would have been even greater as well I think.

Hell yeah, probably 5-6 PPG more.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many times have we seen Jordan score a game winner while being double teamed. Stopping Jordan was priority #1 for teams. Defenses keyed on him and he still burned them. From outside even!

Did you forget about this one Hoople? :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:

Mayday Malone

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Excellent topic, because as a Celts fan I've always questioned MJ's place against other greats. I know I start off with a bias anyways, but I don't understand how any true fan can ignore the first part of his career. Beyond the weak team argument that's tossed up all the time, he was seen as the ultimate ball hog, a guy that couldn't get his teammates involved when it counted. In the 80's there were three teams in the east that kicked his ass out of the playoffs year in and year out. If he didn't retire, I think the Knicks would have done it too. The idea that he's unstoppable in the playoffs is a friggin joke. Bird crushed him, and Magic would have too, if he were in the east. HE DID NOT START WINNING CHAMPIONSHIPS UNTIL BIRD AND MAGIC WERE DONE! Name one All Star from the 1993 East squad, besides Patrick Ewing. Those Gran' Mamma (Larry Johnson)commercials sound a little different now, don't they.

I'll start:

Mark Price

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzO_emh8XRg&spfreload=10]Michael Jordan tribute w/ Tupac - YouTube[/ame]

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But he won those 6 titles, so :noidea:

Bill Russell won 11 - So wouldn't that make him better than Michael Jordan?

If you're counting rings that is

Like I said - the best ever - NO

One of the best - YES

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to disagree with fellow Celtic. Jordan was amazing as video showed. He was just so overpowering on offense, and to think he also played world class D.

Russell is number 2, but MJ is #1.

OK, yup Bill had more rings, but Jordan had Pippen and satellite players. And yes, he would have had 8 if he did not gamble

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Teams played more defense during Jordan's era and games were lower scoring.

When you really needed a basket Jordan was the guy you turned to. Magic was never seen this way.

Teams didn't play better defense in MJ's era, they played worse offense. MJ's era was what ushered in clear outs and 1 guy dominating the ball. This type of play slowed the game down and led to lower scoring throughout the league.

Also, while Magic didn't have quite the "clutch" reputation that MJ has, he was definitely known as a clutch player.

jontaejones

Hoopla Cash
$ 149.32
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Excellent topic, because as a Celts fan I've always questioned MJ's place against other greats. I know I start off with a bias anyways, but I don't understand how any true fan can ignore the first part of his career. Beyond the weak team argument that's tossed up all the time, he was seen as the ultimate ball hog, a guy that couldn't get his teammates involved when it counted. In the 80's there were three teams in the east that kicked his ass out of the playoffs year in and year out. If he didn't retire, I think the Knicks would have done it too. The idea that he's unstoppable in the playoffs is a friggin joke. Bird crushed him, and Magic would have too, if he were in the east. HE DID NOT START WINNING CHAMPIONSHIPS UNTIL BIRD AND MAGIC WERE DONE! Name one All Star from the 1993 East squad, besides Patrick Ewing. Those Gran' Mamma (Larry Johnson)commercials sound a little different now, don't they.

I'll start:

Mark Price

I count 5 hall of famers from that East squad.

And Mark Price was a bad Mofo. One of the most underrated players of that era.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 142,300.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is easy, stone cold killer.

desert heat

prominent member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,531.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no #2 guard is the goat or ever will be.

the goats are chamberlain, magic, and jabbar.

Inimical

Sports Hooplah Local Reporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 523.17
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jordan was the first guard to really dominate the league. He was also the most clutch performer ever. He always came to play. You could count on him on offense and defense. He also is 6-0 in the NBA finals. And i would argue that his HOF teammates are not HOFs without him, and vice versa. He also accomplished many great things while going through personal turmoil. He took 2 years off and came back and won 3 in a row. I mean, his story is pretty crazy. Statistics, performances, awe inspiring moves, clutch shots, winning, its all there.