• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Michael Bennett seeking trade

WB1214

Hoopla Cash
$ 802.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trufant is a legitimate piece to build a defense around. Already a top ten corner and with a chance at getting to to top five.

Other than that though.. nothing more than that average players. Moore isn't bad, Lowry is solid. Not game changers though

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trufant is a legitimate piece to build a defense around. Already a top ten corner and with a chance at getting to to top five.

Other than that though.. nothing more than that average players. Moore isn't bad, Lowry is solid. Not game changers though

Falcons have to try hard to screw up this draft. There's a bunch of top tier pass rushers available in the top 10 (Atlanta dead last in pass defense and T-30th overall in sacks against opponent). There's decent run stuffing DTs in the middle rounds (Atlanta was close to bottom 10 rush D), and TONS of depth at RB (21st in rush O).

This draft is stockpiled with elite and good DE/OLB rushers, runningbacks, D-Line, and WRs (which Falcons really don't need compared to other positions atm). Don't believe me you can go look at the NFL draft tracker grades by position. Fairly weak QB/OL/TE/S/ILB class. CB is middle of the road.

WB1214

Hoopla Cash
$ 802.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Falcons have to try hard to screw up this draft. There's a bunch of top tier pass rushers available in the top 10 (Atlanta dead last in pass defense and T-30th overall in sacks against opponent). There's decent run stuffing DTs in the middle rounds (Atlanta was close to bottom 10 rush D), and TONS of depth at RB (21st in rush O).

This draft is stockpiled with elite and good DE/OLB rushers, runningbacks, D-Line, and WRs (which Falcons really don't need compared to other positions atm). Don't believe me you can go look at the NFL draft tracker grades by position. Fairly weak QB/OL/TE/S/ILB class. CB is middle of the road.

Absolutely. This is a huge draft or us, strong in positions we have our biggest needs. We've really struggled in drafts lately after we had a couple of strong ones early in the Mike Smith era... we need some difference makers

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would agree with all that. If they can get a guy in the 1st that can pair with Clayborn then I do see them standing a chance of winning this division this year and building off of that. They need the OL to actually stay healthy and that 1st round pass rusher to be a huge hit. With the Saints in transition, the Bucs building from the bottom up that leaves the Falcons and Panthers in my opinion competing for the division. I like the Panthers a little more just because I think they have a bit more established players that have proven ability but it would not surprise me to see the Falcons have a nice turn around and have a winning record this year.

Possible...I think CAR still has the best front 7 in the DIV, if they were to find a legit 3rd option for Cam you'd think they can be a 9+ win team for the next few yrs....In spite of the Graham deal, I think NO will be in the mix. IMO for ATL to be in contention quick...the OFC cannot fall off...RB play needs to flourish to take some 3rd down pressure off Ryan.

IF the DEF pcs jell quickly...maybe they be a 9-7 to 10-6 team.

packerzrule

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 30.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Possible...I think CAR still has the best front 7 in the DIV, if they were to find a legit 3rd option for Cam you'd think they can be a 9+ win team for the next few yrs....In spite of the Graham deal, I think NO will be in the mix. IMO for ATL to be in contention quick...the OFC cannot fall off...RB play needs to flourish to take some 3rd down pressure off Ryan.

IF the DEF pcs jell quickly...maybe they be a 9-7 to 10-6 team.

Greg Jennings is still available

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, doubt Seattle trades Bennett or lets him go.

Oldschool739

It's my Country, Flag, Bible, Gun. Don't try it !
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just have a hard time seeing the Seahawks do this. They would actually take a Cap Hit of $4 million by letting him go because of his signing bonus.

Not if he agrees to pay it back to get out of there....He won't even sniff a SB in Atlanta for a while at least and by then, he'll probably be through....New system, coaches, players and Matty can't seem to get over the playoff hump....He may wish he had of stayed put....:tsk:

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not if he agrees to pay it back to get out of there....He won't even sniff a SB in Atlanta for a while at least and by then, he'll probably be through....New system, coaches, players and Matty can't seem to get over the playoff hump....He may wish he had of stayed put....:tsk:

Almost certain that is not correct. He cannot give it back. If he retires the team can go after him according to the CBA to try and get a portion of it back but that is the only way and it is credited to the next season not this one for Cap Space. So again if they trade him they still have to eat that $6 million left on his signing bonus. So they essentially would get a $2 million savings (which actually they wouldn't as they still have to count another contract against the 53 highest so lowest is probably something like $500-600,000 meaning the real cap savings is probably closer to $1.5 million. Not really worth it considering the play that Bennett gives the team. So the only way this really pays off for the Seahawks is if they are getting 1st round pick type value. Still considering they are in a huge Super Bowl window losing your best pass rusher doesn't make much sense even for a 1st round pick.

Oldschool739

It's my Country, Flag, Bible, Gun. Don't try it !
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Almost certain that is not correct. He cannot give it back. If he retires the team can go after him according to the CBA to try and get a portion of it back but that is the only way and it is credited to the next season not this one for Cap Space. So again if they trade him they still have to eat that $6 million left on his signing bonus. So they essentially would get a $2 million savings (which actually they wouldn't as they still have to count another contract against the 53 highest so lowest is probably something like $500-600,000 meaning the real cap savings is probably closer to $1.5 million. Not really worth it considering the play that Bennett gives the team. So the only way this really pays off for the Seahawks is if they are getting 1st round pick type value. Still considering they are in a huge Super Bowl window losing your best pass rusher doesn't make much sense even for a 1st round pick.

Have you ever heard the term "buying out of a contract", I know I've heard some players say that before concerning these type of instances.....It has been long enough ago that I can't remember who they were and maybe it has changed since then....I am no expert on the cap in any sense of the word, but I would think that an agent would prepare for situations like this because of it's increase in the league today....
Certainly these billionaire owners are not going to sign contracts that would trap them and no contingencies to allow for a remedy.....
You seem far more knowledgeable in the area than me, so maybe I'm wrong....I do have some business knowledge though and contracts that one sided and leave a business that vulnerable just seems highly unlikely to me....just sayin'

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have you ever heard the term "buying out of a contract", I know I've heard some players say that before concerning these type of instances.....It has been long enough ago that I can't remember who they were and maybe it has changed since then....I am no expert on the cap in any sense of the word, but I would think that an agent would prepare for situations like this because of it's increase in the league today....
Certainly these billionaire owners are not going to sign contracts that would trap them and no contingencies to allow for a remedy.....
You seem far more knowledgeable in the area than me, so maybe I'm wrong....I do have some business knowledge though and contracts that one sided and leave a business that vulnerable just seems highly unlikely to me....just sayin'

Well if you can find some kind of source that says they can do that then I will believe you. I just have researched NFL contracts quite a bit and have never seen the ability to buy out of a contract. Doesn't mean it isn't there but so far in the NFL no one has used it if it is available. Like I said the only thing I have found is if a player retires an NFL team can go after the player to get back some of the signing bonus. The Patriots just tried this with Hernandez since he is in prison. Last I knew the NFL had denied the Patriots getting any kind of Cap relief for him being put into prison.

The reason I think the NFL doesn't allow for this is because NFL teams like to do these huge signing bonuses to players to get cap relief. If all that needed to happen to then get that money back and never have the big cap hit come because of a player was to talk them into going elsewhere if they would buy out their contract to get the next big one I just think that could cause some chaos.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Will Seahawks fans apologize to Clarance Hill after jumping down his throat for that tweet? Give the man credit....he just knew it a month and half before anyone else

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meanwhile in lala land....

"We want to have a roster full of talented players making less than market value, and every single one of them needs to be happy about it."

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right now Bennett can want a new contract as I'm sure many players do. Unfortunately for him the Seahawks hold all the cards. He can choose to sit out but then he doesn't get paid the $8 million he is supposed to earn this year. Plus then next year he is right back in this same situation as the Seahawks would still hold the rights to him. I could see the Seahawks being willing to turn some of his later dollars on the contract into signing bonus but it won't be him actually making more money just making more money right now.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
8 mil a year and he's bitching about it. What a joke.

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right now Bennett can want a new contract as I'm sure many players do. Unfortunately for him the Seahawks hold all the cards. He can choose to sit out but then he doesn't get paid the $8 million he is supposed to earn this year. Plus then next year he is right back in this same situation as the Seahawks would still hold the rights to him. I could see the Seahawks being willing to turn some of his later dollars on the contract into signing bonus but it won't be him actually making more money just making more money right now.

Correct. The Seahawks have stated many times that they will not renegotiate contracts unless they are in their final year. Bennett has no leverage. Let him hold out if he wants to. Stupid to sign a 4 year deal and then want a redo 1 year later. Fire your agent if you want but don't make idiot demands.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Correct. The Seahawks have stated many times that they will not renegotiate contracts unless they are in their final year. Bennett has no leverage. Let him hold out if he wants to. Stupid to sign a 4 year deal and then want a redo 1 year later. Fire your agent if you want but don't make idiot demands.

I thought he did switch agents. This is all just posturing for future years (which is a good thing imo because the demands still need to be proven on the field and he backs himself in to a corner to perform by making the demands public) there is NO way that he realistically expects something done this year.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Agree on the agent part. Players the last couple of years have been getting record contracts. Bennett should have seen that and told his agent that is what I want. He was coming off a career year after just winning the Super Bowl. No better time to cash out. Can't sign the contract then be ticked about how much you are getting paid. He had to sign on the dotted line to make it happen. Nobody forced his hand. I know there were other teams willing to pay much more than what Seattle did so again his choice to then sign for less than market value.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They incur the cap hit on the unallocated bonus either way. That isn't what "buying out a contract is". $12M cap hit to cut him and $8M cap hit to keep him. Not sure about the rest of you, but I'm keeping him if that's the case...