• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Michael Bennett seeking trade

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't wait for the preseason to start. All we have to talk about is whether or not a qb who's obviously not going anywhere is going somewhere in 3 years, and whether or not a guy who's totally overrated in his own head is going to show up or not.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So fans with a rooting interest to see Seattle decline are predicting it to happen. Shocking.
You are obviously in denial.
You can't see that because your team is still good and your competitors are spewing a lot of negativity,
that this will hurt your team - even if the other teams are still not as good?
You just don't get it!

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speculation... Seattle has locked down most of their key players... Plus as the business roll's, who's to say Pete and John didn't hit on the draft again.... So far they've done a pretty dam good job in that area ...
I don't remember you guys drafting a QB to replace Wilson. If you give Wilson 25 mill a year that will kill your team and if you let him walk u will start a rebuild process.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is incorrect. On March 11, 2014 he signed a 4 year deal for $28.5M that included a signing bonus of $8M. His play in 2013 earned him this contract; his '14 season was not as strong as '13 so pretty tough to say he's outplayed his current deal.
You make yourself look bad when you have no idea about the terms of Bennett's contract, yet try to speak as if you do.
The signing bonus and 1st 2 contract years are guaranteed - for a total of $16M. The last 2 years aren't guaranteed. The Seahawks can keep him, cut him, or trade him. Thus: It was a 2 year $16M deal with option years.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seattle will get another year out of him for sure (he's getting paid enough and while someone did confirm a player has set out nearly an entire season, it's extremely rare). After that I wouldn't mind shipping him elsewhere for a 2nd rounder (potentially 1st based on Seattle's placement). I think Frank Clark will take over Bennett's role completely and no surprise Seattle drafted him. He's got the exact mold of Bennett, is cheaper, and helps Seattle fit in Wilson's contract.

It's pretty obvious Seattle is looking to ship out Bennett/Okung after this season. Poole/Clark will easily take over those starting jobs... Clark was easily a late 1st rounder without off field issues (which didn't really exist because.... nothing was found!) and Poole just needs a year on the bench to learn. He was a 2nd rounder if he was NFL ready.

Clark was not a 1st rounder at any point...I mean his best season had him with 4.5 sacks. If you are going 1st round as a DE/OLB then usually that means you have shown both talent and potential. Clark is a bull rusher with decent effort but talent wise is very mediocre. He doesn't have the speed or counter moves to help his bull rush mean anything.

Also the idea of Poole stepping in for Okung and it being an easy transition is just fooling yourself. We are talking about a 1st round LT compared to a guy that some thought would go undrafted. I don't mind Poole but again a very limited player. Most were thinking he would be one moving to OG not LT where athleticism especially in the ZBS that the Seahawks run is a must. He has very slow feet and gets beat by speed rushes way too often.

I'm sorry but not all work out perfectly and so far the Seahawks have shown since Carroll took over that they struggle to draft OL and DL has been more helped by bringing in FA's than actual draft picks so far. Every team has their struggles in the draft and so far this seems to be the two areas Seattle struggles with most.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The signing bonus and 1st 2 contract years are guaranteed - for a total of $16M. The last 2 years aren't guaranteed. The Seahawks can keep him, cut him, or trade him. Thus: It was a 2 year $16M deal with option years.
You can describe every contract like that if you try hard enough. It was a 4 year deal.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clark was not a 1st rounder at any point...I mean his best season had him with 4.5 sacks. If you are going 1st round as a DE/OLB then usually that means you have shown both talent and potential. Clark is a bull rusher with decent effort but talent wise is very mediocre. He doesn't have the speed or counter moves to help his bull rush mean anything.

Also the idea of Poole stepping in for Okung and it being an easy transition is just fooling yourself. We are talking about a 1st round LT compared to a guy that some thought would go undrafted. I don't mind Poole but again a very limited player. Most were thinking he would be one moving to OG not LT where athleticism especially in the ZBS that the Seahawks run is a must. He has very slow feet and gets beat by speed rushes way too often.

I'm sorry but not all work out perfectly and so far the Seahawks have shown since Carroll took over that they struggle to draft OL and DL has been more helped by bringing in FA's than actual draft picks so far. Every team has their struggles in the draft and so far this seems to be the two areas Seattle struggles with most.

Insightful post and not going to argue with what I bolded, spot on. Drafting DL is extremely difficult so I'll give Seattle a pass on that.

Agree on Clark, although his speed isn't a problem. Talent/moves wise though spot on. Hopefully Seattle can coach that?

All said though, like your post, you bring up very valid points.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Insightful post and not going to argue with what I bolded, spot on. Drafting DL is extremely difficult so I'll give Seattle a pass on that.

Agree on Clark, although his speed isn't a problem. Talent/moves wise though spot on. Hopefully Seattle can coach that?

All said though, like your post, you bring up very valid points.

Well Seattle has shown they are one of the better especially on defense of coaching guys up so maybe they can get the most out of Clark. Poole is the one I just don't see thriving especially if they expect him to be a LT. Okung definitely has struggled the last couple of years so maybe finding his replacement won't be as tough as first thought but we shall see. Overall Seattle still has one of the top-3 rosters in football so good chance none of these rookies do a whole lot this year. Lockett is the one I can see having an impact but Seattle like good drafting teams don't draft guys to do much in year one. Any team depending on rookies to play at a high level year one are already in trouble. Year 2 and beyond is where you have to be looking and well I can see that with Poole, Clark, and others that they are pretty raw players.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well Seattle has shown they are one of the better especially on defense of coaching guys up so maybe they can get the most out of Clark. Poole is the one I just don't see thriving especially if they expect him to be a LT. Okung definitely has struggled the last couple of years so maybe finding his replacement won't be as tough as first thought but we shall see. Overall Seattle still has one of the top-3 rosters in football so good chance none of these rookies do a whole lot this year. Lockett is the one I can see having an impact but Seattle like good drafting teams don't draft guys to do much in year one. Any team depending on rookies to play at a high level year one are already in trouble. Year 2 and beyond is where you have to be looking and well I can see that with Poole, Clark, and others that they are pretty raw players.

Yah, that's mostly where I was going. Okung/Bennett aren't going anywhere this year (obviously)... I was more or less thinking longer term.

Why don't you see Poole thriving and at LT? Do you think he'd be better at G or something? Curious if you have read something or know something I don't... appreciate any insight.

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

"Richard Sherman is too tall and not athletic enough to be a starting cornerback in the league. He is very physical yet lacks the quickness to keep up with NFL receivers" etc. etc. etc.

"Kam Chancellor is too big to be an NFL safety, he must switch to a weakside line backer to have any hope of sticking in the NFL" etc. etc. etc.

"Russel Wilson is just too short........" etc. etc. etc.

Same stuff your saying about the guys drafted this year........was said about alot of seahawks in the past. Will seattle hit on all of them? No. but Im sorry, Cdumler, I respect your takes on pretty much everything. But when it comes to drafting players and fitting them together, Schneider and Carroll have a pretty good track record no?

Who said poole replacing okung? Maybe we talk next year, but now he's a rotational depth guy

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yah, that's mostly where I was going. Okung/Bennett aren't going anywhere this year (obviously)... I was more or less thinking longer term.

Why don't you see Poole thriving and at LT? Do you think he'd be better at G or something? Curious if you have read something or know something I don't... appreciate any insight.

Well there are a few things that I look for in an OL player. Probably the first and biggest is that of foot quickness especially if they are going to play LT. In the few games I watched of Poole he has a terrible 1st step which is why he gets beat by speed rushers and why at the East/West Shrine Bowl he got abused when he went against better talent. In the Mountain West Division the talent wasn't there to expose this issue as anybody who got by him he could use his great punch to just push them to the side. In the NFL that just won't work as well. Foot quickness is something he can improve on but will never be great at. Throw in then with the Seahawks right now running a ZBS where foot quickness is the biggest thing you need to be success I just see him as a better fit at the RG spot because of that.

Beyond that technique issues abound. He has never really been taught how to mirror opponents. That is pretty darn obvious so again he relies on his ability to just punch a player out of the play more so than good technique to continue to win the battle. Again his punch while it will help him won't be as effective in the pros and guys will quickly realize how to beat that. Throw in then he struggles when guys use counter moves as his feet just are not set so players can get him turned around quite easily.

Again some of this can be coached but I just don't see him ever being a top-10 LT in the league with how many great ones there are these days that have both athleticism and great technique. I just think moving him inside helps to protect against his weaknesses a lot more and allows his strengths to shine through.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Richard Sherman is too tall and not athletic enough to be a starting cornerback in the league. He is very physical yet lacks the quickness to keep up with NFL receivers" etc. etc. etc.

"Kam Chancellor is too big to be an NFL safety, he must switch to a weakside line backer to have any hope of sticking in the NFL" etc. etc. etc.

"Russel Wilson is just too short........" etc. etc. etc.

Same stuff your saying about the guys drafted this year........was said about alot of seahawks in the past. Will seattle hit on all of them? No. but Im sorry, Cdumler, I respect your takes on pretty much everything. But when it comes to drafting players and fitting them together, Schneider and Carroll have a pretty good track record no?

Who said poole replacing okung? Maybe we talk next year, but now he's a rotational depth guy

First off Shark is the one that was talking about Clark replacing Bennett and Poole replacing Okung. Obviously not this year but was more looking to next year or the year after that. And yes I get that a lot of Seahawks players have had that said about them to then see them succeed. I am talking about DL and OL here though where Seattle hasn't been able to produce quite the talent through the draft that they have at other positions.

I mean at this time on the OL Justin Britt started last year but finished as the 3rd worst RT in the game only in front of one other rookie and that of Michael Oher. Beyond him you have Carpenter who most Seattle fans couldn't wait to get out of town. You have John Moffitt who has had a very crazy career and off the field problems. Russell Okung as a top-6 pick is the only one that has shown some ability that Seattle has drafted since the new regime took over.

DL wise they are in the same boat. They have drafted some decent depth guys but no good starter.

Again like I said every team has those positions that they are amazing at drafting and other positions that they are terrible. For the Broncos since Elway took over they stink at the Safety position and I would say OL has been a struggle as well. Positions they are great at though have been TE, Corner, and Linebacker. It is just how things go. If we were talking here about a Corner, Safety, or Linebacker for the Seahawks then yes I give them the benefit of the doubt big time as they have shown they can develop these guys and put them in a system that fits their strengths and covers up any weaknesses. They are incredible at those positions best in the league so again this is more about the position we are talking about than anything else.

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First off Shark is the one that was talking about Clark replacing Bennett and Poole replacing Okung. Obviously not this year but was more looking to next year or the year after that. And yes I get that a lot of Seahawks players have had that said about them to then see them succeed. I am talking about DL and OL here though where Seattle hasn't been able to produce quite the talent through the draft that they have at other positions.

I mean at this time on the OL Justin Britt started last year but finished as the 3rd worst RT in the game only in front of one other rookie and that of Michael Oher. Beyond him you have Carpenter who most Seattle fans couldn't wait to get out of town. You have John Moffitt who has had a very crazy career and off the field problems. Russell Okung as a top-6 pick is the only one that has shown some ability that Seattle has drafted since the new regime took over.

DL wise they are in the same boat. They have drafted some decent depth guys but no good starter.

Again like I said every team has those positions that they are amazing at drafting and other positions that they are terrible. For the Broncos since Elway took over they stink at the Safety position and I would say OL has been a struggle as well. Positions they are great at though have been TE, Corner, and Linebacker. It is just how things go. If we were talking here about a Corner, Safety, or Linebacker for the Seahawks then yes I give them the benefit of the doubt big time as they have shown they can develop these guys and put them in a system that fits their strengths and covers up any weaknesses. They are incredible at those positions best in the league so again this is more about the position we are talking about than anything else.

We can agree that the lines aren't their strength. Meaning they haven't drafted all pros at those spots. But I'd say Max Unger who was an all pro before being hurt, then traded. JR Sweezy started basically all games the last two years was drafted in the 7th round as a DTackle and moved to guard. Britt was a rookie thrown into the fire. You wont get me saying much positive about the oline though.

DL, seattle has chosen to spend money here. There are guys they've drafted who are depth guy, Hill if he stays healthy can be a difference maker, You already mentioned clark. Don't forget that Seattle was the team that originally signed Michael Bennett as a UDFA...

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Colin Kaepernick for Michael Bennett. We got a deal?
No thanks, we have a QB.
I'm not trying to be an ass, but as I sit in drunken thought for a moment I'm not sure I would trade Bennett for anyone on your squad.
Aldon smith is probably your best player, but...it's Aldon.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
No thanks, we have a QB.
I'm not trying to be an ass, but as I sit in drunken thought for a moment I'm not sure I would trade Bennett for anyone on your squad.
Aldon smith is probably your best player, but...it's Aldon.

Well Bennett's been a beast, and great D-linemen are extremely hard to come by. So you're probably right.