• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Miami Dolphins Rebuilding - Again

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dak isn’t signing for less than 55 now.

He's been locked into a tight range between $52M and maybe a max of $56M for over a year now and each subsequent contract has solidified that range not expanded it. The idea that guys get more expensive every year (or really every week as the next contract is signed) is true of course, but in this one instance, it has pretty much frozen. Actually as a % of the cap the QB salaries have come down so they are getting cheaper for teams. The comment that this is a deal making Jerry's ass pucker is just false. It's reinforcing whatever offer has been made, if one has even been made. It reinforces my opinion that they should wait until after the season when if signed early it's likely still in that same range. If they do that it will be 2 years since the Eagles gave Hurts $51M per and it won't be for much more than that.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That stat kind of starts the conversation of whether or not giving good but not great QBs record money is the best way to build a football team.
It’s really not a question. You either continue on a path with your QB and pay him or you don’t and you start over with a rookie payscale QB. I think the only thing clear is that you’ll never be anything or go anywhere taking the QB off the scrap heap someone else doesn’t want to pay. No one is winning a Super Bowl with Jimmy G or Kirk Cousins or Geno Smith.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's been locked into a tight range between $52M and maybe a max of $56M for over a year now and each subsequent contract has solidified that range not expanded it. The idea that guys get more expensive every year (or really every week as the next contract is signed) is true of course, but in this one instance, it has pretty much frozen. Actually as a % of the cap the QB salaries have come down so they are getting cheaper for teams. The comment that this is a deal making Jerry's ass pucker is just false. It's reinforcing whatever offer has been made, if one has even been made. It reinforces my opinion that they should wait until after the season when if signed early it's likely still in that same range. If they do that it will be 2 years since the Eagles gave Hurts $51M per and it won't be for much more than that.
Standing O

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’s really not a question. You either continue on a path with your QB and pay him or you don’t and you start over with a rookie payscale QB. I think the only thing clear is that you’ll never be anything or go anywhere taking the QB off the scrap heap someone else doesn’t want to pay. No one is winning a Super Bowl with Jimmy G or Kirk Cousins or Geno Smith.
I agree in theory, but also disagree a little depending on situation. Not with those 3 QBs you mentioned because Cousins is too expensive to buck the trend and the other 2 are not really good QBs. But, I think if you have the right player in the right situation it can be worth paying him $20ish million or whatever. Foles is an example of a re-tread. Seattle the year they brought Geno in for cheap could have been a good example but the team as a whole wasn't talented enough. Brady and Stafford were in the first year with their team. I think every year now QBs are available and the right guy at the right price canl win a SB. All of these conversations are skewed by Mahomes and Brady winning all of the SBs.But, I am a believer in pay the great ones or start over at the QB position in a cap world. Don't pay the OK ones great QB money

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree in theory, but also disagree a little depending on situation. Not with those 3 QBs you mentioned because Cousins is too expensive to buck the trend and the other 2 are not really good QBs. But, I think if you have the right player in the right situation it can be worth paying him $20ish million or whatever. Foles is an example of a re-tread. Seattle the year they brought Geno in for cheap could have been a good example but the team as a whole wasn't talented enough. Brady and Stafford were in the first year with their team. I think every year now QBs are available and the right guy at the right price canl win a SB. All of these conversations are skewed by Mahomes and Brady winning all of the SBs.But, I am a believer in pay the great ones or start over at the QB position in a cap world. Don't pay the OK ones great QB money
So where are you on Dak? Is he the OK one or a great QB?

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So where are you on Dak? Is he the OK one or a great QB?
Dal is better than OK, but not great. He is in the good but not great category. I am in the same place I have been for a couple of years. He earns or doesn't earn his next contract depending on this years postseason success. He clearly has earned his salary in the regular season and last year outplayed most of the guys on that list by a lot, but all that matters is winning SBs. The success or failure is obviously not all because of him of course, but there is no reason to lock in 4 or 5 more years of the same and you can't get rid of 53 players so he and the head coach both go without at least an NFC Championship game appearance. Jerry is clearly not capable of putting together a SB winning team with a QB making $55M unless that QB can put a team on his back.So either Dak proves to be that or you use those dollars to sign 2 or 3 stars and go a different route at QB. The worst thing Jerry could do at this specific point is re-sign Dak. The cap savings does nothing for the team in August and you might as well wait it out. They will have more cap space than they know what to do with once CeeDee signs to handle any trade deadline desires or to extend Micah.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dak is clearly worth a large contract in the current NFL and if he does not get it in Dallas this year he will pull a Kirk Cousins and get it elsewhere. Bottom line is a QB like that gives you a chance to win. His nuts may shrink in the playoffs but franchises will take that. The only concern I would have is his injury history, specifically his foot and ankle, and whether he is really 100%. He was in a walking boot after one of the spring camps which seemed really odd, but he tried to downplay it.