• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Miami Dolphins Off-Season Thread

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah that's what I was thinking the last thing they need is to reach for a QB and feel like they have to start him. I'd be ok with anything past the first round but would prefer to keep Tanny so we have a chance and don't have to force a rookie into starting. Let him earn it...

Tannehill would win half of his games like usual. The Fins would be back at around 8-8 again & picking in the middle of the draft. I would rather see the team tank for a year to get a player like Tua or Fromm in the next draft. One idea is to give Luke Falk a chance. If the team loses that's OK. If he wins then the Fins may have found a franchise QB.

Whatever they do at QB the team needs to add quality depth and better coaching on the Oline to protect the future franchise player. In the past when injuries happen the offense goes downhill.

Last edited by a moderator:

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tannehill would win half of his games like usual. The Fins would be back at around 8-8 again & picking in the middle of the draft. I would rather see the team tank for a year to get a player like Tua or Fromm in the next draft. One idea is to give Luke Falk a chance. If the team loses that's OK. If he wins then the Fins may have found a franchise QB.

Whatever they do at QB the team needs to add quality depth and better coaching on the Oline to protect the future franchise player. In the past when injuries happen the offense goes downhill.
I can't disagree with your approach if they decide to move on from Tanny. Perhaps it will be about the money why pay him if your oline can't protect him. Next year is looking like a complete wildcard season who knows what will happen but sometimes taking a step back is best before you can move forward. Ross did say this but I don't believe that the team is as bad as some believe...

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Fins will release some veterans to try to free up cap space and potentially add draft pick(s). This could effect the wins and losses.

The Fins aren't a bad team they just have been average for too long.

Paolo305613

Hoopla Cash
$ 130.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First things first , the Jets have hired Adam Gase.... because .... Jets

Paolo305613

Hoopla Cash
$ 130.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now on to the discussion above — the Dolphins , under NO circumstances, do they need to tank.

Tanking is simply unacceptable and unnecessary.

Teams can , have and should be able to rebuild without “ tanking “. Furthermore, the Fins haven’t had consistent enough luck in the draft to be able to risk “ tanking “ for a high draft spot .

I agree there will be some cap casualties to try to improve the team through the draft — but I think in the case of Tannehill and even Wake, the team will look to restructure some contracts before actually just letting guys go .

And , no , I’m not saying tanking is a bad idea — but it’s not the proven option some make it out to be or want it to be for the sake of seeing the team blow it up . In fact , I’d like to see leagues continue to find ways to discourage “ tanking “ and help find ways to make leagues more competitive.

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RE Gase: It would not surprise me if he has success with the Jets. Let's face it they are in a better position than the Fins. They have a young franchise QB, the second most salary cap space in the league (The Fins are 26th on the list) and the Jets have the 3rd pick in the draft and earlier picks than the Fins in each round.

When I mention tanking I mean drafting and developing young players and building towards success in the future and fixing the salary cap.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RE Gase: It would not surprise me if he has success with the Jets. Let's face it they are in a better position than the Fins. They have a young franchise QB, the second most salary cap space in the league (The Fins are 26th on the list) and the Jets have the 3rd pick in the draft and earlier picks than the Fins in each round.

When I mention tanking I mean drafting and developing young players and building towards success in the future and fixing the salary cap.
The Jets have a horrible roster it's going to take time. Gase will sabotage his offence because he's stuck in his ways... if the Fins have a good draft and are healthier they will do better than we think. Of course it depends who's at QB but say they go with Falk who's to say that he isn't good?

Paolo305613

Hoopla Cash
$ 130.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

When people use the word "tanking" it usually refers to the team purposely losing -- so thats where I thought you were going with that.

Paolo305613

Hoopla Cash
$ 130.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jim Caldwell emerges as an OC candidate if/when Brian Flores is officially named Fins HC.

Again, nothing is official until its official - and I won't be all that made if Flores does get named HC(even though I wanted offensive minded HC) - But, if Flores is the guy, I think a guy like Caldwell is the most perfect match as OC and first of many offensive hires for the team.

For long enough, under Gase, he tried to make things for our offense like in too many other teams around the NFL where it was basically a big play or bust offensive scheme.

I think with Caldwell, whether its Tannehill, another veteran QB or even a younger QB, this team will get back to basics offensively. I think there would be a more methodical approach to the offense which isn't a bad thing even in 2019.

This is the one positive I see with Flores and any other defensive minded HC we could've hired -- they will value controlling the game by possessing the ball (as it should be).

Hopefully the Chiefs can take care of the Cheatriots and the refs quick enough next week to make Flores available to officially hire.

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that Jim Caldwell could be a good choice for OC. He has a lot of experience and I think he would prove to be helpful for Flores.

Brett Bielema is under consideration for a position also. He could be offered the DC job.

BigFin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Received a message from someone who is plugged in with the Patriots regarding Bret Bielema. “That would be huge addition for Miami. The guy knows everything.” Bielema almost became the Dolphins head coach instead of Philbin but Bielema insisted he would draft Russell Wilson. Bielema said he would draft Wilson in the 2nd round & guaranteed Miami a Super Bowl within 5 years. Jeff Ireland and the front office chastised him for thinking like that, saying that’s the difference between college and pros. Bielema quickly pulled himself out of the race.

- Matthew Cannata

Paolo305613

Hoopla Cash
$ 130.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that Jim Caldwell could be a good choice for OC. He has a lot of experience and I think he would prove to be helpful for Flores.

Brett Bielema is under consideration for a position also. He could be offered the DC job.

I have also read about the Bielema as DC talks. Flores will want to focus on the team as a whole, so him having Bielema as his DC would only strengthen the team/staff.

On a potentially bad note, even though Darren Rizzi has interviewed for the HC position -- it seems that he and the team agreed that he should seek other options due to Flores the likely choice at HC.

Again, for the sake of having a strong coaching staff -- I hope Rizzi stays around as assistant HC/Special Teams Coordinator.

The Dolphins are AT LEAST trying to get this right -- they are trying to build this thing starting with a strong staff in the front office and coaching staff -- and little things fall into place from there. This is how its done.

Again, nothing is official yet - but I am glad that the Fins have decided to go with some under-the-radar candidates to interview as opposed to doing what many here and outside wanted them/though they would do in going after the big name coaches.

Gase is/was a bigger diva than any player on the team in his time here -- the organization has noticed that and is going after coaches and front office people that not only preach the team concept but also practice it. We might still have to wait some time to see this organization get to where we want it - but they are certainly doing a better job at working towards getting there.

Paolo305613

Hoopla Cash
$ 130.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the crowd that cant stop talking about the QB position with the Fins - a name has emerged as a potential trade candidate to the Fins -- Nick Foles is rumored as a trade candidate to the Fins. The Fins have emerged as a leading candidate early in the process.

He would be a solid bridge guy if the Fins find a QB in the mid-to-late rounds of the draft. But, again -- I think we first need to focus on how the offensive coaching staff develops before we settle on the QB situation(if there is one).

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the crowd that cant stop talking about the QB position with the Fins - a name has emerged as a potential trade candidate to the Fins -- Nick Foles is rumored as a trade candidate to the Fins. The Fins have emerged as a leading candidate early in the process.

He would be a solid bridge guy if the Fins find a QB in the mid-to-late rounds of the draft. But, again -- I think we first need to focus on how the offensive coaching staff develops before we settle on the QB situation(if there is one).
Depending on price Foles wouldn't be bad he's in his prime. You have to give him the Philly offence though to have success which they could...

Paolo305613

Hoopla Cash
$ 130.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is a more realistic draft-eligible QB the Fins can pursue -- Daniel Jones out of Duke.

He's got the arm, size and athleticism you want out of a QB in todays NFL. He comes from an NFL-style offense under David Cutcliffe so learning a system shouldn't take this kid very long at all.

He's got 1st round talent, but I think we can find him in the second round as well.

If the Dolphins MUST go QB like some in here claim which I don't agree with -- Jones and Will Grier seem to be better fits for the Fins in terms of value -- Meaning I think we can address other needs in the first round and find either one of these guys in the second MAYBE third round.

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is a more realistic draft-eligible QB the Fins can pursue -- Daniel Jones out of Duke.

He's got the arm, size and athleticism you want out of a QB in todays NFL. He comes from an NFL-style offense under David Cutcliffe so learning a system shouldn't take this kid very long at all.

He's got 1st round talent, but I think we can find him in the second round as well.

If the Dolphins MUST go QB like some in here claim which I don't agree with -- Jones and Will Grier seem to be better fits for the Fins in terms of value -- Meaning I think we can address other needs in the first round and find either one of these guys in the second MAYBE third round.

I think Daniel Jones has potential. What concerns me is how many INTs (9) he got compared to his TDs (22)

Tyler Murray had 42 TDs with only 7 INTs.

It could have something to do with the offensive talent and Olines but I think the INTs for Jones could be a cause for concern. That said, Peyton Manning had a lot of INTs during his first year (28) in the NFL and we saw how that worked out. In his second year that number when down to 15 and the rest is history. Manning though had a lot more TDs in college than Jones.

Stidham for example had 18 TDs with 5 INTs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Paolo305613

Hoopla Cash
$ 130.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Daniel Jones has potential. What concerns me is how many INTs (9) he got compared to his TDs (22)

Tyler Murray had 42 TDs with only 7 INTs.

It could have something to do with the offensive talent and Olines but I think the INTs for Jones could be a cause for concern. That said, Peyton Manning had a lot of INTs during his first year (28) in the NFL and we saw how that worked out. In his second year that number when down to 15 and the rest is history. Manning though had a lot more TDs in college than Jones.

Stidham for example had 18 TDs with 5 INTs.

I would say the INT #s for Jones are more a product of the offensive scheme more than anything. If I am not mistaken, towards the season (including bowl game), Jones had a stretch of 2-3 games at end of season of multiple INTs - so the numbers ballooned a little bit then.

I think with him the INTs, like I said, are a product of the offensive scheme.

As for Stidham, I think he could be an option but more as a development-type guy. I think he will need to be a back-up for a few seasons before starting. I think Jones and Grier could start instantly if the Fins needed that.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say the INT #s for Jones are more a product of the offensive scheme more than anything. If I am not mistaken, towards the season (including bowl game), Jones had a stretch of 2-3 games at end of season of multiple INTs - so the numbers ballooned a little bit then.

I think with him the INTs, like I said, are a product of the offensive scheme.

As for Stidham, I think he could be an option but more as a development-type guy. I think he will need to be a back-up for a few seasons before starting. I think Jones and Grier could start instantly if the Fins needed that.
I've seen Jones in some mock drafts ...I would like him better in the second round though.

Paolo305613

Hoopla Cash
$ 130.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've seen Jones in some mock drafts ...I would like him better in the second round though.

Agreed. I think he is a first-round talent with better value as a second-rounder -- nothing against him -- I just say that based on what the strength of this draft is -- I think it pushes him as well as the other QBs to later rounds.

Paolo305613

Hoopla Cash
$ 130.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chad O'Shea, WR coach of the Cheatriots rumored to be a potential OC for the Dolphins - He has been thought of as the next OC of the Cheatriots as well in times where they thought McDaniels would leave for an HC job.

Jim Caldwell is still thought to be joining the staff but more so as a offensive advisor/assistant HC/assistant-offensive OC/QB coach - the Fins are clearly trying to strengthen their staff/team with quality young and experienced coaches.

The team and organization is trying to put together as strong a staff as possible. Great coaches and even better individuals. These guys won't have a problem putting their egos aside for the better of the team. These won't be guys who think they are bigger than the players or the organization as a whole.

For those of you going nuts about names to be drafted, take note of the guys being hired in front office and coaching roles -- this is the EXACT blueprint they will use to put together this roster - be it through the draft, trades, FA.