• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Message Board Braggin' Rights League

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They invested heavily in the OL this offseason. Solder and Hernandez in the draft. They still suck lol

I'll trade with them. 5 for 5.

Bandit

RIP to the real Bandit
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I don't know how many of you guys read the Matthew Berry love/hate article every week, but I always do mainly because I love his writing style even though I don't always agree with his analysis. Most likely he is way too long winded for you guys, but this week in his intro he wrote about getting a new league idea from somebody this year and it was something that he had never heard of before and in his case that's saying a lot. Anyway, here is the link to the article and it's called a vampire league. It sounds like it would be a lot of fun and the biggest problem we would have here is that all of us would want to be the vampire. LOL.

Matthew Berry's Love/Hate for Week 6

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I don't know how many of you guys read the Matthew Berry love/hate article every week, but I always do mainly because I love his writing style even though I don't always agree with his analysis. Most likely he is way too long winded for you guys, but this week in his intro he wrote about getting a new league idea from somebody this year and it was something that he had never heard of before and in his case that's saying a lot. Anyway, here is the link to the article and it's called a vampire league. It sounds like it would be a lot of fun and the biggest problem we would have here is that all of us would want to be the vampire. LOL.

For years, @The Foot has repeatedly asserted that others come to the Hoop, read our posts, to get their article ideas and quotes. Sounds eerily similar to what I posted on Sunday:

Maybe next year I'll just let the other 11 teams pick, then I'll draft my Suicide squad.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That does sound fun.

The vampire should be the person with the most MBBRL titles?

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For years, @The Foot has repeatedly asserted that others come to the Hoop, read our posts, to get their article ideas and quotes. Sounds eerily similar to what I posted on Sunday:

Maybe next year I'll just let the other 11 teams pick, then I'll draft my Suicide squad.

I actually did that back when we were all at CBS in a points based baseball league.

I drafted all minor league players who were not high level prospects, then cut them all and replaced them with the best FA players available after the draft. I wrote a weekly update about the process on the fantasy baseball boards. The purpose was to get people to understand just how terrible the default settings were in CBS at the time.

They had all 10 team leagues with a very small number of starting positions. My point was that the format was kind of a joke because of the super high quality of free agent players.

I ended up finishing 2nd, but I had the highest point total in the league.

leftypower

THE NFL HAS GONE TO HELL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That does sound fun.
The vampire should be the person with the most MBBRL titles?
Sure - let's give the advantage to the guy who least needs it !!!!!!!!

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure - let's give the advantage to the guy who least needs it !!!!!!!!

Do you think it really is an advantage though? I don't.

By the time the vampire grows strong enough to be a legit team, they may very well be out of playoff contention.

Because those first couple wins are really tough to come by.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did not read the whole article, but here is how I would suggest doing this if we wanted to try:

1) # of teams- for scheduling reasons, a 12 team league does not work. Because it is unfair for some teams to play the vampire more than once. That is why a 14 team league with a 13 week regular season would work best. No divisions, everyone plays everyone else once.

2) bench spots + IR- because there would be more teams, tight benches would be necessary to give the vampire a chance. I am thinking 4 bench spots. But, along with 4 bench spots each team gets 1 IR/inactive spot.

3) since there are 14 teams, why not go double vampire? The draft would play like a 12 teamer then the 2 vampire teams could stage their own mini draft with what's is left.

4) playoffs- have 2 go 6 teams in here. The vampires probably will be strong by season's end, so can't make it too easy to get to the playoffs, but 6 would give them a fair shot.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did not read the whole article, but here is how I would suggest doing this if we wanted to try:

1) # of teams- for scheduling reasons, a 12 team league does not work. Because it is unfair for some teams to play the vampire more than once. That is why a 14 team league with a 13 week regular season would work best. No divisions, everyone plays everyone else once.

2) bench spots + IR- because there would be more teams, tight benches would be necessary to give the vampire a chance. I am thinking 4 bench spots. But, along with 4 bench spots each team gets 1 IR/inactive spot.

3) since there are 14 teams, why not go double vampire? The draft would play like a 12 teamer then the 2 vampire teams could stage their own mini draft with what's is left.

4) playoffs- have 2 go 6 teams in here. The vampires probably will be strong by season's end, so can't make it too easy to get to the playoffs, but 6 would give them a fair shot.
If we do this I’m in.:smokin:

The Foot

Hoopla Cash
$ 824.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Thanks buddy. I really do believe it.

Bandit

RIP to the real Bandit
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm glad to hear that you guys thought it sounded just as much fun as I thought. Here were a few more of the rules from the website. The biggest thing it that there are no waiver pick ups allowed for all non-vampire teams and no trades allowed unless it's the vampire stealing a player after a win. I think it would bring very interesting strategy in as to whether you decide to play your best lineup and risk losing one of your best players or "hide" them on your bench so you can't lose them. Here's the rest of what I pulled from the article and tweaked it to match what Tlance decided. I get what you're saying about the 14 teams, but that might make it very difficult because since the other teams can't make waiver claims or trades they would need to have more than 4 on the bench in order to field a team each week. Honestly I think a 12 team league with an 6 person bench would be ideal. I like the idea of two vampires, so you could just have a standard 10 team draft and then have the 2 vampires pick from what's left. You could do the schedule two different ways: you could either have the teams that play against the vampire in weeks 1 and 2 play them in weeks 12 and 13 (since they would be getting an advantage playing against them in weeks 1 and 2 anyway and would be playing an entirely different team late in the season) or you could have the first 11 weeks where everybody plays against each other once and then in weeks 12 and 13 have the two vampire teams face off against each other and the rest of the league get random opponents. You could even make it more interesting those last two weeks of the regular season and make a rule that all of the winners in weeks 12 and 13 get to steal one of their opponents players or something like that. I don't know it just sounded like a lot of fun. If we do it next year, I think it the two Super Bowl Champions from this year in the A and B league should get first crack and being the vampires next year as I think that would be a fun incentive at the end of the year.

• The twelve drafting teams must play with the team they draft, meaning they could not make any waiver claims. Because of that, I asked them to think about whether they would want to draft two kickers, two defenses, two QBs, etc.

• • After they drafted, the vampires would go and build their teams from whomever was left. In addition,the vampire could make unlimited waiver claims during the season. The draft needs to be as close to the start of the season as possible, so that everyone had the best possible information heading into the season.

• • There are no trades allowed in the league, except if the Vampire beats a team. In that case, the vampire would initiate a trade of one of my players for a player on the team beaten. And there are rules around that: The player I trade for has to have been in my opponent's starting lineup. So, if you don't want to risk losing Todd Gurley II, you can bench him and not risk losing him. In turn, the player the vampire trades away also has to be in his starting lineup-- so the vampire can't use bench scrubs to trade for a star -- and play the same position. This way, I can't trade a kicker for a quarterback, for example.

• • Teams are NOT required to start a full lineup against the vampire. If they want to bench all of their stars to protect themselves, they can. Out of the 12-team league, six will make the playoffs with a bye going to the 1 and 2 seeds. Once we hit the playoffs, the six qualifying teams will be allowed to make waiver moves. If the vampires make the playoffs, they get the #1 and 2 spots in waivers each week. Otherwise, reverse order of standings prevails. I also like the idea that in the playoffs the #1 seed gets to vampire any one player from a non-playoff team with the same rules (they had to be in that other teams starting lineup the last week of the regular season) and then the #2 seed gets to do the same thing. Then in the first playoff games the teams that win also get to vampire any one player from the team they beat in the playoffs and that also gets to happen in the next round of the playoffs. By the time a team gets to the championship it should be a battle of true titans!!

Barilko

Probably at hockey or some dam concert you tell me
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't. If Eli had stuck to his first choice of colleges and gone to UVA we would never have heard of Matt Schaub and just maybe the Texans would have a real QB by now.

I am going to take some heat from the Watson lovers over that one
well im not quite a Wason lover yet however im a Watson's potential lover....with all that being said yes i would have loved to of had Eli all those years

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The no trade rule sounds a bit much. With byes and injuries your going to need a way to fill in. Can’t use the WW so I would think that trades would need to be possible. Otherwise the vampire team has such a hugh advantage its a mismatch as the season progresses and attrition sets in. Even with a 6 man bench you can’t fill all your starting spots on bye weeks adequately.
Just to have bye week fill in your bench would have to have a kicker, a defense, a tight end, a QB, a single RB and a single WR.
IDK how the vampire team could possibly lose under this set up of no trades.

Barilko

Probably at hockey or some dam concert you tell me
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well i already feel im in a vampire league playing you monsters every week :behindsofa:

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The no trade rule sounds a bit much. With byes and injuries your going to need a way to fill in. Can’t use the WW so I would think that trades would need to be possible. Otherwise the vampire team has such a hugh advantage its a mismatch as the season progresses and attrition sets in. Even with a 6 man bench you can’t fill all your starting spots on bye weeks adequately.
Just to have bye week fill in your bench would have to have a kicker, a defense, a tight end, a QB, a single RB and a single WR.
IDK how the vampire team could possibly lose under this set up of no trades.
Actually trades would be hard to pull off. Nobody is trading for Fournette for example, when they can't even use WW for a d or kicker.

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m definitely down. I always read Berry’s stuff

leftypower

THE NFL HAS GONE TO HELL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you think it really is an advantage though? I don't.
By the time the vampire grows strong enough to be a legit team, they may very well be out of playoff contention.
Because those first couple wins are really tough to come by.
Perhaps but I think you have a Midas touch and turn rocks to gold. ......