• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Memo To Fisher

zeke2829

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just find it funny you guys are ok with the excuses for Foles or any other QB BUT Sam had the same but worse teams by far as talent goes but you were so happy to see him leave.

pretty simple......how long was Sam on this team? vs....how long has Nick been on this team? I'm a firm believer that everyone deserves a chance! Sam wore out his welcome a long time ago!

zeke2829

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He had nothing to do with what the first overall pick was paid. And we owe Foles 14 million guaranteed. I wouldnt call that nothing. How stupid is Chip?? We have a $14 million back up quarterback.

just admit it Coug......All Sam was is an expensive flop! We've seen enough and Chip Kelley WILL get FIRED this year because of Bradford! BANK IT!

zeke2829

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
just admit it Coug......All Sam was is an expensive flop! We've seen enough and Chip Kelley WILL get FIRED this year because of Bradford! BANK IT!

that's not even correct Coug ole boy, Foles got 12 mill guaranteed!

Contract Details
Foles' contract calls for $12.02 million in fully guaranteed earnings. His $1.02 million 2015 base salary, $3 million signing bonus plus a $2 million 2015 roster bonus and $6 million 2016 roster bonus are all fully guaranteed. Foles can earn an additional $4.5 million in playing time/performance incentives and also has the option of voiding his contract in 2017 (again based on playing time and performance). If on the roster, Foles' $1.75 million 2016 base salary becomes fully guaranteed on the 5th day of the new league year (March 20, 2016).

Contract Analysis
The Rams structured Foles' deal with only the short-term in mind. It's structured in such a manner as to create very little in the way of salary cap pressures beyond next season. All but $1 million of the contracts' guaranteed monies will be accounted for against the salary cap by the end of 2016. This was accomplished by front-loading the guaranteed money and eschewing a large signing bonus in favor of yearly roster bonuses and a small signing/prorated bonus. This approach is part of a league-wide trend among cap-savvy teams:

The Rams prefer this pay-as-you-go approach to contract structuring. It's a sure-fire method of avoiding "cap hell" in future years. Roster bonuses afford the Rams flexibility in managing their salary cap. They can be converted to prorated bonuses if the Rams need to create additional salary cap space. Signing/prorated bonuses, once paid, can not be altered, and can create the dreaded words "dead money". When re-signing/extending veteran players, prorated bonuses are the equivalent of financing part of a used car purchase by credit card.

Options For The Rams & The Bottom Line
The Rams have many options to consider when assessing Nick Foles' future with the team. Those options run the gamut from releasing Foles in the next couple of weeks to keeping him right through the 2017 season (and longer) (and many options in between).

The Rams remaining committed to Foles at least through the 2016 season is the most probable scenario. The Rams are unlikely to contemplate releasing/trading him before then. It allows the team another whole season to assess the long-term viability of Foles as their starting quarterback. Foles' salary cap hit is relatively modest for 2016 ($8.75 million) and the Rams could part ways with him after next season, counting only $1 million in dead money on the books. It also buys time for the Rams, allowing them to further assess both Case Keenum and Sean Mannion and/or acquire another quarterback through the 2016 NFL Draft. Foles' low-risk contract isn't a bad one for the Rams, especially when compared to other QB contracts around the NFL.

On the other end of the spectrum, the Rams could release Foles in the next couple of weeks, hoping that another team will pick up the remainder of his contract and all guaranteed money obligations. Of course, the Rams lose a potential starting-caliber QB if he's claimed. If he's not claimed, the remainder of his guaranteed and prorated money ($8 million) accelerates onto this years salary cap as dead money. The Rams simply don't have the salary cap space to accommodate and/or risk such a transaction occurring.

If the Rams release Foles in 2016, the salary cap savings would be minimal ($750,000). Foles' 2016 salary cap hit would be eliminated ($8.75 million); however, $8 million in dead money would offset all but $750,000 of the salary cap savings.

The Rams could attempt to trade Foles after the season (the 2015 trade deadline has already passed), but before the $6 million roster bonus is paid (March 18, 2016). The salary cap savings for 2016 would be $6.75 million (Foles' $8.75 million salary cap hit less $2 million in dead money). A team wanting to trade for Foles would go in with the knowledge that his 2016 base salary ($1.75 million) and roster bonus ($6 million) would be fully guaranteed, which may not be attractive to certain teams.

Case Keenum could have something to say about how the Rams' QB situation transpires, especially if he exceeds expectations for the remainder of the season.

My suspicion is we'll be seeing Nick Foles in a Rams uniform at least until the end of the 2016 season, although nothing is a sure thing when it comes to the Rams and quarterbacks.

Last edited:

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem is... can Foles can play? Hes only playing now because Keenum has a concussion. So it's really like we traded Bradford for a 2nd rd pick. Hopefully Foles shows something this week because Keenum is still seeing stars.

Foles is doing about the same as what Sam Bradford would do Coug + we got some picks. 1 being a 2nd rounder. + we lost Sam's contract.

This Oline needs to learn how to pass block better. Hopefully they will. If G Rob doesn't come around with it soon, :L

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just find it funny you guys are ok with the excuses for Foles or any other QB BUT Sam had the same but worse teams by far as talent goes but you were so happy to see him leave.

Foles is no better than Sam. Sam is no better than Foles. I'm just tired of bitching about QBs Coug. The DIFFERENCE is the contract buddy and how we could add guys like Akeem Ayers and Nick Fairly, while having Foles.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

1 partial season vs 4 seasons. No injuries vs multiple injuries. Reasonable salary vs ridiculous salary.

When Foles can't stay healthy and handicaps the roster with his salary for multiple seasons, then we'll blast him like Sam.

That $14M for Foles isn't fully guaranteed either.

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If he gets fired it will have nothing to do with Bradford. He actually looks real smart for getting rid of Foles! It will be because he gutted so many all pros from the team. Including his two guards from the Oline... Bad move Chip when you have a pocket passer like Sam coming in. Not to mention His best WR Maclin and others.

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

he had 5 freakin' years Coug.

Foles has had half a season.

I find it quite ironic that you are still singing Bradford praises after 6 years of mediocrity, but are ready to label Foles as a backup QB after half a season with the Rams.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he gets fired it will have nothing to do with Bradford. He actually looks real smart for getting rid of Foles! It will be because he gutted so many all pros from the team. Including his two guards from the Oline... Bad move Chip when you have a pocket passer like Sam coming in. Not to mention His best WR Maclin and others.

I'm sure he looks brilliant for trading his starting QB, a second round pick and other draft considerations for an oft-injured, more expensive QB that is only under control for the rest of this season. That's worse than trading McCoy for Kiko. At least Kiko is under contract for another season (and as injury prone as Bradford).

Chip won games when he used the previous regime's players. As he has sculpted this team with his players, the team has struggled. The ego it takes to dump your All-Pro RB and two very talented WRs (among others) is impressive, but the results have been awful to this point.

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Foles is no better than Sam. Sam is no better than Foles. I'm just tired of bitching about QBs Coug. The DIFFERENCE is the contract buddy and how we could add guys like Akeem Ayers and Nick Fairly, while having Foles.

I see your point but those guys dont really help without a QB on the other side of the ball. You have to admit Sam never threw the ball that poorly like Foles. I believe Fisher did the trade knowing Foles wasn't as talented as a quarterback but they could not take a chance of Sam getting hurt again and going to a back up quarterback for another year. that would be coaching suicide. Foles had a better chance of staying healthy and they thought he would be an average quarterback to get the job done. The problem is he hasn't been average hes been really bad. so its backfired. I honestly don't blame Fisher I probably would've done the same thing too and like you said save a lot of money. Foles has been a big disappointment hopefully he can turn it around. If you go back to 13 when Foles had a great year he was throwing the ball down the middle of the field and killing defenses! But now defenses have taken the middle of the field away and he can't throw the ball to the sideline with accuracy. Which is a big problem.

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure he looks brilliant for trading his starting QB, a second round pick and other draft considerations for an oft-injured, more expensive QB that is only under control for the rest of this season. That's worse than trading McCoy for Kiko. At least Kiko is under contract for another season (and as injury prone as Bradford).

Chip won games when he used the previous regime's players. As he has sculpted this team with his players, the team has struggled. The ego it takes to dump your All-Pro RB and two very talented WRs (among others) is impressive, but the results have been awful to this point.

I pretty much agree with that shop. His moves haven't worked out but Sam hasn't played that bad. Certainly average coming to a new team. But Chip knew Foles wasn't the guy. That's why he traded him. He had to give up the 2nd rd pick or the Rams wouldn't have done it. I think you guys put too much on the money thing if you're going to have a good quarterback you're going to have to pay for it. No of course he didn't play up to his contract but if he would've had a decent year this year the Rams could have gave him a Foles like contract. They just couldnt take a chance of him getting hurt again and playing with a backup quarterback.

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he had 5 freakin' years Coug.

Foles has had half a season.

I find it quite ironic that you are still singing Bradford praises after 6 years of mediocrity, but are ready to label Foles as a backup QB after half a season with the Rams.

Well it's not A label he got benched. Sam never did. And yes he had six years but on very crappy teams. Who would've succeeded at quarterback on those teams? Brady and Rogers are about the only people I can think of.

zeke2829

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Heck Coug don't take my word for it, listen to what Eagle fans are saying:
Starting Over Plan | SportsHoopla Sports Forums

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And rumors broke today that the Rams have great interest in Johnny Manziel. So it seems the Rams have seen enough of Foles. Which is pretty crazy. I think I would trade a third round pick next year for him if the Browns would do it.

zeke2829

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And rumors broke today that the Rams have great interest in Johnny Manziel. So it seems the Rams have seen enough of Foles. Which is pretty crazy. I think I would trade a third round pick next year for him if the Browns would do it.

Foles is under contract, will Sam be??

zeke2829

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Link??

zeke2829

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Philly fans are dumber than dirt... I don't even have to read that.

what's the matter, don't you want to see how popular your man child is in Philly?

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Foles is under contract, will Sam be??

Yes Foles is under contract.... That's the problem. We can't cut him next year without taking a huge cap hit. and it might be the worst thing Fisher has done. Sam will get a contract next year for sure.