• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Melky Suspended

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with most of the sentiment here, but the bolded just ain't gonna happen.
And if it does, I wouldn't be surprised if they left Melky off the roster in favor of whomever we replaced him with that got us there.

No facts necessary for predictions. Whoever replaces Melky won't be the player that gets the Giants to the NLCS, anyway. Enjoy brooding over games that you've already decided are meaningless.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Any chance if Belt continues to rake they give him some time in Left? Might not be the best defensive situation, but they would be able to mix and match some lineups with Sanchez behind the plate and Posey at first, and Scutaro at 3B and Pablo at 1st.

It might happen at some point, but I think that is far down the list of options, mostly for the reason you give, i.e. the defense really takes a hit.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No facts necessary for predictions. Whoever replaces Melky won't be the player that gets the Giants to the NLCS, anyway. Enjoy brooding over games that you've already decided are meaningless.

Quite the contrary, I brood less when I feel the team is fatally flawed.

And all games are meaningless, they are GAMES.

iHATEdodgers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It might happen at some point, but I think that is far down the list of options, mostly for the reason you give, i.e. the defense really takes a hit.

Yeah Boch said moving Belt to LF is not an option they are high on - he did say though it hasn't been ruled out completely. The two names he mentioned were Blanco and Scutaro actually.

Personally I would think Pill will get some time out there.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
You're so much of a realist that I don't know how you can enjoy sports at all.

You'd think he'd be concerned, since every time the Giants achieve a dramatic win he gets laid.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're so much of a realist that I don't know how you can enjoy sports at all.

We all have different levels of passion. Mine certainly got less intense and 'life or death' when I had kids.

But I'm here every day, checking box scores every day, watching games and going to games when I can. It's a hobby, it's fun, it's a diversion. But for me, it's not life or death anymore. YMMV.

:peace2:

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You'd think he'd be concerned, since every time the Giants achieve a dramatic win he gets laid.

Man, I WISH it were every time.

:squeeze:

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We all have different levels of passion. Mine certainly got less intense and 'life or death' when I had kids.

But I'm here every day, checking box scores every day, watching games and going to games when I can. It's a hobby, it's fun, it's a diversion. But for me, it's not life or death anymore. YMMV.

:peace2:

Oh, I agree that it isn't life or death. It never should be (even for people without kids), but when you're so certain of outcomes, what is the point of watching the games? Solely, looking for the next Brooks Conrad situation? Sounds awful.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, I agree that it isn't life or death. It never should be (even for people without kids), but when you're so certain of outcomes, what is the point of watching the games? Solely, looking for the next Brooks Conrad situation? Sounds awful.

I guess I gave the impression I was certain, which was a mistake. I'm not at all certain we're going to miss the playoffs, any more than I was certain we'd make them before. I just feel that this team had just enough and now they don't.

And it's not just Melky. Timmy's last start means we have to worry that First Half Tim is back, and that's about as bad as losing Melky.

In my mind we go from 65% chance to win the division to maybe 30%. Still a very good shot. A lot can happen, injuries to Dodgers, Timmy continuing to improve (he's not going to be perfect), maybe Belt basically covers most of Melky's production. In 2010 we squeaked in and pitching gave us a ring, same thing could easily happen.

I suppose I should have said the bolded part of your post was unlikely, not impossible.

Nothing awful here, still having fun with a nice pennant race vs our rival, when was the last time we had one of those?

iHATEdodgers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Christian and Hacker up.

Blech. Christian really is tearing it up in AAA too bad he's just an AAAA player. I wonder if maybe they couldnt bring Pill back so soon after just sending him down?

Hacker? Yeah sure I guess whatever.

They are going to hope Blanco can remember how to hit after 3 months of not being able to. The waiver wire must be a wasteland.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Blech. Christian really is tearing it up in AAA too bad he's just an AAAA player. I wonder if maybe they couldnt bring Pill back so soon after just sending him down?

Hacker? Yeah sure I guess whatever.

They are going to hope Blanco can remember how to hit after 3 months of not being able to. The waiver wire must be a wasteland.

Problem is anyone good we'd want off waivers either doesn't want to come here (Soriano) or would get blocked by someone in the American League or below us (Ross?)

iHATEdodgers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Problem is anyone good we'd want off waivers either doesn't want to come here (Soriano) or would get blocked by someone in the American League or below us (Ross?)

Yeah I didn't really expect anything... It would be awesome to snag Ross again for obvious reasons. Not likely. But I can't say I'm expecting much from Blanco besides great D His bat has just disappeared almost completely. Maybe he can dig down deep and hit .225. Crap.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I gave the impression I was certain, which was a mistake. I'm not at all certain we're going to miss the playoffs, any more than I was certain we'd make them before. I just feel that this team had just enough and now they don't.

And it's not just Melky. Timmy's last start means we have to worry that First Half Tim is back, and that's about as bad as losing Melky.

In my mind we go from 65% chance to win the division to maybe 30%. Still a very good shot. A lot can happen, injuries to Dodgers, Timmy continuing to improve (he's not going to be perfect), maybe Belt basically covers most of Melky's production. In 2010 we squeaked in and pitching gave us a ring, same thing could easily happen.

I suppose I should have said the bolded part of your post was unlikely, not impossible.

Nothing awful here, still having fun with a nice pennant race vs our rival, when was the last time we had one of those?

Agreed. And, for my part, "See you in the NLCS, Melky" was a hopeful closing, not a decree. Rooting can certainly be fun while maintaining 30% certainty in a division title. :)

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. And, for my part, "See you in the NLCS, Melky" was a hopeful closing, not a decree. Rooting can certainly be fun while maintaining 30% certainty in a division title. :)

:cheer2:

:grouphug:

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they don't pick up a real LF on waivers, Belt might see a game a week in left yes, on Posey rest days.

And if they plan going this route on any kind of consistency, then they will need to place a 3rd catcher on the roster.