• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Melky Suspended

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hypothetical time.

Would you offer Melky a 3 year, $22.5M contract in the offseason??? Would he take it??? Would you make an offer at all (if yes, and different than mine, what would you offer)?

In your opinions, would the Giants locker room want him back?

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hypothetical time.

Would you offer Melky a 3 year, $22.5M contract in the offseason??? Would he take it??? Would you make an offer at all (if yes, and different than mine, what would you offer)?

I think with the Bonds saga finally concluding, the Giants probably felt as if they had distanced themselves a bit from the Steroid/Balco controversies. I can't really imagine a scenario where they would bring him back, especially after he openly admitted to using substances he knew to be performance enhancing.

iHATEdodgers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My initial thoughts are iHATEmelky. So fuck that guy I don't want him back at any price. I'm tired of all this roid BS, and his dumbassholery has quite possibly ruined what was a very promising season.

When they first signed him I thought they were pulling a Rowand and getting a dude coming off a career year. Turns out worse. Before he was juicing he was very average - I don't think you take a risk based on that alone. You want to sign a guy coming down off roids who was only averaging 8 hr with what a .710 ops in the 5 years before he started roiding? I don't based on that alone.

Throw in the tarnish and dumbassholery and that's an emphatic HELLS NO from me. Melky you're a dick go get rich somewheres else. Butthole. :becky:

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hypothetical time.

This is what has been going through my mind today, but I was not going to post anything about it until tomorrow. Let it digest for a bit first...

But since you want to :ss:, I will play along...

Dude burnt his bridges with the Spanx, Braves and KC. He was loved in SF while batting .350. If he was not batting .350, I suspect we would have heard a few stories of his ass-hatted-ness.

Giants are hip-deep in a pennant race, and he leaves the club (granted, not necessarily by his choice) in the mid of it. I SERIOUSLY doubt he would be welcomed back by the clubhouse.

The G's org is still having trouble embracing Teh Lord, and he was Teh Lord BEFORE the juice. Melky was a washout before the juice.

Remember how the G's treated Guillen?

Melky has played his last game as a Giant.

Holy shit! Who would have thought THAT line would have been said today when we woke up this morning?

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Hypothetical time.

Leave it John Shea to make this a Giants issue. He asked Bruce Bochy why "half the players suspended this year have been Giants".

Yes, I'd try to sign Melky. I'd go at least two with a club option for a third and a good bump up on that third year. Good way for Melky to get some security and show his performance was not entirely steroid based. And he'll be young enough to get another long-term contract. As for the dollars involved, I'd try to determine market value for his stats and then start discounting from there - off the top of my head I think a 20% discount sounds good.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta say, the Nady signing makes a bit more sense now...

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also makes Sabes comment about a week ago that it was possible that Browny would get a look this season more meaningful...

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey, guys, Melky wasn't nabbed for steroids - he tested positive for testosterone. (Which does raise the possibility that he was using HGH as well, as the two taken together give a better "bump" than either alone, and HGH testing is NOT done during the season.)

But he didn't get caught doing 'roids.

iHATEdodgers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey, guys, Melky wasn't nabbed for steroids - he tested positive for testosterone. (Which does raise the possibility that he was using HGH as well, as the two taken together give a better "bump" than either alone, and HGH testing is NOT done during the season.)

Anabolic steroids are converted into testosterone in the body and produce the same effects... So in essence he was just cutting out the whole "processing the steroids into testosterone part" by injecting testosterone straight. He's a purist who knew?

ColinCoby

"Duff Man…Oh Yeah!"
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,351.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My initial thoughts are iHATEmelky. So fuck that guy I don't want him back at any price. I'm tired of all this roid BS, and his dumbassholery has quite possibly ruined what was a very promising season.

When they first signed him I thought they were pulling a Rowand and getting a dude coming off a career year. Turns out worse. Before he was juicing he was very average - I don't think you take a risk based on that alone. You want to sign a guy coming down off roids who was only averaging 8 hr with what a .710 ops in the 5 years before he started roiding? I don't based on that alone.

Throw in the tarnish and dumbassholery and that's an emphatic HELLS NO from me. Melky you're a dick go get rich somewheres else. Butthole. :becky:

This is what has been going through my mind today, but I was not going to post anything about it until tomorrow. Let it digest for a bit first...

But since you want to :ss:, I will play along...

Dude burnt his bridges with the Spanx, Braves and KC. He was loved in SF while batting .350. If he was not batting .350, I suspect we would have heard a few stories of his ass-hatted-ness.

Giants are hip-deep in a pennant race, and he leaves the club (granted, not necessarily by his choice) in the mid of it. I SERIOUSLY doubt he would be welcomed back by the clubhouse.

The G's org is still having trouble embracing Teh Lord, and he was Teh Lord BEFORE the juice. Melky was a washout before the juice.

Remember how the G's treated Guillen?

Melky has played his last game as a Giant.

Holy shit! Who would have thought THAT line would have been said today when we woke up this morning?

Great points in both posts. And ihate: thanks for throwing out all the anger and bile I have in me but didn't have the guts to vent.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Anabolic steroids are converted into testosterone in the body and produce the same effects... So in essence he was just cutting out the whole "processing the steroids into testosterone part" by injecting testosterone straight. He's a purist who knew?

You're thinking of some pro-hormones I think. There are plenty of steroids, most in fact, that are anabolic on their own without conversion. In fact, that lack of conversion is usually a desired property, as any conversion to testosterone will guarantee subsequent conversions into compounds like estrogen and DHT with the result being undesirable effects like hairloss and breast growth in males. And just to be clear, this isn't to say that compounds like nandrolone are without side-effects.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

I'm going to assume you have tongue firmly planted in cheek here.

iHATEdodgers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're thinking of some pro-hormones I think. There are plenty of steroids, most in fact, that are anabolic on their own without conversion. In fact, that lack of conversion is usually a desired property, as any conversion to testosterone will guarantee subsequent conversions into compounds like estrogen and DHT with the result being undesirable effects like hairloss and breast growth in males. And just to be clear, this isn't to say that compounds like nandrolone are without side-effects.

I hear ya there's all kind of stuff out there and they don't all fit into one sack :think: however I think that synthetic testosterone IS the original anabolic steroid... I'm no scientist and I haven't spent a lot of time with many scrotums - in fact really just Ole Betsy right here... I mean Big Two-Ton Jimmy Jack right here :eek2: machine guns tits and beer! :peep: (whew close call)

Er, anyway one definition of testosterone: a potent steroid hormone secreted mainly by the testes. It can be extracted from the testes of animals or synthesized and used to treat androgen deficiency or promote anabolism.

So I mean to me roids is roids call it what you want I guess? Yes? No? Anyway I don't think it's inaccurate to say Melky (may my memory of his .350 rest in peace) was roiding. But I got a C+ in chemistry and I'm trypanophobic so what the hell do I know? Ah yes, I do know that Melky as a Giant is dead to me.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
#3 really hurts. Was all set to compare them to Bonds/Burks/Kent/Aurilia of 2000, or Bonds/Williams/Clark/Thompson of 1993.

I had a nice post referring to just this last night, how it could be one of the deepest Giants lineups ever....

but I deleted it so I could save it for a better time. Guess that wont be coming around.

iHATEdodgers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great points in both posts. And ihate: thanks for throwing out all the anger and bile I have in me but didn't have the guts to vent.

:yo: Ha you shoulda heard me earlier today. I definitely had even more anger and bile - unrecorded here - about noon today. I believe I uttered a word that I shan't utter here (it started with "mother" and ended with "fucker" do the math :think:) which was quickly followed by animal noises and devolved into more swearing head smacks and angry mutterings.

At least I was human at the outset! Honestly I think disillusion and disappointment were the pervading feelings of the day. But I hope that's the last we see of Melky as a Giant. iHATEroids

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Giants getting Pence was a direct relation to the rumors. Giants had no clue if it was true or not, but they knew if it was true they'd need someone.

Before I can make any sort of opinion on if the Giants may resign him, I want to hear their official statement. But I can say, it seems like Buster Posey isn't to thrilled about it and he's the heart and soul of the offense. If I were make my initial reaction, I think he's coming back, but I really don't know. The Giants don't take much shit anymore.

iHATEdodgers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm really not surprised by this. The past two seasons Melky's numbers have skyrocketed.

Yeah maybe, he went from .752 ops in 09 to an off year in 10 to a .809 in 11... I wouldn't call that skyrocketing. Even this year .906 is great but not ungodly and his HR numbers aren't indicative of anything fishy if you ask me.

It's not like Brady Anderson or - and I'm not trying to start anything here - but even Mike Trout, dude has hit as many HR this year as he hit in 4 seasons in the minors (could be he's just that good and he hits in a sandbox) but that kind of stuff sticks out to me... Melky hitting it in the gap and down the line didn't smack of anything suspicious to me. It was surprising and amazing to see him at .350 at this point in the season, but I wasnt thinking roids to be honest. I may just be a homer!

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the immediate future, whats going to happen? Christian is a AAAA player, Nady can throw (literally, he can't), Kieschnick is out for the year, Peggy has a sub-.700 OPS, Dominguez is out, Brown is in AA and Giants don't want to rush him.....