• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Melky Suspended

iHATEdodgers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the immediate future, whats going to happen? Christian is a AAAA player, Nady can throw (literally, he can't), Kieschnick is out for the year, Peggy has a sub-.700 OPS, Dominguez is out, Brown is in AA and Giants don't want to rush him.....

Todd Linden baby WOOT!

Edit: I could see it actually - but I think Pill is coming back for sure.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I hear ya there's all kind of stuff out there and they don't all fit into one sack :think: however I think that synthetic testosterone IS the original anabolic steroid... I'm no scientist and I haven't spent a lot of time with many scrotums - in fact really just Ole Betsy right here... I mean Big Two-Ton Jimmy Jack right here :eek2: machine guns tits and beer! :peep: (whew close call)

Er, anyway one definition of testosterone: a potent steroid hormone secreted mainly by the testes. It can be extracted from the testes of animals or synthesized and used to treat androgen deficiency or promote anabolism.

So I mean to me roids is roids call it what you want I guess? Yes? No? Anyway I don't think it's inaccurate to say Melky (may my memory of his .350 rest in peace) was roiding. But I got a C+ in chemistry and I'm trypanophobic so what the hell do I know? Ah yes, I do know that Melky as a Giant is dead to me.

Yeah, synthetic or not, testosterone is, by definition, a steroid. So the thrust of your posts have been accurate. IMO. And even though I have three semesters of chemistry in my distant past, none were in organic chemistry, so I'm no expert. My framework for understanding steroids was laid down from being in gyms since I was a teenager - supplemented by non-academic practical research.

iHATEdodgers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giants will be scoping the waiver wire

I hope they aren't serious about Soriano.

Boch was talking up Blanco "We have a pretty good player here who did a lot to get this club going," Bochy said, referring to Blanco. "I know he's had his struggles the last three weeks or whatever. He's lost some playing time with Pence getting here, but he's a catalyst-type player. ... Hopefully Gregor takes advantage of the playing time he's going to get."

Geezus Boch!! Try 3 months :L.

I hope they aren't even thinking of Nady... The Giants recently signed veteran outfielder Xavier Nady to a Minor League contract, but he's hitting only .138 (4-for-29) at Fresno.

Linden is sporting a .816 ops in Fresno :noidea: I'm just sayin.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
628x471.jpg

Brandy Gibb, of Walnut Creek, wears her "spoiled Melky" t-shirt as she gets some beers as the San Francisco Giants played the Washington Nationals at AT&T Park in San Francisco, Calif., on Wednesday, August 15, 2012. MLB announced the suspension of Melky Cabrera earlier in the day, leaving the Giants without one of their best offensive players and the Giants lost to the Nationals 6-4.
Photo: Carlos Avila Gonzalez, The Chronicle / SF

iHATEdodgers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pill's coming back, but they sent Otero down so they are bringing up 2 hitters.

Right so Pill + someone else... I hope it's not Christian, but I wouldn't be shocked if it was, I'd rather try Linden unless that is he's still a cocky bastard - can you imagine that? Ha.

My guess though Pill and Christian. Nothing shocking.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Although steroids and/or testosterone/HGH can make you stronger, that is not the way it truly helps most athletes. It is the recovery time in between performances that separate it from what the body can truly do. If I pitched 9 innings last night and I'm juicing, my recovery time is sped up and my ability to play at a top level consistently becomes the attraction. It's not like Melky was hitting McGuire/Sosa 450 ft bombs all of the sudden. But his ability to come to work day in and day out and consistently produce what has been the biggest change in his game over the past couple years. Hell, he only hit 18 HRs last season and that was a career year. So it's not like he instantly became Ryan Braun....err, too soon?

If the clubhouse would want him back, I would offer a low-ball offer of 2-yr/12 mil with a club option for a 3rd yr at 10 mil. If he doesn't want that, then let him walk and let some other team gamble with his ability to produce post-testosterone.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is just going to take a long time to get over, think of how much us as fans rooted for this guy and how much we emotionally invested into him only to have it rip out our hearts and kick us in the nuts to boot. It's not like it was Gregor Blanco who tested, this changes an organization emotionally. And it would only get worse if we miss out on the postseason. I know we all know this but.

A World Series victory may be the only thing that fixes the pain.... And we need our pitching more than ever. We need Tim September/October 2010 back.

Last edited by a moderator:

MrChangoT97

Dr. Pepper is the bomb
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you think Cabrera jerseys will be discounted now? :think:

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Although steroids and/or testosterone/HGH can make you stronger, that is not the way it truly helps most athletes. It is the recovery time in between performances that separate it from what the body can truly do.

But perhaps more importantly for those using PED's, it is the recovery time between grueling workouts and weight sessions. The PED's allow for a much faster healing of the micro-torn muscle fibers caused by the workouts, and allow for muscles to be developed much more quickly.

http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/athletic-drug-test2.htm

Last edited by a moderator:

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What may concern me even more than Melky, however, was the performance of Timmy.

He had a chance to make a statement, to be a stopper and a leader, to say "the buck stops here". And he did not deliver.

I don't want to judge him by one game, but he could have done a lot to maintain his future value by coming up with a big game, and he didn't. In what could be argued as the biggest game of the season to date, he pitched 4 innings.

Hopefully, this is the bottom for us, and we find a way to rally. We still have a good core for the lineup (Buster, Panda, and Pence), and Belt and Craw are picking it up. And the pitching is still the same - but Timmy needs to keep turning it around.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any chance if Belt continues to rake they give him some time in Left? Might not be the best defensive situation, but they would be able to mix and match some lineups with Sanchez behind the plate and Posey at first, and Scutaro at 3B and Pablo at 1st.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll type the same thing here that I have been spouting to my friends whose parents don't know how to raise children correctly and somehow allowed their offspring to be Dodger fans. I have had a lot of bad August 15ths as a Giants fan, and since half of them were spent with SF in third or lower and one of them didn't even have baseball, I'd say yesterday doesn't even crack the "Top" 10. Days like that in mid-August are what make the victories in late September and October that much sweeter.

As far as the "Melky is dead to me" nonsense, you're entitled to your opinion, but keep in mind that there are very few professional athletes that haven't done a cycle at some point in their lives. Limiting recovery time between workouts has gotten players college scholarships, a spot on a team and, in some cases, millions of dollars. Yes, it was pretty selfish to risk the team's playoff chances, but people are selfish, and I am not one to judge another man's shot at an 8-figure pay-day. Plus, that is something he has to deal with when he talks to his teammates. He owes us nothing. Did I laugh at Ryan Braun earlier this year? Sure, but I understand why he did it, and that shifty fucker even gamed the system. I guess the old saying remains true. I attribute it to Ty Cobb solely because I think it fits history's perception of his personality the best. "If you ain't cheatin', you ain't tryin'." That's a sad reality, and a stupid saying, but to write off any player looking for an edge seems a little shortsighted. See you in the NLCS, Melky.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll type the same thing here that I have been spouting to my friends whose parents don't know how to raise children correctly and somehow allowed their offspring to be Dodger fans. I have had a lot of bad August 15ths as a Giants fan, and since half of them were spent with SF in third or lower and one of them didn't even have baseball, I'd say yesterday doesn't even crack the "Top" 10. Days like that in mid-August are what make the victories in late September and October that much sweeter.

As far as the "Melky is dead to me" nonsense, you're entitled to your opinion, but keep in mind that there are very few professional athletes that haven't done a cycle at some point in their lives. Limiting recovery time between workouts has gotten players college scholarships, a spot on a team and, in some cases, millions of dollars. Yes, it was pretty selfish to risk the team's playoff chances, but people are selfish, and I am not one to judge another man's shot at an 8-figure pay-day. Plus, that is something he has to deal with when he talks to his teammates. He owes us nothing. Did I laugh at Ryan Braun earlier this year? Sure, but I understand why he did it, and that shifty fucker even gamed the system. I guess the old saying remains true. I attribute it to Ty Cobb solely because I think it fits history's perception of his personality the best. "If you ain't cheatin', you ain't tryin'." That's a sad reality, and a stupid saying, but to write off any player looking for an edge seems a little shortsighted. See you in the NLCS, Melky.

I agree with most of the sentiment here, but the bolded just ain't gonna happen.
And if it does, I wouldn't be surprised if they left Melky off the roster in favor of whomever we replaced him with that got us there.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any chance if Belt continues to rake they give him some time in Left? Might not be the best defensive situation, but they would be able to mix and match some lineups with Sanchez behind the plate and Posey at first, and Scutaro at 3B and Pablo at 1st.

If they don't pick up a real LF on waivers, Belt might see a game a week in left yes, on Posey rest days.