• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Melky Suspended

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And if they plan going this route on any kind of consistency, then they will need to place a 3rd catcher on the roster.

How is it different from before when Chez caught and Posey played 1B and Belt sat? We didn't have a third catcher then, Panda was/is the emergency guy.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How is it different from before when Chez caught and Posey played 1B and Belt sat? We didn't have a third catcher then, Panda was/is the emergency guy.

Consistency <> occasional

Also, Panda is not a viable option now with his hammy issues.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Consistency <> occasional

Also, Panda is not a viable option now with his hammy issues.

I can't really see the difference, it was always 'occaisonal' that Posey would start at 1B, and we didn't carry 3 catchers.

The Panda hammy thing is a factor sure, but I don't think they will waste a roster spot on Whiteside until rosters expand. So we're talking 2 weeks.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't really see the difference, it was always 'occaisonal' that Posey would start at 1B, and we didn't carry 3 catchers.

The Panda hammy thing is a factor sure, but I don't think they will waste a roster spot on Whiteside until rosters expand. So we're talking 2 weeks.

End of discussion

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quite the contrary, I brood less when I feel the team is fatally flawed.

And all games are meaningless, they are GAMES.

I wonder if the 2010 msgkings felt that winning a few games in november were meaningless, too

Of course, this game doesnt take precedence of the important things in life: family, friends, heath, etc..but in the context of a "hobby", that celebration and joy and relief felt very real to me

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if the 2010 msgkings felt that winning a few games in november were meaningless, too

Of course, this game doesnt take precedence of the important things in life: family, friends, heath, etc..but in the context of a "hobby", that celebration and joy and relief felt very real to me

:love: I concur. Some go God, country, family, but family, friends and Heath are understandable priorities, too. ;)

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I didn't realize that you and Heath were so close. He is a good dude though. :D

Sorry, I need to divert my attention from damn Melky.

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:love: I concur. Some go God, country, family, but family, friends and Heath are understandable priorities, too. ;)

haha damn old iphone.. You're important, too, buddy

I omitted the God and Country part to spare us those discussions

Last edited by a moderator:
Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Don't sell yourself so short, Heath. You are head and shoulders above some family members, and many friends.

As to God and country, it depends which God and which country. :boxing:

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It sucks right now, but after thinking about it, it's for the best that he got busted right now. The Giants still have an opportunity, however limited the options are, to add to the roster. Also, imagine if we were to win the World Series and then Melky got busted afterwards. We don't want that taint. Finally, what if the Giants had re-signed Melky to a huge contract, then he stops using his PEDs because he feels secure and he goes back to being an ordinary ballplayer. The Giants would be paying something like $15 million/year for 6 years for an average player.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did anyone see what was said on Around the Horn earlier today? Michael Smith thinks the Giants should be docked 5 games because Cabrera tested positive. I honestly wouldn't mind seeing teams punished for something like this. The Giants wouldn't be where they are without Cabrera in the lineup that's for sure.

OzzieGiant

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Did anyone see what was said on Around the Horn earlier today? Michael Smith thinks the Giants should be docked 5 games because Cabrera tested positive. I honestly wouldn't mind seeing teams punished for something like this. The Giants wouldn't be where they are without Cabrera in the lineup that's for sure.

I kinda agree maybe something in line with is WAR would be fair - I really want the Giants to play well and win for the remainder of the season and set up next year - but making the playoffs without punishment for Melky's contribution would not sit well with me.

This really has f##$ed my August and September!!!

mistgl

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

In that case, the Yankees should forfeit any play off wins while Aroid was on the team, AND games equal to his WAR every season pre confession. Michael Smith is a moron who should stick to covering the NFL.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I kinda agree maybe something in line with is WAR would be fair - I really want the Giants to play well and win for the remainder of the season and set up next year - but making the playoffs without punishment for Melky's contribution would not sit well with me.

Would be a tough system to implement. If you took 5 wins off the Giants, would you then give those 5 wins to other teams? I suppose you could also have the Giants forfeit every game that Melky played and award the wins to the opposing teams.

Selig would never do this, of course, but if the league were to ever go to such a system, I would hope that they adopt a much tougher drug policy. The the deterrent for players wanting to take drugs needs to very strong so that the chances of the above punishments being levied on the team is minimized. Also, the system needs to strive to catch everyone doing drugs. It seems highly doubtful that only 4 Major League players are/were using PEDs this year.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any chance if Belt continues to rake they give him some time in Left? Might not be the best defensive situation, but they would be able to mix and match some lineups with Sanchez behind the plate and Posey at first, and Scutaro at 3B and Pablo at 1st.

My problem with this would be that you then have 3 players playing out of position. As long as Scutaro/Pill aren't atrocious in LF, I'd rather just sacrifice defense at 1 position, then put 3 players out of their comfort zone.

That's a really dumb idea. How do you divy up the games won for the other teams? Do you just go to Melky's top 5 games as a Giant and give the wins to those teams? How do you justify one game being better than the other if they are really close? etc. Too subjective of an opinion to make a rational one. Your first problem is listening to Michael Smith, the guy is a moron. I don't mind if punishments are handed down to the Giants or any team that has a player fail, but it would have to be a monetary fine or a draft pick fine.

Well, don't be too disappointed, every single team that the Giants have played this season have had guys on testosterone too. Also, hypothetically speaking, what if the Giants were to win the Division by more games than Melky's/Mota's WAR?

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the league should give us back the 0.1 wins that Mota caused us according to his WAR.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If that were in the rules, absolutely. But how would that be applied evenly? What about a player who gets caught in the off-season?

Basically, not a bad brainstorm idea for moving forward, but it certainly cannot be applied retroactively...

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My problem with this would be that you then have 3 players playing out of position. As long as Scutaro/Pill aren't atrocious in LF, I'd rather just sacrifice defense at 1 position, then put 3 players out of their comfort zone.

That's a really dumb idea. How do you divy up the games won for the other teams? Do you just go to Melky's top 5 games as a Giant and give the wins to those teams? How do you justify one game being better than the other if they are really close? etc. Too subjective of an opinion to make a rational one. Your first problem is listening to Michael Smith, the guy is a moron. I don't mind if punishments are handed down to the Giants or any team that has a player fail, but it would have to be a monetary fine or a draft pick fine.

Well, don't be too disappointed, every single team that the Giants have played this season have had guys on testosterone too. Also, hypothetically speaking, what if the Giants were to win the Division by more games than Melky's/Mota's WAR?

With MLB's drug testing policy being so weak, Melky's probably kicking himself that he got caught while so many other players using PEDs go on playing. This is a league wide problem. Both the owners and the players union are to blame. Baseball needs to get serious about this. They don't even test for HGH.