• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Melky Suspended

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If that were in the rules, absolutely. But how would that be applied evenly? What about a player who gets caught in the off-season?

Basically, not a bad brainstorm idea for moving forward, but it certainly cannot be applied retroactively...

Punishing a team by taking away wins would be totally unworkable right now. It would also be unprecedented an unfair. We would need much stronger rules so that getting busted and having the team punished isn't just a random luck of the draw thing. There's got to be many more players involved in PED use this year than the 4 who have been busted.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With MLB's drug testing policy being so weak, Melky's probably kicking himself that he got caught while so many other players using PEDs go on playing. This is a league wide problem. Both the owners and the players union are to blame. Baseball needs to get serious about this. They don't even test for HGH.

Well, they do, they just do it it a half-assed fashion. It's new this year - Spring Training was the first time HGH testing was implemented. But the new agreement is that they won't test for HGH *during* the season, only during the off-season (which is a fucking joke). (The player's don't want to be tested in-season because it's a blood test. Yeah, right.)

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the league should give us back the 0.1 wins that Mota caused us according to his WAR.

lol lets give Huff some testosterone and get busted..we'd have the division lead

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did anyone see what was said on Around the Horn earlier today? Michael Smith thinks the Giants should be docked 5 games because Cabrera tested positive. I honestly wouldn't mind seeing teams punished for something like this. The Giants wouldn't be where they are without Cabrera in the lineup that's for sure.

That is a fucking joke, you can't punish the team further than taking the player out of the lineup. The Giants are already punished for losing Cabrera's bat in their lineup and you think they should be punished more by taking away the win's he's accounted for? It was a mistake by Cabrera and him alone, not the Giants.

iHATEdodgers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just listened to a JT Snow interview, good interview he was very forthcoming.

He says his gut feeling is Melky is done as a Giant.
He says he doesn't think there's anyone in the minors who can help - wouldn't be fair to bring up Gary Brown.
He says he doesn't think Blanco is an everyday player, and he expects Sabean will make a move.
He advocates for testing every player once a month (or even twice a month) - this should be the norm it's kind of ridiculous that it isn't actually.

mistgl

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Just listened to a JT Snow interview, good interview he was very forthcoming.

He says his gut feeling is Melky is done as a Giant.
He says he doesn't think there's anyone in the minors who can help - wouldn't be fair to bring up Gary Brown.
He says he doesn't think Blanco is an everyday player, and he expects Sabean will make a move.
He advocates for testing every player once a month (or even twice a month) - this should be the norm it's kind of ridiculous that it isn't actually.

Makes sense. No one gives a shit about mota, so it wouldn't be a firestorm to throw him back in the pen, but an MVP candidate? That would just be begging for trouble. The org has been trying to move away from anything PED related since Bonds made his exit.

Agree on the no call up for Brown, too. He's cooled way off and is sitting at a flat .280. He proved he can adjust and hit advanced pitching, but he's not ready for the show. We already fucked Belt up by bring him in too soon, no need to mess up another guys development.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If that were in the rules, absolutely. But how would that be applied evenly? What about a player who gets caught in the off-season?

Basically, not a bad brainstorm idea for moving forward, but it certainly cannot be applied retroactively...

I agree that it wouldn't work for this season. Going forward it's something MLB could consider.

I'll be surprised if MLB does anything like this to be honest.

I know the media for the most part laughs at Conte, but he does know what he's talking about.

iHATEdodgers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Makes sense. No one gives a shit about mota, so it wouldn't be a firestorm to throw him back in the pen, but an MVP candidate? That would just be begging for trouble. The org has been trying to move away from anything PED related since Bonds made his exit.

Agree on the no call up for Brown, too. He's cooled way off and is sitting at a flat .280. He proved he can adjust and hit advanced pitching, but he's not ready for the show. We already fucked Belt up by bring him in too soon, no need to mess up another guys development.

Yeah I agree on Brown too - like JT said it wouldn't be fair to bring him up in a pennant race and as Melky's replacement. He did say he expected him to be called up in September though.

Anyway just to clarify Brown started off really cold in April and got better every month through July when he tore it up hitting .355 with a .962 ops... He has cooled of in August but August ain't over yet. He's hitting only .207 wrisp for the year Bleh so he'll fit right in?

mistgl

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Yeah I agree on Brown too - like JT said it wouldn't be fair to bring him up in a pennant race and as Melky's replacement. He did say he expected him to be called up in September though.

Anyway just to clarify Brown started off really cold in April and got better every month through July when he tore it up hitting .355 with a .962 ops... He has cooled of in August but August ain't over yet. He's hitting only .207 wrisp for the year Bleh so he'll fit right in?

I'm calling it now, the 'move' will be Damon. Sabean won't be able to resist.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm calling it now, the 'move' will be Damon. Sabean won't be able to resist.

Future Hall of Famer Johnny Damon is on our radar. Might as well bring in Vlad for a look, too.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It better not be Francoeur. Soriano would be alright if the Cubs paid a large chunk of his remaining contract.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Soriano doesn't want to play here because the weather is bad.... And he plays in Chicago.... He probably just has some beef with someone in the G's organization (Sabean probably criticized him in some way when they were in contract negotiations, which is why it fell through and Sabean now says he's not a fan of him).

Highly doubt Sabean will go after Frenchy, even his non-sabermetric numbers are awful and his advance numbers just terrify you. Pierre would be the best best but he may be blocked by the D-Backs

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Soriano doesn't want to play here because the weather is bad.... And he plays in Chicago.... He probably just has some beef with someone in the G's organization (Sabean probably criticized him in some way when they were in contract negotiations, which is why it fell through and Sabean now says he's not a fan of him).

Highly doubt Sabean will go after Frenchy, even his non-sabermetric numbers are awful and his advance numbers just terrify you. Pierre would be the best best but he may be blocked by the D-Backs

Jury-convicts-Barry-Bonds_6_1.jpg

Barry says "hello".

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Supposedly Krukow was all fired up this morning on KNBR. Did any of you catch what he said? I can look it up when I get home, but I can't view it here.

iHATEdodgers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Supposedly Krukow was all fired up this morning on KNBR. Did any of you catch what he said? I can look it up when I get home, but I can't view it here.

In his own words he's "pissed". He said he feels betrayed and he feels the team is pissed too. He doesn't think Melky is coming back - maybe not welcomed back.

He said Melky was stupid for doing it...

They asked him if the penalty should be harsher, Kruk said "Yer damn right. 1 year." 50 games ain't doing it, 100 ain't doing it. 1 year might. Then ban em.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In his own words he's "pissed". He said he feels betrayed and he feels the team is pissed too. He doesn't think Melky is coming back - maybe not welcomed back.

They asked him if the penalty should be harsher, Kruk said "Yer damn right. 1 year." 50 games ain't doing it, 100 ain't doing it. 1 year might. Then ban em.

Although you can make a case for bringing him back, I suspect there's little chance they will. Remember even before this we were wondering if we wanted him badly enough to overpay to keep him (since we'd probably have to), and were thinking about alternatives. This just makes the decision easy, no way Jose.

Any other franchise might consider it, but the post-Bonds Giants will walk away without hesitation.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Are they going to welcome Mota back? It appears they are - so I don't get the difference, other than Melky's suspension being more of a gut punch. And surely Kruk isn't reacting to the mere use of steroids, since he loves Bonds. Not sure I can come up with an explanation that absolves Kruk from being a hypocrite.

Last edited by a moderator:

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Although you can make a case for bringing him back, I suspect there's little chance they will. Remember even before this we were wondering if we wanted him badly enough to overpay to keep him (since we'd probably have to), and were thinking about alternatives. This just makes the decision easy, no way Jose.

Any other franchise might consider it, but the post-Bonds Giants will walk away without hesitation.

Hopefully they go after that former meth addict now.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are they going to welcome Mota back? It appears they are - so I don't get the difference, other than Melky's suspension being more of a gut punch. And surely Kruk isn't reacting to the mere use of steroids, since he loves Bonds. Not sure I can come up with an explanation the absolves Kruk from being a hypocritical.

Hypocritical maybe, emotional for sure. Bonds was a long time great with the Giants, who played many years clean. Mota was here a while too including 2010.

Melky was a newcomer whose stats were partly fueled by cheating, so no loyalty had been built up, or at least not enough for Giants fans and team to rally around him.

It's not terribly consistent, but it's an emotional topic not a bloodless legal one. And in the end it's what prevents Melky from being signed.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopefully they go after that former meth addict now.

At least it wasn't baseball cheating, amirite?

Actually I hope they stay very clear of him for other reasons.