• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mays to Bengals

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think that if surrounded by good CB's which we have and not asked to cover 1-on-1 he can be a real weapon. He needs to be used in Zone and blitzing packages and close to the line of scrimmage. Used much like the Steelers use Troy.

I was vehemently against taking Mays at all, so my comments regarding his talent and skill are far from objective. But, as I see Mays, he has the speed to play centerfield, but not the instincts, the vision or the feel. He also has the speed to cover a WR out of the slot, but not the athleticism.

I have said this before, as crazy as it may sound, I think he is on the wrong side of the ball. One thing for sure, he will give you guys everything he has to be an asset to your team.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His instincts leave a lot to be desired that is for sure, and if he could catch he could probably be one hell of a WR. But the only thing I can hang my hat on is at one time he was a top 10 pick they thought coming out of USC had he not stayed that extra year and 2 that Mike Zimmer made Roy Williams a 5 time pro bowler and Williams is basically a slower Mays.

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
How are the safeties used in that scheme?

If he can be used as a pure SS on TE's and RB's on 1st and 2nd downs he'll be okay. Getting burned on play-action will be a concern, and teams will play cat and mouse with him because he either bites or is slow to react. He'll work hard, but just may have a negative football IQ and can't cover a WR with his stiff hips. Pair him with a free roaming FS and good corners and it could work.

If he devotes himself to ST's, he could be good. You'll see he's not very fluid. He's currently fighting himself not to miss tackles a lot of the time.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
His instincts leave a lot to be desired that is for sure, and if he could catch he could probably be one hell of a WR. But the only thing I can hang my hat on is at one time he was a top 10 pick they thought coming out of USC had he not stayed that extra year and 2 that Mike Zimmer made Roy Williams a 5 time pro bowler and Williams is basically a slower Mays.

Yeah, the Zimmer factor just might be the difference maker for Mays ~ I sincerely hope so.

Yoshi

LOS CATALANES SUPREMA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My cousin went to H.S. with roy in union city, nor cal. Same rap on him - that rover type of player who has excellent instincts in the box but has issues pass defending. Gotta agree with your assessment of Roy W. and Taylor being similar players.

It's unfortunate in Taylor Mays' situation but a lot of people here knew the guy couldn't pass defend. I've seen my share of him with Cal - USC battles up close and center and it was pretty evident back then as it is now. GL to him in Sin City.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does Baalke get held accountable for letting Singletary sway his decisions on draft day, though? I know Baalke wasn't technically the GM, but it was still widely known that Singletary isn't a talent evaluator.

Wasn't Singletary given the final say in all football matters after Scotty McClueless quit/was fired/whatever? I could have sworn multiple media reports/interviews stating Singletary was running football operations. It was something people used to illustrate the dysfunctional operations of the 49ers.

Yoshi

LOS CATALANES SUPREMA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wasn't Singletary given the final say in all football matters after Scotty McClueless quit/was fired/whatever? I could have sworn multiple media reports/interviews stating Singletary was running football operations. It was something people used to illustrate the dysfunctional operations of the 49ers.

I know Mike Nolan was involved in some of the football ops as mentioned by KNBR's interviews with certain players. I don't know exactly if Singletary had the same exact duties, but he was definitely involved in the selection process - the fact that we selected 2 OL in the first (although I know that we were weak at OL, but still - the book is still out on Davis), and Mays being drafted next?

taughtmepatience

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why does Mays get one year to prove himself, yet Smith gets five? I think they're cutting the cord a little early on this one.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why does Mays get one year to prove himself, yet Smith gets five? I think they're cutting the cord a little early on this one.

Ill be one of the many that agree or at least wish we held on to mays a little longer. All of our secondary had issues last yr, but unfortunately it looked like the coaching staff didnt see much in him. We have a lot of safeties and he wasnt even looking to make the roster. At least we got something for him.

uclabruin094

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Smith: #1 Pick Overall
Mays: 2nd Round pick

Smith: QB
Mays: Safety

We move on with Mays because we have better talent than him at S. We keep Smith because he has talent, and we really have no better option on the team at the moment.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Even if you do find a scheme where Mays can play SS, good offenses will be able to gameplan to exploit his coverage skills.

That being said I think it's still too early to tell if he cannot develop into a better safety. Maybe up until now he's been totally relying on his speed and strength and it will take him 2-3 years to learn technique and maybe improve his agility a little to play in the NFL.
I would have liked to keep him as a 4th or 5th safety but maybe the 49er coaches think Spillman is just as good on STs and if they can get a 4th round draft pick for Mays then they went for it. You probably cannot get anything for Spillman or Madieu Williams but Mays being so young still has trade bait value.

erckm510

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does Mays have football instincts? Isn't that the main knock against him?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Does Mays have football instincts? Isn't that the main knock against him?

yep, it has to be lack of instincts, feel, whatever football description we want to use. cause what else would it be, his physical tools are well documented and theres no "off field" issues.

the sad thing is, the degree of this "lack of", had to be pretty bad to get rid of him this early.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
yep, it has to be lack of instincts, feel, whatever football description we want to use. cause what else would it be, his physical tools are well documented and theres no "off field" issues.

the sad thing is, the degree of this "lack of", had to be pretty bad to get rid of him this early.

Maybe it's a dimishing value thing. If Baalke trades him this year, maybe he got a 4th. If you hang onto Mays for another year and he doesn't develop, you might get a 5th/6th, hang onto him for several more years and you may get a 7th or nothing for him and he'll just walk as a free agent.

So maybe they thought getting a 4th was maximizing his value since he'd be buried on the depth chart anyways?

EaseUrStorm

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think a team would be crazy to give up a 4th.

We'll see, but I'm thinking we got ~ 6th, and I'd be happy if they gave up a 5th.

Spiller > Mays on ST's.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harbaugh said he wanted his starters to play into the third quarter of Saturday's game against the Texans. "We want to get them into two-minute drive situations, coming out after the half, third-down, short-yardage goal-line, backed up - as many situations as you possibly can," he said. "Traditionally that's the way it's been, and that's our approach.'

I like this

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

The bottom line, said Cosell: "The NFL game is about lateral movement and change of direction, and he doesn't have that. ... I thought he was a overall a big-time stiff, and I thought he was very lucky to be picked in the second round

ok, i stand corrected cause i thought it was his football instincts, his feel for the game, his awareness of passes. so he's just not as athletic as we thought? he has physical size and straightline speed, nothing lateral which is where athleticity (is this a word?) is at.

EaseUrStorm

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
No, I think you had it right. He doesn't have instincts and anticipation. The inability to change direction makes him highly exploitable for WR's.

He's a scud missile who will blow up anyone directly in his path.

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mays won't be covering any WRs 1-on-1. He will play a lot of zone and will play a lot in the box. We have great coverage LBers so I doubt he will even be covering a lot of TEs 1-on-1. We have really good CBs and our FS is a roamed and has really good athleticism to cover as well. I feel like the scheme we run is perfect for him. Like I've said a million times, this is the kind of SS that Zimmer loves and uses to perfection.