• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mays to Bengals

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yes, a 7th is unlikely to even make the team BUT, keeping Mays when you already know he ain't an NFL safety..............hurts the team. it hurts by keeping someone else off the team, likely a Safety who is of NFL caliber? or at very least a Safety with potential to be an NFL Safety.

if Mays was at a ST's monster, we might've considered keeping him to lessen the sting? but still wouldn't cover drafting him incorrectly.

If it comes to STs, then yes, it wouldn't cover drafting him in the 2nd... however with his speed and strength alone, he can play in the NFL. He has great athleticism(catching that block Punt for a TD) and just needs to work on his game.

Maybe after several tries(years/seasons) if there was no improvment then yea ok... but after one year? one year under another coach? I find it odd, Mays' strengths couldn't been used at all.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So is a 2013 7th round pick like a 2012 8th round pick? lol

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If it comes to STs, then yes, it wouldn't cover drafting him in the 2nd... however with his speed and strength alone, he can play in the NFL. He has great athleticism(catching that block Punt for a TD) and just needs to work on his game.

Maybe after several tries(years/seasons) if there was no improvment then yea ok... but after one year? one year under another coach? I find it odd, Mays' strengths couldn't been used at all.

no problem with your opinion.

yes, the reason he was even drafted round 2 is in bolden, but after watching him play in the NFL, its clear all that didn't translate into an NFL player. if there was even some potential left, they would keep him but.....

when you already know Mays just doesn't have it, 'working on his game' won't get him far? in the 2-3 years waiting to see if he improves, we could've gotten another player ready? for EXAMPLE, what if we keep Mays and cut a player like Brock? keep Mays and cut a player like Adams?

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no problem with your opinion.

yes, the reason he was even drafted round 2 is in bolden, but after watching him play in the NFL, its clear all that didn't translate into an NFL player. if there was even some potential left, they would keep him but.....

when you already know Mays just doesn't have it, 'working on his game' won't get him far? in the 2-3 years waiting to see if he improves, we could've gotten another player ready? for EXAMPLE, what if we keep Mays and cut a player like Brock? keep Mays and cut a player like Adams?

But after 1 yr? Unless there's more to him than not knowing(ie. character issues/concerns), why not try to work with him? The new regime had him less than a normal offseason and they cut ties with him alrdy for a 7th? Why not try and work him out, if not, use him at that ST guy.... his gunner ability can make our STs coverage one of the best. BTW, I would've like to see him try out as a blitzer and see if positive results come about.

That's not to say, come draft or FA, if there's someone better to fill the S role then go ahead. Improve the team at all costs but to give up on him so soon, for nothing? IDK... obviously they(Niners staff) know what their doing but I'm just not seeing their rationale.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

I disagree about the athleticism. Mostly because everyone (coaches etc) seems to say he's too stiff to play DB in the NFL.

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
We probably would have kept Mays as a backup if the off-season didn't work out the way it did. When Goldson looked like he was long gone, we immediately signed M. Williams for insurance. We then aggressively stole Whitner from Cin before Goldson came back out of the blue to crowd the position.

I'm not sure how much R. Smith's injury had on adding another safety, but it may have contributed to M. Williams being here.

If Mays shows any glimpse of being able to cover, that move may not have happened, so you can look at it that way.

Then Mays also got unlucky with Spillman being the team's ST's ace. If he was at virtually any other position, we probably keep him. Pretty brutal for him, but that's the way it goes, and I don't have any issue with the cut. He had no business getting drafted that high.

FourBeeDen

Semi Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The argument that because Taylor Mays was drafted in the second round, the Niners should have kept him even on special teams, still eludes me. From the coaching staff's point of view, Mays does not fit in what they are implementing. Even if they could not get a trading partner, they would have cut him. So what's better get something for him or nothing at all?

The Niners' coaching staff are not the only one who are very low on Mays' abilities. In an recent article by Matt Barrows, Greg Cosell on the NFL Films thinks Mays should have been a six rounder.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But we got nothing for him. A 7th rounder for me is as valuable as a 1997 penny.....

I feel we didn't try with him or open up to any other roles on the team.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
But after 1 yr? Unless there's more to him than not knowing(ie. character issues/concerns), why not try to work with him? The new regime had him less than a normal offseason and they cut ties with him alrdy for a 7th? Why not try and work him out, if not, use him at that ST guy.... his gunner ability can make our STs coverage one of the best. BTW, I would've like to see him try out as a blitzer and see if positive results come about.

That's not to say, come draft or FA, if there's someone better to fill the S role then go ahead. Improve the team at all costs but to give up on him so soon, for nothing? IDK... obviously they(Niners staff) know what their doing but I'm just not seeing their rationale.

again, your opinion is ok but it APPEARS you're still clinging to his measurables?

the current GM was around last year and the current Coaching Staff can review a year of film on Mays. its clear to them he's not a good football player regardless of his physical gifts. its now clear based on his actual NFL performances, not projections.

FourBeeDen

Semi Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
But we got nothing for him. A 7th rounder for me is as valuable as a 1997 penny.....

So basically you are stating that the Niners' should have kept him as a project? This team is not even close to being the type of team that can afford to keep projects on the roster. They need contributors right away.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

some fans like to move players around based on weight and height, but there's a reason some bigger players didn't become linemen or linebackers? Fangio was clear in saying Mays isn't a LB, so what other position is left?

a "run stopping" Safety? we got that in Whitner and Goldson, plus these two guys don't have to come out on passing downs.

the only role i can think of was a ST's demon on coverage, or a ST's captain like Michael Robinson was? but even then can't see Mays being the up man on punts?

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

What roles would you have tried him at?

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
again, your opinion is ok but it APPEARS you're still clinging to his measurables?

the current GM was around last year and the current Coaching Staff can review a year of film on Mays. its clear to them he's not a good football player regardless of his physical gifts. its now clear based on his actual NFL performances, not projections.

I'm trying to make something out of our 2nd rd pick... instead of turning it into a 2013 7th...

His actual performance is what 5-6 games as a starter? The whole secondary stunk.... Goldson is really no better...

I trust the coaches know what they're doing because i'm going off what i've seen(capable of viewing) on gamedays.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So basically you are stating that the Niners' should have kept him as a project? This team is not even close to being the type of team that can afford to keep projects on the roster. They need contributors right away.

again trying to preserve our 2nd rd pick selection. Rather him turning into a ST killer than a 7th rd pick IMO.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm trying to make something out of our 2nd rd pick... instead of turning it into a 2013 7th...

His actual performance is what 5-6 games as a starter? The whole secondary stunk.... Goldson is really no better...

I trust the coaches know what they're doing because i'm going off what i've seen(capable of viewing) on gamedays.

I agree man, not sure why we gave up so soon. Like you said our whole secondary was mediocre last year. I guess they see Spillman as a better ST player and safety. Must not have it in practice i guess.

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The argument that because Taylor Mays was drafted in the second round, the Niners should have kept him even on special teams, still eludes me. From the coaching staff's point of view, Mays does not fit in what they are implementing. Even if they could not get a trading partner, they would have cut him. So what's better get something for him or nothing at all?

The Niners' coaching staff are not the only one who are very low on Mays' abilities. In an recent article by Matt Barrows, Greg Cosell on the NFL Films thinks Mays should have been a six rounder.

I agree. The key question is what is he going to develop into in this system. If you don't like the answer then get what you can get or cut the guy loose. That extra 7th rounder is slightly better than nothing, so take it.

The other thing this does is sends a clear definitive message to Baalke that if he doesn't fit players to the system in the future, they'll be gone immediately no matter how high they're drafted.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
some fans like to move players around based on weight and height, but there's a reason some bigger players didn't become linemen or linebackers? Fangio was clear in saying Mays isn't a LB, so what other position is left?

a "run stopping" Safety? we got that in Whitner and Goldson, plus these two guys don't have to come out on passing downs.

the only role i can think of was a ST's demon on coverage, or a ST's captain like Michael Robinson was? but even then can't see Mays being the up man on punts?

Not advocating a switch in positions but in roles on Defense perhaps. Try him out as an attacking S on the blitz.... use him on passing down situations... try some different looks with a 335 or change it up with a 44 look... not trying to change the whole identity of our base Def but throw in different looks.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What roles would you have tried him at?

Honestly, I would see if he can be effective at rushing the passer off the edge or try a stunt up the middle. The kid has serious speed, see if we can use that into our pass rush? Not coverting him to a LB, but a DB blitzer in this case.

Have him play zone near the LOS so he can chase down(or attempt to) the backs near the sidelines. Again just try to see if it works, if it doesn't, then it doesn't.

I guess I'm more frustrated that we didn't try other methods in using him. But maybe they did in practice and found out it wasn't possible? The coaches know more than I do so I got to go with it.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

To say Goldson is no better is insane. What was one positive play Mays made on defense last year?

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Honestly, I would see if he can be effective at rushing the passer off the edge or try a stunt up the middle. The kid has serious speed, see if we can use that into our pass rush? Not coverting him to a LB, but a DB blitzer in this case.

Have him play zone near the LOS so he can chase down(or attempt to) the backs near the sidelines. Again just try to see if it works, if it doesn't, then it doesn't.

I guess I'm more frustrated that we didn't try other methods in using him. But maybe they did in practice and found out it wasn't possible? The coaches know more than I do so I got to go with it.

Honestly, that's ridiculous. Even at USC he showed virtually no ability to rush the passer or blitz. All anyone ever has to say for positives about him are he is big and fast.

And really, you want to use him strictly as a chase down safety? He struggles taking on RBs in the open field, he's horrible in coverage. You're grasping at straws to justify keeping a guy that has no business being on the team. If all he can do is chase guys down from behind, do you really want him on the field?