• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mays to Bengals

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry but Clements isn't a really good CB. :)

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Mays won't be covering any WRs 1-on-1. He will play a lot of zone and will play a lot in the box. We have great coverage LBers so I doubt he will even be covering a lot of TEs 1-on-1. We have really good CBs and our FS is a roamed and has really good athleticism to cover as well. I feel like the scheme we run is perfect for him. Like I've said a million times, this is the kind of SS that Zimmer loves and uses to perfection.

well i hope he works out for your team unless they're playing the 49ers?

while i don't expect the trade was for higher than a 6th rounder, MAYBE its conditional and giving it a chance to move up a round?

btw - while i read the above, it reminded me of how this board first talked about Mays. excluding the part "We have really good CBs".

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah he is a really good #2 CB especially in the very physical AFCN.

FourBeeDen

Semi Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Smith: #1 Pick Overall
Mays: 2nd Round pick

Smith: QB
Mays: Safety

We move on with Mays because we have better talent than him at S. We keep Smith because he has talent, and we really have no better option on the team at the moment.

You can also add ... New Coaching staff... After evaluating the players left over from the Old regime, they did not think Mays fit the system they are going to implement... It's not really a new thing when a New Coaching staff comes in and clean house...

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
People still seem to be overrating Mays. He's not good at the line of scrimmage because he takes poor angles and doesn't wrap up. He is always looking for the big hit and more often than not misses it. He has a reputation as a big hitter, but even at his best (at USC being allowed to attack the line of scrimmage and blow up running backs) more often than not the RB would still fall forward. And a lot of those showed up on his HIGHLIGHT packages on youtube, where they showcase the best plays the player ever made in college.

He's never going to start. He's a special teamer, and might be able to be above average at that.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I was thinking about Mays alot when he was still here and my thought was you hear alot of teams now wanting the FS and the SS to be interchangeable.

You want both of them to be able to drop back in coverage, and both of them to be able to play near the line of scrimmage.

With the passing game taking over in the NFL, it makes sense that you want your safeties interchangeable and also that lets you disguise the secondary.

I don't care how good Mays develops, I don't think you can disguise the secondary with him in there. He'll probably always be a liability especially against smaller, quicker receivers.

Good teams will be able to gameplan and run passing plays that will isolate one safety and then take advantage.

So I'm happy with Whitner/Goldson/Reggie Smith/Williams. All 4 seem fairly interchangeable. Whitner is more of a SS, but still we're pretty set.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Pete Carroll probably laughed his ass off when we took him and is laughing even harder right now.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
and of course its not Mays fault, its our scouting staff, HC, interim GM, etc..

Lightyear49er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Article from Webzone since the other one isn't working.

49ers received seventh-round pick 2013 for Mays

I had to laugh this one off. I'm not surprised by this, I really thought they were gonna cut him so like deep said, sumtin is better than nuttin! I didn't like this pick, wasn't crazy about the Crabtree pick either.....but these aren't the only two head scratching decissions this team has made in the past ten years.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A 7th? I'm actually darn right peeved right now..... traded away a 2nd for a 7th in two years???

Honestly I would rather have tried make it work with Mays by 2013... Absolutely awful....

I know the "it's better than nothing" phrase is tagged on but a 7th is basically nothing to me....

Yadahell

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A 7th? I'm actually darn right peeved right now..... traded away a 2nd for a 7th in two years???

Honestly I would rather have tried make it work with Mays by 2013... Absolutely awful....

I know the "it's better than nothing" phrase is tagged on but a 7th is basically nothing to me....

+1

RedneckNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow we traded one of the best young safeties in the game for a seventh round pick. I mean Mays is a stud. If you look past the fact that he can't cover, can't backpedal, takes bad angles, forgets to wrap up, and lacks football instincts. He is awesome. We should have tried to trade him to the Raiders hes an Al Davis wet dream, big and fast.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
If we are going to keep 5 safeties we should have hung onto Mays and tried to turn him into a special teams beast.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
If we are going to keep 5 safeties we should have hung onto Mays and tried to turn him into a special teams beast.

Nah, we should have had him and VD train for the Olympics to take home the Decathlon.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

yes, a 7th is unlikely to even make the team BUT, keeping Mays when you already know he ain't an NFL safety..............hurts the team. it hurts by keeping someone else off the team, likely a Safety who is of NFL caliber? or at very least a Safety with potential to be an NFL Safety.

if Mays was at a ST's monster, we might've considered keeping him to lessen the sting? but still wouldn't cover drafting him incorrectly.