• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mays to Bengals

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It isn't out yet. Think he was just excited and we all jumped on it. LOL.

Don't think it can be official until Mays passes his physical anyhoo.

Hope he's smart enough to pass the physical

freaak

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
So, here's my question. Is Mays considered a Baalke pick or a Singletary pick? This is important for when we start threads on how great/terrible Baalke is as a talent evaluator. :smile:

Furthermore, was Anthony Davis a Baalke or Singletary pick?

Also, because Baalke was not yet GM at the time, did that mean he and Singletary had equal pull in the 2010 draft?

I guess those are several questions.:peace2:

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Singletary and "brain-trust", lol. The guy is an all-time player but he had no business bein' our head coach, and even less of a right to evaluate players. Not wanting us to draft P-Will kinda' says it all.

Ah man..That was really bad when you think of it. He was supposed to be a linebacker guru. If he missed on Willis that would have hurt.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
So, here's my question. Is Mays considered a Baalke pick or a Singletary pick? This is important for when we start threads on how great/terrible Baalke is as a talent evaluator. :smile:

Furthermore, was Anthony Davis a Baalke or Singletary pick?

Also, because Baalke was not yet GM at the time, did that mean he and Singletary had equal pull in the 2010 draft?

I guess those are several questions.:peace2:

Freaak: Here is what I know from what has been published: The following are considered Singletary picks

Crabtree
Mays
A.Davis

Giantsmojo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ah man..That was really bad when you think of it. He was supposed to be a linebacker guru. If he missed on Willis that would have hurt.

Maybe he wanted Darrelle Revis which means he just thought both being equal he would prefer a CB to ILB.

I'm sure that was not the case though.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Freaak: Here is what I know from what has been published: The following are considered Singletary picks

Crabtree
Mays
A.Davis

All of the picks that made me cringe. Besides Crabtree (could of had Orakpo) i thought those were all picks that we should have traded down.

stilla9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Crabtree
Mays
A.Davis

Mays and A.Davis are definite Sing picks. But Not Crab. I remember the draft, Singletary saying in a couple interviews he wanted Orakpo or Oher. But the GM at the time didnt expect Crab to go past the Raiders. So the had to take Crab because he was the highest rated player at pick 10.

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Davis pick screamed Singletary. McCloughan's resigning right before the draft unfortunately opened it up to Singletary.

I remember right after the draft Baalke said these were all his picks. He said something to the effect of 10 times out of 10 times he would make a trade to move up for Davis. Was it all posturing?

I envision Singletary pounding a table saying "I want Davis. Give me Davis. Do what you have to do to give me this Davis kid. Davis!"

From a GM's standpoint, trading up for a RT project and giving up a valuable 4th rounder in that type of draft (deep middle rounds, not top heavy) when your team has plenty of holes to fill at elite positions a bit of an outrage.

With all that being said, you have to think Baalke had the ability to not trade up if he really didn't want the guy. He could have at least stalled until the pick came up by making loud calls short on value, and then finally pulled the plug at #13.

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe he wanted Darrelle Revis which means he just thought both being equal he would prefer a CB to ILB.

I'm sure that was not the case though.

It's possible. Didn't think of them being in the same class. Is there any reports that discussed who Sing was targeting instead?

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Crabtree
Mays
A.Davis

Actually, I'm pretty sure Crabtree was a McCloughan pick through and through.

Mike Iupati, Anthony Dixon, and Nate Byham were probably "Singletary picks".

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's possible. Didn't think of them being in the same class. Is there any reports that discussed who Sing was targeting instead?

He didn't really have much say in it. At the time he was only our Linebacker coach so he wouldn't have any influence over that. The only reason his opinion mattered on Willis is because he would be under the tutelage of him and played his former position.

Giantsmojo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No just speculation as to why Sing may have been against the pick of Willis other then poor talent evaluation.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Crabtree was a McCloughan pick as I remember he had to talk Singletary into it who wanted Oher at the time. Which is what lead to the drafting O line with a vengeance in 2010.

The more that comes out the more I can't really pin the 2010 draft on Baalke as it's looking like he just wasn't really the shot caller during it even if he claims that was the case. So I think it's more fair to evaluate him with the 2011 class when it was clear the class was completely on him.

As far as the topic goes if we get a 4th for Mays than that would be fleecing the Bengals on that one.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crabtree was a McCloughan pick as I remember he had to talk Singletary into it who wanted Oher at the time. Which is what lead to the drafting O line with a vengeance in 2010.

The more that comes out the more I can't really pin the 2010 draft on Baalke as it's looking like he just wasn't really the shot caller during it even if he claims that was the case. So I think it's more fair to evaluate him with the 2011 class when it was clear the class was completely on him.

As far as the topic goes if we get a 4th for Mays than that would be fleecing the Bengals on that one.

Does Baalke get held accountable for letting Singletary sway his decisions on draft day, though? I know Baalke wasn't technically the GM, but it was still widely known that Singletary isn't a talent evaluator.

FourBeeDen

Semi Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Does Baalke get held accountable for letting Singletary sway his decisions on draft day, though? I know Baalke wasn't technically the GM, but it was still widely known that Singletary isn't a talent evaluator.

To a certain degree, I would say yes, Baalke should have some responsibility in that draft. However, it is pretty clear that Sing had the final call.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To a certain degree, I would say yes, Baalke should have some responsibility in that draft. However, it is pretty clear that Sing had the final call.

I don't know about the "final call", but his fingerprints are all over it.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

The problem is we just don't know the internal politics in the room and how much power Baalke truly had in the draft.

If Baalke had the power and clout to really overrule Singletary than I would put a lot of accountability on him. It's your job to have the team's best interest in mind especially with a 2nd round pick and you need to stand firm even if you have a bang on the table moment with your coach. To a certain extent a GM should give an ear to a coach banging on the table but that's only if you have some agreement over that player and if you flat out think the guy can't cut it you say no.

My own speculation is Baalke didn't have that kind of power and clout to really overrule Singletary. Most of the picks have Singletary's hand prints all over them and at the time Singletary's stock was high and he wasn't looked at the way he is now. Seemed like his job was just to advise and man the phones and do the detailed work that Singletary couldn't do.

Or Baalke who was auditioning for a job could've know the Singletary ship was going to sink so he let Singletary have his way for the most part so when the ship sank he wouldn't be on it and could go tell Jed I told you so and it wasn't my fault and still be considered a viable person for the job.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're right, we don't know the exact power structure so it's hard for us to hand out blame, but my impression was that Baalke was the de facto GM - and that means he had the final say.