• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mayhew in no hurry to extend Levy

Naughtymax

Internet MMA God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"...every business man knew..."
"...it's just good business..."
"Insane to think otherwise."
"...not clear thinking."
"Easy thinking"

It's too bad you aren't the Lions GM, Max. Probably have a few Superbowls by now.
Yup. An even dozen if my boss were in the position.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Levy gets tagged, it had better not be by anyone currently employed by the Detroit Lions.

Fucker doesn't Rush the passer, no reason in hell to pay him pass rusher money.

That seems to be the general consensus around the league too, pass rushing LBs are worth far more than those who don't.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That seems to be the general consensus around the league too, pass rushing LBs are worth far more than those who don't.
We could just try and say he's a middle linebacker. :noidea:

Like the 'aints with Jimmy. Then we can trade him for a center after he hates our guts.

Levy can't be tagged as an OLB, it's simply illogical. Which means Mayhew prolly thinks it's an option, when it really isn't. Even less than tagging Reif imo. Atleast RR plays left tackle. Levy isn't worth half of what his tag number would be.

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
broken_calculator.jpg

Naughtymax

Internet MMA God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"...every business man knew..."
"...it's just good business..."
"Insane to think otherwise."
"...not clear thinking."
"Easy thinking"

It's too bad you aren't the Lions GM, Max. Probably have a few Superbowls by now.
Sorry, one other thing. Got any stocks you either really like or hate?

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup. An even dozen if my boss were in the position.

Try remembering that when were discussing Mayhew, and not you and your brilliant boss.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ansah led all DE's in QB hits last year. Can he keep that up without Suh? If he does, he will command top 5 DE money.

Reiff won't get elite money, but he'll get a huge contract, if not with Detroit, with someone. Everyone's beloved PFF ranked him as the best LT in the NFC North.

Slay is expected to get Joe Haden money. 5 years, near 70 million. Warford and Ansah are up the same year.

No way they keep all 4. Even without Suh.

For Levy being the guy they need to lock up, Mayhew sure isn't showing any signs of urgency to do so. I wonder what Levy's agent is saying to the Lions behind the scenes. No reason they won't try to make him the top paid LB in the NFL.

Something has to give.

You are going overboard with every prediction regarding these contracts.

Reiff isn't getting a huge contract in regards to the LT position, unless he makes a huge jump in the way he plays.

I HOPE slay turns into Joe Haden and would gladly pay him 5 years 70 million if he does. Right now -- Slay was a top 20-25 DB in the NFL Haden is a top 20-25 player in the NFL. If Slay continues to progress like he has -- I think he could be as good as Haden.

Levy -- he will get a big contract, but not sure how a guy who has never went to the pro bowl or named to an all-pro team is now going to be paid as the top LB in the NFL. He will get a big contract, but there is a big difference between big contract and highest paid player at the LB position.

Detroit had two guys worthy of monster contracts, not counting the QB position, as every contract is a monster contract it seems. Calvin Johnson and Suh. Johnson was given the monster deal. Suh was given an absurd amount by Miami.

With Ansah -- definitely a quality DE and will get paid accordingly. I don't see any chance he gets a monster contract with the numbers he is putting up. i also don't see how he led the NFL in QB hits for DE. I'd guess it would be Watt and it wouldn't even be close, as Watt finished with 6-8 sacks more than the guys in 2nd and 3rd for DE position.

Naughtymax

Internet MMA God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Try remembering that when were discussing Mayhew, and not you and your brilliant boss.
I understand. We see people put in positions of responsibility every day who are really lucky to get their shoes on the correct feet half the time. I'm not convinced Mayhew is one on the draft perspective, but in free agency negotiations he's been a pretty big failure, even allowing for the disadvantages he has in Detroit (poor weather, relatively high state taxes, franchise with little winning tradition).

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand. We see people put in positions of responsibility every day who are really lucky to get their shoes on the correct feet half the time. I'm not convinced Mayhew is one on the draft perspective, but in free agency negotiations he's been a pretty big failure, even allowing for the disadvantages he has in Detroit (poor weather, relatively high state taxes, franchise with little winning tradition).

Agree. We both also agree that Mayhew is mostly incompetent as a GM, which is why it's a stretch to assume he's thinking with a clear business mind like we'd like him to.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I HOPE slay turns into Joe Haden and would gladly pay him 5 years 70 million if he does. Right now -- Slay was a top 20-25 DB in the NFL Haden is a top 20-25 player in the NFL. If Slay continues to progress like he has -- I think he could be as good as Haden.

I believe PFF ranks Hayden as the 17th best CB in the NFL right now while Slay was ranked 19th. They're very similar, and if Slay's play continues, he will get Haden money.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lions are expecting a breakout season from third-year RE Ziggy Ansah.

Ansah is in his first full NFL offseason after sitting out last year's minicamp with a shoulder injury. He has 15.5 sacks through two seasons and the upside to be one of the league's top pass rushers. Ansah led the NFL with 20 quarterback hits in 2014. He turns 26 years old in late May. Apr 11 - 2:39 PM
Source: detroitlions.com

I'm not conversing with lazy posters anymore. It's not like this info isn't out there.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Levy gets tagged, it had better not be by anyone currently employed by the Detroit Lions.

Fucker doesn't Rush the passer, no reason in hell to pay him pass rusher money.

True, but he is a baller though. I think he deserves a couple years guaranteed money at 8-10 mill a season. I think he will be 30 after 2 more seasons. No reason to guarantee money past the first couple seasons.

Naughtymax

Internet MMA God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree. We both also agree that Mayhew is mostly incompetent as a GM, which is why it's a stretch to assume he's thinking with a clear business mind like we'd like him to.
Agree again, but the owner is a substantial shareholder in a hyper-professional, successful, multi-billion dollar company. It should be child's play for him to transfer an adult or two to the front office staff, even if they're not football people. If he's not bright enough to do that, maybe we have our real explanation for the Lions' lack of success - stupid rich boy not smart enough to actually manage his toys.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ansah is in his first full NFL offseason after sitting out last year's minicamp with a shoulder injury. He has 15.5 sacks through two seasons and the upside to be one of the league's top pass rushers. Ansah led the NFL with 20 quarterback hits in 2014. He turns 26 years old in late May. Apr 11 - 2:39 PM
Source: detroitlions.com

I'm not conversing with lazy posters anymore. It's not like this info isn't out there.

As I suspected -- JJ Watt not only had more QB hits than Ansah -- he had more QB hits than Ansah AND Suh combined.

Watt had 50 -- Ansah 25, Suh 20.

Ansah was still very impressive and actually surprised me, as he ranked 6th in the NFL in QB hits behind a who's who of DE and OLB (Watt, Von Miller, Houston, Dumervil, Dunlap)

Only reason I said it had to be Watt is -- I had looked up his stats when we had the Suh conversation. If you want to say he led 4-3 defensive ends in QB hits -- That'd be correct, I believe (not sure on Dunlap), but I believe the other are all 3-4 OLB.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL Fantasy Football Stats & League Leaders | FantasyData.com

Here is a site where you can look at all the numbers for the entire league by year, on offense and defense.

And it has nothing to do with being lazy. It is common knowledge if someone has followed the game in the least bit the last couple years. If there is a stat for the defensive side of the ball for a defensive linemen -- Watt is going to be the leader, as he has put up video game numbers for a DL.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
. If you want to say he led 4-3 defensive ends in QB hits -- That'd be correct

That's what I'm saying, and his new contract will be measured vs other 4-3 ends. Not everyone is paid compared it what they do vs what JJ Watt does, who isn't a 4-3 DE.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree again, but the owner is a substantial shareholder in a hyper-professional, successful, multi-billion dollar company. It should be child's play for him to transfer an adult or two to the front office staff, even if they're not football people. If he's not bright enough to do that, maybe we have our real explanation for the Lions' lack of success - stupid rich boy not smart enough to actually manage his toys.

Well, as the story goes, Ford Sr. was gifted the Lions so he'd have something to do that kept him away from the family auto biz because he just wasn't any good at it. Not sure if true or not, but that's the story I was always told growing up.