• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mayhew in no hurry to extend Levy

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually looks like Levy is ready to bolt just like Suh.

Detroit Lions want to lock up LB DeAndre Levy, but long-term contract negotiations on back burner | MLive.com

Lions general manager Martin Mayhew met with Levy's agent at the NFL's scouting combine last week, but admitted the conversations aren't likely to progress far until the team takes care of its 2015 offseason issues, starting with Suh.

"(A long-term extension for Levy) may make sense, it may not," Mayhew said. "I'm not opposed to it. I obviously want him to be here a long time, but, you know, we obviously have some other big fish in the pan right now."

Both ironic and hilarious that Mayhew referred to Suh as a "big fish" lol

But what a stupid comment as it pertains to Levy, even if true. Will not be surprised when Levy decides to leave after this year. Miami would be the perfect fit for both his playing style and his warm weather hobbies.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"In the case of DeAndre, we haven't even begun conversations with him, so I wouldn't know where those would take us, and we'll see where it goes, but every circumstance is a little bit different. We'll see where those conversations, once they start, take us."

Why???

Could it be because Levy's agent told them not to bother?

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just spitballin' here, but could it be because Mayhew is incompetent?

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A few possible reasons...
Him and his agent seen the insane money being thrown around to FAs. He has another stellar season without Suh, he will be a coveted FA.

Mayhew might be thinking along your lines. That, was Levy a product of Suh? Could cost less or more with a wait and see approach.

And also quite possibly be Fog's idea. Mayhew maybe is clueless??

Anything is speculative at this point anyway.

TwoCents22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm thinking the Lions are curious to see how he does without Suh. If Levy wants $8 per year, I don't think that's a huge difference in what it would take to tag him? Maybe they want to better evaluate where they should invest long term, Slay, Ziggy, or Levy?

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His tag would be 12 million.

Out before the GM posts start flying...

TwoCents22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I wouldn't agree with the change, or think they are, I do think there is still consideration in them going to a 3-4. And Levy's value drops considerably if we made that change. Maybe this is their line of thinking? Idk.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Levy is in no hurry. He can see what type of team the Lions have and what the market will be.

Lions should try to sign Levy ASAP and see what gas Ngata has left before offering a contract to him.

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gets so old reading how that motherfucker hasn't even started talking to players...

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its still very early in the offseason too. Once the draft is over then you will see much more progression. Teams are still too busy preparing for the draft.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its still very early in the offseason too. Once the draft is over then you will see much more progression. Teams are still too busy preparing for the draft.

I'm not sold that Levy is a top LB without Suh playing in front of him, but good teams don't become champions by letting their best players from previous seasons go. Already lost Suh and Fairley, can't let Reiff and Levy go too. Gotta lock em up.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sold that Levy is a top LB without Suh playing in front of him

pretty sure you also stated, once Ansah came on board he too made Levy better.

I'm not discounting Suh being double teamed regularly hasn't helped other players to become better.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sold that Levy is a top LB without Suh playing in front of him, but good teams don't become champions by letting their best players from previous seasons go. Already lost Suh and Fairley, can't let Reiff and Levy go too. Gotta lock em up.

I don't really think that is the case so much. I think getting rid of Vandensuck and adding Ziggy had much more of an impact. DE and OLB tend to have more overlap in responsibilities.

Now saying Suh made the rest of the D-line better I can agree with. Even made Tulloch look like one of the best MLBs in the league. Granted we new he was decent before he got here. Tulloch may actually determine how good this defense ends up being next year as he will have to get back to a high level to make some of the difference.

Agree that we cant let anyone else major go at this point.

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't really think that is the case so much. I think getting rid of Vandensuck and adding Ziggy had much more of an impact. DE and OLB tend to have more overlap in responsibilities.

Now saying Suh made the rest of the D-line better I can agree with. Even made Tulloch look like one of the best MLBs in the league. Granted we new he was decent before he got here. Tulloch may actually determine how good this defense ends up being next year as he will have to get back to a high level to make some of the difference.

Agree that we cant let anyone else major go at this point.

Tullochs injury is the big question mark. Whitehead should get 1st team reps with Tulloch having to battle to try and get the starting position back. Camp battles are great for a team. I wish the team was deep enough that there was a true battle at every position. May the best man win.

Naughtymax

Internet MMA God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll go with Mayhew is Incompetent. At least they'll have the tag option for him without breaking the bank.

This is the kind of thing my boss would have done in a week, and even I could do it in a month unless the other side is crazy. Just makes too much sense to take a bit less money now and insure yourself against injury.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see the Levy contract playing out much like the Suh contract. Levy's agent will want him to be one of, if not the highest paid LB in the NFL, and will use all the leverage available to make it happen. Don't see Mayhew slapping the tag on him. Could see the Lions losing out on Levy in FA next year.