• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Matt Barkley

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Osprey, do you have a designated college football / NFL draft thread on this forum? Or do the people 'round here not care about that stuff now that the Seahawks are good?

I'm starting to develop a few strong-ish opinions on some of the top prospects this year. Some random ones:

*Marqise Lee > Sammy Watkins. Watkins is like top shelf tequila, Michael Vick or a groupie: he goes down easy. I like Lee significantly more.

*Why does nobody have Donte Moncrief as one of the top WR prospects? I'm not even seeing him on top 100 lists. :confused: He's quick, graceful, big... I've been contrasting him VS Jordan Matthews (whom I like too). Moncrief is a MUCH MUCH better blocker, he seems a little quicker, he's listed at 11 pounds more than Matthews... anyway, have you seen the guy play? I think he's a diamond in the rough. At this point, I might even like him more than Watkins. However, I put a lot more emphasis on combine numbers than most people, so this could change obviously.

*I LOVE Antonio Richardson. I couldn't help but notice him when I was watching games looking at the Tennessee WRs last year (I like his teammate C James Stone too, and I'm baffled as to why nobody has taken notice of him). Dude has everything you want in a LT prospect IMO. I think Duane Brown is a good comparison. This OT class as a whole is obscene. There are tons of (literally) great prospects.

FSU DT Timmy Jernigan is a bit overrated IMO.

Anyway, do you have a thread for this kind of stuff? Or do you leave it on the college forums?

We care but usually the excitement is before the draft not after. In the future we may get our own Bingo, and have a thread for players already drafted, who knows, for now we'll soldier on.

SeattleOspreys

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Osprey, do you have a designated college football / NFL draft thread on this forum? Or do the people 'round here not care about that stuff now that the Seahawks are good?

I'm starting to develop a few strong-ish opinions on some of the top prospects this year. Some random ones:

*Marqise Lee > Sammy Watkins. Watkins is like top shelf tequila, Michael Vick or a groupie: he goes down easy. I like Lee significantly more.

*Why does nobody have Donte Moncrief as one of the top WR prospects? I'm not even seeing him on top 100 lists. :confused: He's quick, graceful, big... I've been contrasting him VS Jordan Matthews (whom I like too). Moncrief is a MUCH MUCH better blocker, he seems a little quicker, he's listed at 11 pounds more than Matthews... anyway, have you seen the guy play? I think he's a diamond in the rough. At this point, I might even like him more than Watkins. However, I put a lot more emphasis on combine numbers than most people, so this could change obviously.

*I LOVE Antonio Richardson. I couldn't help but notice him when I was watching games looking at the Tennessee WRs last year (I like his teammate C James Stone too, and I'm baffled as to why nobody has taken notice of him). Dude has everything you want in a LT prospect IMO. I think Duane Brown is a good comparison. This OT class as a whole is obscene. There are tons of (literally) great prospects.

FSU DT Timmy Jernigan is a bit overrated IMO.

Anyway, do you have a thread for this kind of stuff? Or do you leave it on the college forums?

Barkley can't even throw a decent out in Philly camp. It was all in the tape. Barkley was shown the 2 options.

1. Head to the NFL like Mark Sanchez when his stock was high and make a boat load of $$.
2. Go back to College to be the BMOC, go for a title, play like chit and drop down the draft boards like Matt Leinart. obviously Barkley didn't think he'd drop that far. Barkley cost himself a good $10+mm by going back to USC.

NS, there aren't typically a lot of Hawk college pundits around. Not saying there's none, but I know I'm the one guy that will spend a few minutes breaking down you tube to corroborate why I like this guy or that guy. You may get a few lists come March but that's typically the extent of it.

I'll have to get some type of draft thread started. I like your boards rookie and draft threads. You have some serious football knowledge and while we bust ballz, it's all in smack talk.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Barkley can't even throw a decent out in Philly camp. It was all in the tape. Barkley was shown the 2 options.

1. Head to the NFL like Mark Sanchez when his stock was high and make a boat load of $$.
2. Go back to College to be the BMOC, go for a title, play like chit and drop down the draft boards like Matt Leinart. obviously Barkley didn't think he'd drop that far. Barkley cost himself a good $10+mm by going back to USC.

NS, there aren't typically a lot of Hawk college pundits around. Not saying there's none, but I know I'm the one guy that will spend a few minutes breaking down you tube to corroborate why I like this guy or that guy. You may get a few lists come March but that's typically the extent of it.

I'll have to get some type of draft thread started. I like your boards rookie and draft threads. You have some serious football knowledge and while we bust ballz, it's all in smack talk.

Well if you do get a draft thread going, I'll be sure to frequent it with What-About-Bob-like persistence. Doesn't matter if it's June or 2 days before the draft; I can't get enough of that stuff.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Watching the Eagles - Panthers game. Matt Barkley does not look impressive against the scrubs.

SeattleOspreys

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watching the Eagles - Panthers game. Matt Barkley does not look impressive against the scrubs.

My college to NFL QB prognostications are improving. I wrote the above analysis during Barkley's JR year when, as you know, everyone had him as a top 10 selection. That is why I never take draft sites or pundits predictions unless I see it and write it up.

Another perfect example is Aaron Curry. Everyone loved him pre-draft. Hawk fans were high fiving for months that we got the best and safest selection in the draft. :laugh3:

I couldn't stand Curry and have a ton of documentation. My selection was a drop down 5 - 7 slots and grab Orakpo. Rak was a monster and we'll see how he returns. Add Kerrigan and Rak, the rooks in the secondary and come December, Skins are going to be heard from.

This isn't patting my back because I've blown some, too. i.e. Thinking Eli Manning was a turd and Peyton had those happy feet at UTenn, couldn't beat Florida and I didn't think he'd be more than a decent QB.

Later...

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My college to NFL QB prognostications are improving. I wrote the above analysis during Barkley's JR year when, as you know, everyone had him as a top 10 selection. That is why I never take draft sites or pundits predictions unless I see it and write it up.

Another perfect example is Aaron Curry. Everyone loved him pre-draft. Hawk fans were high fiving for months that we got the best and safest selection in the draft. :laugh3:

I couldn't stand Curry and have a ton of documentation. My selection was a drop down 5 - 7 slots and grab Orakpo. Rak was a monster and we'll see how he returns. Add Kerrigan and Rak, the rooks in the secondary and come December, Skins are going to be heard from.

This isn't patting my back because I've blown some, too. i.e. Thinking Eli Manning was a turd and Peyton had those happy feet at UTenn, couldn't beat Florida and I didn't think he'd be more than a decent QB.

Later...

Good to hear you talk a bit about those got wrong. Gives more credence in my eyes. I laugh at the gamblers I know who only talk about how much they've won, they act like they've never lost. Now I not saying your a gambler, it's just a analogy.

SeattleOspreys

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good to hear you talk a bit about those got wrong. Gives more credence in my eyes. I laugh at the gamblers I know who only talk about how much they've won, they act like they've never lost. Now I not saying your a gambler, it's just a analogy.

I told you Harold, I'm honest and not a liar. Never was tzorn and all that :bullshit:
I know my ball and can prognosticate with the best of 'em but when I have an error
in judgment, I have enough humility to say I whiffed bad on that one.

Keepin' it real is how I roll.... :suds:

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jordan Hill is my pick, as the best draft pick out of this draft, with the most success. I am preparing to eat my words if needed be. Matt Barkley is heading down the Brady Quinn road. Maybe a third stringer somewhere.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
We all get 'em wrong from time to time. Even the best GM in football (Ozzie Newsome) drafted Kyle Boller.

I still get crap from my friends for making my annual first round bust prediction in 2008 Matt Ryan (it's not easy to call a bust in the first round). They never bring up all the ones I got right; it's always, "And Matt Ryan is a bust isn't he?"

That's why I get such a kick out of watching him choke in the postseason.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Barkley will bust. You need arm strength as dredinis21 said. And that's not to complete the deep ball, but it's to complete out routes and hooks. If you don't have the strength you're going to allow easy reads for the defense.

In addition, when you don't harm any zip on your ball, the ball tends to float which makes it disastrously easy for the defense if the wide receiver doesn't have a leg and the ball is not perfectly thrown. Say hello to Mark Sanchez.

All dominant QBs have had good arm strength, and I'm not including guys like Matt Hasselbeck, Troy Aikman, etc. These guys had great teams that dominated in the run game to allow their QB to play above average but hardly at an elite level.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Barkley will bust. You need arm strength as dredinis21 said. And that's not to complete the deep ball, but it's to complete out routes and hooks. If you don't have the strength you're going to allow easy reads for the defense.

In addition, when you don't harm any zip on your ball, the ball tends to float which makes it disastrously easy for the defense if the wide receiver doesn't have a leg and the ball is not perfectly thrown. Say hello to Mark Sanchez.

All dominant QBs have had good arm strength, and I'm not including guys like Matt Hasselbeck, Troy Aikman, etc. These guys had great teams that dominated in the run game to allow their QB to play above average but hardly at an elite level.

Well, it's hard to be a bust in the 4th round....

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Osprey, I forget what thread you mentioned Alvin Bailey, but I was watching online today, and the feed was a little choppy at times. So I couldn't see if Bailey was playing or not; the 4th quarter is coming up & I'm trying to keep an eye out for him.