• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Martin Mayhew

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sum up -

Good news:

When it comes to finding players who can start or at least remain on the team for more than a couple seasons, Mayhew has done extremely well in the first three rounds...only two players picked in the first three rounds from 2009-12 aren't on the team anymore.

Bad news:

The numbers in the final four rounds aren't nearly as good. The Lions haven't had much mid-to-late-round success beyond (Sammie Lee Hill), though, at least not yet.

Conclusion:

Brian Xanders was brought in to try and draft players in rounds 4-7 who can become starters.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So that summary points to a better 2nd and 3rd round selections than Mayhew gets credit for from a certain segment on here... although Best and Spievey are on the edge of joining TY and Derrick Williams on that short list of players no longer with the team...

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Without the time right now to research it, who all has Mayhew taken in rounds 2-3 that really panned out?

2nd and 3rd rounders

Delmas - starter
Levy - starter

Best - (used a 2nd to trade up for him if that counts. Was a starter)
Titus Young - gone
Derrick Williams - gone
Ryan Broyles - jury still out
Bill Bentley - jury still out

who am I missing?

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mikel Leshoure, 2nd round.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Without the time right now to research it, who all has Mayhew taken in rounds 2-3 that really panned out?

2nd and 3rd rounders

Delmas - starter
Levy - starter

Best - (used a 2nd to trade up for him if that counts. Was a starter)
Titus Young - gone
Derrick Williams - gone
Ryan Broyles - jury still out
Bill Bentley - jury still out

who am I missing?

Amari Spievey, 3rd round 2010
Mikel Leshoure, 2nd round 2011

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ya ya good eyes guys. I'd say all those guys are good not great. Delmas could be great if he can stay healthy. what do you think.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds about right.

I think Broyles will be a great slot receiver in our system. He just has that knack for finding doft spots in the D, and he'll rack up a lot of catches over his career because of it.

I also like Bentley's carrer outlook as a slot CB. I see him being our 3rd starter at CB for a long time and doing very well on the inside...

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So that summary points to a better 2nd and 3rd round selections than Mayhew gets credit for from a certain segment on here... although Best and Spievey are on the edge of joining TY and Derrick Williams on that short list of players no longer with the team...

come on TP -- even the eternal optimists can't be happy with the Lions 2nd and 3rd round picks during Mayhew's tenure as GM.

the only impact starter taken in the 2nd or 3rd round is Delmas and unfortunately, he has had trouble staying healthy.

Levy has been a starter, but even you have admitted, he is one of those players who fill a starting role and don't eat up alot of cap space.

Speivey was a starter by default and he is relegated to a backup spot now, which I think is where he actually belongs. He does give the Lions some depth at the safety position though, which is nice.

LeShoure -- the 9 tds were nice last year, but the majority were 1 yard runs with a long of 7 yards I believe, so as a 2nd round pick -- he hasn't lived up to his draft spot. As has been said on here though -- hopefully an extra year off from the surgery, he will be able to find that extra gear we heard about. jury is out on him still.

Ryan Broyles -- I was actually starting to like him last year, as I thought he would be good in the slot, as he can get open underneath, but now with 2 major knee surgeries in 2 years. No one knows what we will get when he returns.

Bill Bentley -- Wasn't impressed with what he showed in his 4 games last year. He was a rookie though and it takes some time for some players to get acclimated to the NFL game. I think he will be our nickelback this year. jury is still out.

Jahvid Best, Derrick Williams, Titus Young -- not much to say about these picks.

Out of all the picks made in the 2nd and 3rd round -- Delmas is the only one named to a pro bowl or all pro team. I think Delmas was named as a pro bowl alternate in 2010. Don't quote me on that though, as I'm going off memory.

Detroit needs to find impact players in rounds 2 and 3. They can't continue to use up FA money to try and bring them in. If only the Lions could somehow find a way to carry over the success of their 1st round picks into the 2nd and 3rd rounds -- we'd be set. LOL

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
come on TP -- even the eternal optimists can't be happy with the Lions 2nd and 3rd round picks during Mayhew's tenure as GM.

the only impact starter taken in the 2nd or 3rd round is Delmas and unfortunately, he has had trouble staying healthy.

Levy has been a starter, but even you have admitted, he is one of those players who fill a starting role and don't eat up alot of cap space.

Speivey was a starter by default and he is relegated to a backup spot now, which I think is where he actually belongs. He does give the Lions some depth at the safety position though, which is nice.

LeShoure -- the 9 tds were nice last year, but the majority were 1 yard runs with a long of 7 yards I believe, so as a 2nd round pick -- he hasn't lived up to his draft spot. As has been said on here though -- hopefully an extra year off from the surgery, he will be able to find that extra gear we heard about. jury is out on him still.

Ryan Broyles -- I was actually starting to like him last year, as I thought he would be good in the slot, as he can get open underneath, but now with 2 major knee surgeries in 2 years. No one knows what we will get when he returns.

Bill Bentley -- Wasn't impressed with what he showed in his 4 games last year. He was a rookie though and it takes some time for some players to get acclimated to the NFL game. I think he will be our nickelback this year. jury is still out.

Jahvid Best, Derrick Williams, Titus Young -- not much to say about these picks.

Out of all the picks made in the 2nd and 3rd round -- Delmas is the only one named to a pro bowl or all pro team. I think Delmas was named as a pro bowl alternate in 2010. Don't quote me on that though, as I'm going off memory.

Detroit needs to find impact players in rounds 2 and 3. They can't continue to use up FA money to try and bring them in. If only the Lions could somehow find a way to carry over the success of their 1st round picks into the 2nd and 3rd rounds -- we'd be set. LOL
I don't think anyone is thrilled with this overall group of picks, but they're not as bad as you like to make them out to be.

I agree with you on Delmas, Levy and Spievey.

You can't say Leshoure hasn't lived up to his draft spot after only one season. I thought he had a decent rookie year. His TDs were obviously nice, and he showed good enough hands out of the backfield and was secure with the ball. I want to see his YPC get up above 4.0 this year, though.

I'm not concerned about Broyle's injuries in the long term. We're in the day and age where ligament damage in the knees is generally just a short-term injury, not a career-ender anymore. Sports medicine has came long, long ways in the last 20 years. He'll be back to full-speed by the end of the season.

You're one of the few who are down on Bentley. You aren't impressed with him, but don't offer much as to why, save for some PI penalties...

I think you expect too much of every pick made in on the 2nd day, especially in the 3rd round. Yes, we need to hit on more impact players, but it's not going to happen on every pick. Generally speaking, NFL GMs consider it a successful draft if they hit on 50% of their draft picks after the 1st round...

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We will find out about Jason Fox 4th rounder this year. Starter???
Willie Young was a 7th rounder. He will be a backup rotation guy this year.
With backup/ starter roles this year will tell a lot IMO on a few
Whitehead, Bentley, Green and Greenwood

Trading Roy Williams got us Pettigrew and Williams(BUST) Martins first big move.

Fauria could be a huge pickup if he turns into redzone monster he was at UCLA

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You can't say Leshoure hasn't lived up to his draft spot after only one season. I thought he had a decent rookie year. His TDs were obviously nice, and he showed good enough hands out of the backfield and was secure with the ball. I want to see his YPC get up above 4.0 this year, though.

I agree with you -- i shouldn't say he hasn't lived up to his draft spot. I should have said he wasn't the type of back I thought he was going to be after the Lions trading up to get him. Hopefully he looks different this year -- as last year he looked like a short yardage/goal line RB and not the explosive back we heard about after he was drafted.

I'm not concerned about Broyle's injuries in the long term. We're in the day and age where ligament damage in the knees is generally just a short-term injury, not a career-ender anymore. Sports medicine has came long, long ways in the last 20 years. He'll be back to full-speed by the end of the season.

Agreed -- Broyles could be back and be completely fine. I think it is going to take some time for him to get back to full strength though and to trust his knees. I'd feel more comfortable about him if his 1st knee surgery was a couple years ago, instead of back to back years. Obviously though, this is just a concern and doesn't mean it will be a problem.

You're one of the few who are down on Bentley. You aren't impressed with him, but don't offer much as to why, save for some PI penalties...

4 PI's in 4 games with 0 passes defensed. I think that says just about everything you need to know. He was terrible in his short time as a starter. Jury is still out as it is such a small sample, but I wasn't impressed in the least bit by him. My other problems with Bentley -- At only 5'10" -- he tied with Jeremy Jones of Wayne State for the worst Vertical Leap at 31.5 inches. Also, the other drill you want to see a CB excel at for the combine is Shuttle which tests they lateral movement and quick reaction time -- Bentley finished with the worst time of all CBs at 4.50. The next worst time was 4.28. Interesting enough -- Casey Hayward had the best time at 3.90.

I think you expect too much of every pick made in on the 2nd day, especially in the 3rd round. Yes, we need to hit on more impact players, but it's not going to happen on every pick. Generally speaking, NFL GMs consider it a successful draft if they hit on 50% of their draft picks after the 1st round...

I don't expect the Lions to draft impact players with every pick after the 1st round. My problem is -- they haven't drafted any, with the exception of possibly Delmas. Where else do you expect to get impact players? You can't build your team with all 1st round draft picks and free agents. Take a look at the teams who have had a ton of success and you will find the teams who are the best at drafting. Seattle has went from nothing to the team rated as the #1 team going into the season on the strength of their drafts. San Francisco has built a monster of a team from the strength of their drafts. Same can be said about pretty much all the teams at the top. Until the Lions start drafting better -- they are going to keep taking one step forward, one step back (this is my opinion).

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Mike- No team hits on every 2nd and 3rd round pick. In fact most of the 3rd rounders taken are career bench players. You can crap all over Mayhew for not hitting on every pick, but no GM does.

Lets look at Speivey. Look at the players taken after him. and even immediately before him if you thought mayhew should move up. You have some good TE's, Major Wright, Bowman and a whole lot of nothing. Now you can cry all day long saying Mayhew and Bowman would have been the better pick, but your 20/20 hindsight is not appliciable. Because look at who else passed on those guys. 32 NFL TEAMS!

Look at the LeShoure and Young picks. Look at the rest of the 2nd and 3rd rounds. Those 2 are probably both in the top 10 players of those rounds. You have Torrey Smith, Daquan Bowers, and little else that I saw. Young turned out to be a terrible person, but he is a good WR. And despite not being with us, he couple years of moderate production is better than most of that 2nd round will ever have.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mike- No team hits on every 2nd and 3rd round pick. In fact most of the 3rd rounders taken are career bench players. You can crap all over Mayhew for not hitting on every pick, but no GM does.

At what point are you going to understand that I am NOT saying he has to hit with EVERY PICK in the 2nd and 3rd round. I said you have to find impact players outside the first round though or your team is going to continue to take one step forward and one step back. Name me the impact players Mayhew has drafted outside the 1st round. IMO -- he has drafted one. Louis Delmas. To me -- the best pick he made was Sammie Lee Hill. The problem is -- he then drafted Suh and Fairley, so Hill was relegated to the sidelines, sans a couple series to give them breathers.

Lets look at Speivey. Look at the players taken after him. and even immediately before him if you thought mayhew should move up. You have some good TE's, Major Wright, Bowman and a whole lot of nothing. Now you can cry all day long saying Mayhew and Bowman would have been the better pick, but your 20/20 hindsight is not appliciable. Because look at who else passed on those guys. 32 NFL TEAMS!

1. It is impossible for 32 NFL TEAMS to pass on a guy who was drafted. If a guy was selected -- whether it be in the 1st or 7th round, every team in the NFL didn't pass on him.
2. That being said -- I don't care what every other team is doing. I'm a Lions fan and I want the Lions to draft well -- that is something they haven't done after the 1st round.

Look at the LeShoure and Young picks. Look at the rest of the 2nd and 3rd rounds. Those 2 are probably both in the top 10 players of those rounds. You have Torrey Smith, Daquan Bowers, and little else that I saw. Young turned out to be a terrible person, but he is a good WR. And despite not being with us, he couple years of moderate production is better than most of that 2nd round will ever have.

Kreton, if you honestly think LeShoure and Young are both in the top 10 in the 2nd and 3rd round of the 2011 draft. There really is no reason to even have the conversation, as you think the Lions do no wrong. Young is so talented the Lions couldn't trade him for anything so he was released. St. Louis was the ONLY team in the NFL to put in a claim and they released him after 10 days. Players like Titus Young are a dime a dozen in the NFL -- he will be lucky if he ever plays another snap. My favorite part is you name DaQuan Bowers and Torrey Smith, yet you leave off Justin Houston who drafted in the 3rd round in his 2nd year was named to the Pro Bowl after 10 sacks from his OLB position or Randall Cobb, who has 1300+ yards receiving to go along with almost 2000 return yards and 12 touchdowns or Steven Ridley, who rushed for 1260 yards and 12 tds this past year.

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. It is impossible for 32 NFL TEAMS to pass on a guy who was drafted. If a guy was selected -- whether it be in the 1st or 7th round, every team in the NFL didn't pass on him.

Every team passed on them at least once genius.
Kreton, if you honestly think LeShoure and Young are both in the top 10 in the 2nd and 3rd round of the 2011 draft.

Name 10 in the 2nd or 3rd rounds that have done more that were on the board when they were drafted. I gave you 2. You saw 3 more. Are there more than 5 more players who have been more productive than those 2? Hell even Bowers in questionable at this point.

You can be as pissy and negative as you want to be but at worst Mayhew gets average production out his 2nd and 3rd rounders.

oung is so talented the Lions couldn't trade him for anything so he was released.

Are you really so blinded by your own hatred of the Lions that you don't recognize that Titus Young is a talented WR??? Do you really think the Lions let him go and he is having trouble finding a job because of his talent?

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you really so blinded by your own hatred of the Lions that you don't recognize that Titus Young is a talented WR??? Do you really think the Lions let him go and he is having trouble finding a job because of his talent?

I think it is humorous to hear you call someone blinded. As you are the type of fan who thinks the Lions can do no wrong. Titus Young had 383 yards receiving in 10 games last year. He is a dime a dozen WR that is a head case. 3 WRs were drafted after Young in the 2nd round -- Torrey Smith, Greg Little and Randall Cobb. I would take all 3 of those guys in a heartbeat over Titus Young, even if Young was a model citizen.

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Young knew how to act he would have been and still would be our #2 WR and likely be producing. Again, he is a talented football player, he is just stupid. I'll agree with you that the Lions had every reason to have seen his behavior issues coming, but he was a 1st round talent that fell because of his behavior at Boise State. He convinced the Lions that he was ready to straighten up, and for whatever reason Schwartz and the coaching staff thought they could control him. But none of that changes his talent.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Name 10 in the 2nd or 3rd rounds that have done more that were on the board when they were drafted. I gave you 2. You saw 3 more. Are there more than 5 more players who have been more productive than those 2? Hell even Bowers in questionable at this point.

You can be as pissy and negative as you want to be but at worst Mayhew gets average production out his 2nd and 3rd rounders.

Here you go -- I will list the WRs 1st.
1. Greg Little -- almost 1400 yards receiving with BRUTAL QBs throwing him the ball
2. Randall Cobb -- 1300 yards receiving, 1900 return yards, 12 touchdowns
3. Torrey Smith -- 1700 yards receiving 15 touchdowns
4. Stevan Ridley -- 1700 yards rushing (1260 last year) 13 touchdowns
5. DeMarco Murray -- 1560 yards rushing, 434 yards receiving
6. Justin Houston -- 122 tackles, 15.5 sacks
7. Kelvin Sheppard -- 155 tackles, 2 sacks, 1 forced fumble, 1 fumble recovery
8. Mason Foster -- 189 tackles, 4 sacks, 1 forced fumble, 2 fumble recoveries
9. Stefen Wisniewski -- OG Oakland, been starter since Day 1 in Oakland
10. Chris Culliver -- CB SF -- 2012 60 tackles, 3 interceptions, 17 passes defensed, 2 forced fumbles, 1 fumble recovery

This is in no particular order. I just listed 10 guys who have been better than LeShoure and Young. Let me know if you need more.

Coach_Ed_LPW

Coach of the Year
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow we have resorted to hindsighting drafts now...fun times. I really like hindsighting Leshoure who at 227 pounds ran a 4.5 40...after gaining darn near 2000 yards to go with his 20 TD's in his senior year at Illinois. Buuut I guess Mayhew really fumbled the ball when he failed to call Miss Cleo to find out about his injury future. #CALLMENOW

Coach_Ed_LPW

Coach of the Year
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. Greg Little -- almost 1400 yards receiving with BRUTAL QBs throwing him the ball
2. Randall Cobb -- 1300 yards receiving, 1900 return yards, 12 touchdowns
3. Torrey Smith -- 1700 yards receiving 15 touchdowns
4. Stevan Ridley -- 1700 yards rushing (1260 last year) 13 touchdowns
5. DeMarco Murray -- 1560 yards rushing, 434 yards receiving
6. Justin Houston -- 122 tackles, 15.5 sacks
7. Kelvin Sheppard -- 155 tackles, 2 sacks, 1 forced fumble, 1 fumble recovery
8. Mason Foster -- 189 tackles, 4 sacks, 1 forced fumble, 2 fumble recoveries
9. Stefen Wisniewski -- OG Oakland, been starter since Day 1 in Oakland
10. Chris Culliver -- CB SF -- 2012 60 tackles, 3 interceptions, 17 passes defensed, 2 forced fumbles, 1 fumble recovery

fyi ...Greg Little and Mason Foster are terrible. Justin Houston tested positive for weed at the combine.

If we are going to hindsight in anger...we should go back to 2009 when that bum Mayhew took another bum Aaron Brown in the 6th round when he couldve taken Arian Foster despite his 4.68 40 time. How in the heck did he not see that wasn't it obvious?