• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mark Dantonio only wants conference champs in play-offs...

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also its not possible to limit it to conference champions since there are independents.

It is if you make them fheggets join a conference to be eligible for the playoff.

If they didn't agree to those terms, then they can kick rocks for all i give a shit. (everyone who could would anyways)

Ironbreaker

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,116.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mark Dantonio is a smart man.

MarkOU

License to Thrill
Hoopla Cash
$ 287.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LSU fans are just upset because they know they won't be winning their conference.

Mississippi State :lol:

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about we choose the best 4 teams?

Yes....absolutely....BUT....I believe the four best teams should first need to prove themselves on the field of play by winning their conference.....as opposed to having a selection committee try to choose from 125+ teams.

I believe a committee should come into play....but only for deciding the seeding for the five Power 5 conference winners (see the system I detailed in my post regarding a 70 team Elite Division on the bottom of Page One of this thread.......essentially, the 5 Power Conference champions fight for only four playoff spots with no independent teams because all schools are conference members in one of the five 14-member Power Conferences)

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What would have happened in 2012 under a conference champs only format that would have been so egregious?

It would have been Notre Dame, Bama, Stanford, and Kansas State.

LSU vs Alabama national championship actually took place in Jan so 2012 but I see where the date would be confusing.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes....absolutely....BUT....I believe the four best teams should first need to prove themselves on the field of play by winning their conference.....as opposed to having a selection committee try to choose from 125+ teams.

I believe a committee should come into play....but only for deciding the seeding for the five Power 5 conference winners (see the system I detailed in my post regarding a 70 team Elite Division on the bottom of Page One of this thread.......essentially, the 5 Power Conference champions fight for only four playoff spots with no independent teams because all schools are conference members in one of the five 14-member Power Conferences)

If you're only choosing conference winners, they need to make that be known. I still think it is BS though.

If you truly want to have all of the conference winners, they need to expand the playoffs to at least 6 or 8 teams because sometimes there are teams who finish 2nd in their conference that is better than other conference winners

Ironbreaker

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,116.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What we have now is better than the BCS error.

I think we are locked into the current setup for the next 12 years, might be off a bit on that.

It's a good step in the right direction.

I favor an 8 team playoff. All P5 champs, highest ranked team from the other FBS conferences, and of course Notre Dame has to have a clause modifying everything in case they are good.

So most years 3 at large bids, 2 when the domers are balling.

Also no more than 2 teams from any 1 conference.

But I agree with much of what innermind proposed as well. Join a conference especially...

Oh well. I'm just glad that more of it will be settled on the field now than in the past. Looking forward to the rustled jimmies come playoff time.

Gonna try real hard not to get banned between now and then. I don't want to miss out on the fun. :lol:

trojanfight

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe this sounds a little to much like a reality show but I would be interestes in a behind the scenes look at what takes place in the committee voting panel. Maybe a Q&A at the end why the 4 teams were chosen etc.

When it is released I'm sure you will have different fan bases questioning why this team made it over that one.

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you're only choosing conference winners, they need to make that be known. I still think it is BS though.

If you truly want to have all of the conference winners, they need to expand the playoffs to at least 6 or 8 teams because sometimes there are teams who finish 2nd in their conference that is better than other conference winners

Perhaps this is true, but this is typically an assumption we make and not anything proven on the field... I look to the year where Ohio State beat Michigan in the last game of the season and everyone was clamoring for a rematch because, "It was SO obvious that these are the best two team in the country."... But Florida got the nod instead of Michigan and proceeded to destroy Ohio State....

So I'm not too keen on this argument.

My point is that if you finished 2nd in your conference, you already have proven that you aren't the best team in the country, because over the course of the entire season against similar competition things have played out in such a way that it is clear that one team is better.

BucksFanInGA

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perhaps this is true, but this is typically an assumption we make and not anything proven on the field... I look to the year where Ohio State beat Michigan in the last game of the season and everyone was clamoring for a rematch because, "It was SO obvious that these are the best two team in the country."... But Florida got the nod instead of Michigan and proceeded to destroy Ohio State....

So I'm not too keen on this argument.

My point is that if you finished 2nd in your conference, you already have proven that you aren't the best team in the country, because over the course of the entire season against similar competition things have played out in such a way that it is clear that one team is better.

Couldn't the same be said for any team with a loss regardless of whether they won their conference or not?

If a team loses to another team, using your criteria, it is clear that said team is not the best in the country...

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, its silly that you're not even the best team in your conference, yet you can "win" a national title. I say get 4 conferences of 20 teams each, 2 ten team divisions that round robin. The conference championship games become quarter finals, then the 4 winners go to the playoffs. You still have bowl games, 10 team divisions allow for rivalries to stay in tack, and you get 1 true champ.

TheLonestarDUCK

Sleep is only for the tired
Hoopla Cash
$ 36,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, its silly that you're not even the best team in your conference, yet you can "win" a national title. I say get 4 conferences of 20 teams each, 2 ten team divisions that round robin. The conference championship games become quarter finals, then the 4 winners go to the playoffs. You still have bowl games, 10 team divisions allow for rivalries to stay in tack, and you get 1 true champ.

^^^^^^^
This is how to do it - been preaching it for years. When the PAC almost absorbed the BIG 12 thought we were on our way.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^^^^^^
This is how to do it - been preaching it for years. When the PAC almost absorbed the BIG 12 thought we were on our way.

If only ya'll would've accepted a christian school (baylor) we'd be on our way.

Runeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,650.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 4 best teams get in and it should have nothing to do with conferences. I'm not interested in watching the winner of Ohio State and Michigan State play for the national championship. Both have lost to OCC teams which should have sealed the deal.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 4 best teams get in and it should have nothing to do with conferences. I'm not interested in watching the winner of Ohio State and Michigan State play for the national championship. Both have lost to OCC teams which should have sealed the deal.

Problem with your statement is we really don't know who the best 4 teams are, but we will know who the conference winners are. We THINK bama is good, but their claim to fame is beating West Virginia. What if the mountaineers lose 5 Big 12 games, do we drop bama from the rankings? Say they beat a&m, and we call that a good win, but a&m played 4 Texas high schools this year, is that really a good win? I'm not picking on the SEC, this could be any conference.

BucksFanInGA

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Every time I see your name I start singing "Spoonman" from Sound Garden in my head... and I can't stop...

BucksFanInGA

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Also, all your statement will do is cause teams to schedule nobodies in OOC play...