• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mark Dantonio only wants conference champs in play-offs...

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly, It doesn't make sense. Teams usually get rewarded with a bye if they do good not an extra game.

Making a Conference Champ a criteria, makes that conference champ game all the more worth while and meaningful.

Personally I think the answer is getting rid of conference championships. Expand the playoffs and take out the conference titles.

The Authority

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally I think the answer is getting rid of conference championships. Expand the playoffs and take out the conference titles.

I don't mind taking non conference winners if the playoffs are expanded but right now they are not.

But your're right even if the playoffs get expanded you would still be rewarding teams for not making their CCG.

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not an easy thing to do. You're possibly talking about adding a lot of games. How many teams would you like to see get in?

I personally think this whole process of searching for the ultimate #1 is bullshit anyways. It still doesn't even really work in basketball. How many times do we see the best team have a bad game and get knocked out early.

Whatever happened to just putting good match-ups together and enjoying the bowl games?

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just my opinion here, but I believe in the grand scheme of things the conference champion issue is much smaller when you consider we have a room of 13 people and 6 AD's making this decision on who is in and out.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not an easy thing to do. You're possibly talking about adding a lot of games. How many teams would you like to see get in?

I personally think this whole process of searching for the ultimate #1 is bullshit anyways. It still doesn't even really work in basketball. How many times do we see the best team have a bad game and get knocked out early.

Whatever happened to just putting good match-ups together and enjoying the bowl games?

I think you limit it to 9 teams. Gives the power 5 champion each a slot, 2 wildcards, and a play in between the smaller conferences.

The Authority

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I love the NCAA bball tourney but it is too big. There shouldn't be more than 4 teams from one conference.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW, in this scenario you do realize that you would be rewarding Florida for not winning their division by not making them play an extra game against a top team?

Yes and your rewarding a team that just got beat one week before by the other team on their home field.

If you were to compare resumes:

Florida:
Record: 11-1
SOS: 6
Top 25 wins: 4
Top 50 wins: 5

FSU:
Record: 11-2
SOS: 80
Top 25 wins: 1
Top 50 wins: 2

To me that screams Florida as more deserving. No they didn't win the SEC but they beat the ACC Champ.

The Authority

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes and your rewarding a team that just got beat one week before by the other team on their home field.

Florida:

FSU:

To me that screams Florida as more deserving. No they didn't win the SEC but they beat the ACC Champ.

So Florida gets a do over for not winning their division? Plus gets to play one less game.

The the SEC champ has to go through another game of injuries plus runs the risk of being eliminated.

You also punish Georgia for actually winning the division once they lose the CCG.

Makes no sense.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you limit it to 9 teams. Gives the power 5 champion each a slot, 2 wildcards, and a play in between the smaller conferences.

You don't need a play-in game. Get the 5 conference champs and 3 wildcard teams. Done and done.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't need a play-in game. Get the 5 conference champs and 3 wildcard teams. Done and done.

Probably will be an irrelevant discussion about giving the smaller schools a chance. I'm expecting a separation from the smaller conferences as early as next year with all of the voting to pay players.

The Authority

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Florida:

FSU:

You are taking an anomaly situation and creating bigger problems.

I mean you are saying its okay to put UF in over FSU because they beat them but then you don't carry the same thought with Georgia considering UGA beat UF.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love the NCAA bball tourney but it is too big. There shouldn't be more than 4 teams from one conference.

There are currently about 350 teams in CBB. And w/ only 68 of them making The Tourney each year in the almighty name of greed I can see the NCAA messing up March Madness & adding more teams.

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm fine with that, it's just that the more of this we do, the less meaning any other bowl has. I guess I just don't give a crap about crowning some team nat. champ. Play a good schedule and do well and let the pieces fall where they may.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are taking an anomaly situation and creating bigger problems.

I mean you are saying its okay to put UF in over FSU because they beat them but then you don't carry the same thought with Georgia considering UGA beat UF.

A season isn't based on just one game. Obviously I think it's dumb to reward a team that has a much worse resume in Florida State over a team like Florida even though Florida didn't win it's division.

As for your UGA/UF example. Before the SEC CG game was played Florida had a much better resume despite losing head to head.

Florida:

Georgia:
SOS: 51

A UGA win over Alabama would have pushed UGA into a four team playoff, knocking a 2 loss Bama out. And UF still would have made a 4 team playoff based on their regular season accomplishments. If their was no SEC CG I still would have picked UF over UGA despite the loss earlier on in the season.

If all things are equal, my thought it to reward the team that has played a much tougher SOS and has more quality(top 25 & 50) wins.

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are currently about 350 teams in CBB. And w/ only 68 of them making The Tourney each year in the almighty name of greed I can see the NCAA messing up March Madness & adding more teams.

Yup. They're trying VERY hard right now to do that very thing with the play in games. Just keep adding more, more, more.. and what we'll end up with is a garbage fest of teams. To a certain extent, the NBA and NFL playoffs suck because they let crap teams in.

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A season isn't based on just one game. Obviously I think it's dumb to reward a team that has a much worse resume in Florida State over a team like Florida even though Florida didn't win it's division.

As for your UGA/UF example. Before the SEC CG game was played Florida had a much better resume despite losing head to head.

Florida:

Georgia:

A UGA win over Alabama would have pushed UGA into a four team playoff, knocking a 2 loss Bama out. And UF still would have made a 4 team playoff based on their regular season accomplishments. If their was no SEC CG I still would have picked UF over UGA despite the loss earlier on in the season.

If all things are equal, my thought it to reward the team that has played a much tougher SOS and has more quality(top 25 & 50) wins.

I really don't want to see two teams who have already played get in. Remember Bama/LSU a few years ago? Why not just invite the conf champs of the big 5 to play it off? This way you get some variety.

The Authority

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Florida:

Georgia:

You are still rewarding Florida for losing to Georgia and at the same time punishing Georgia for beating UF.

Whoever lost that game and in turn lost the division would be better off.

That makes no sense.

Your way makes it way more complicated

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really don't want to see two teams who have already played get in. Remember Bama/LSU a few years ago? Why not just invite the conf champs of the big 5 to play it off? This way you get some variety.

FWIW I would have chosen Oklahoma State over Alabama that year.

OSU resume:
SOS: 5
Top 50 wins: 7

Bama resume
SOS: 26
Top 25 wins: 2

However, with that said Bama still would have deserved a spot in the playoff if there were one.

The Authority

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are still rewarding Florida for losing to Georgia and at the same time punishing Georgia for beating UF.

Whoever lost that game and in turn lost the division would be better off.

That makes no sense.

Your way makes it way more complicated

Care to address this flaw in your logic?