• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Mariners @ Twins 4/5, 4/7, 4/8

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And then I get trolled by a Shark vacuum advertisement... I swear.... ...... I'm calling in sick tomorrow.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This season is already reminding me of a classic tune...

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I agree with you, but the hate I believe stems from the fact that he's a guy who would generally improve either offensively or defensively for years. I think the hate is a little overblown, but there are a few reasons for it aside from that. He is the 3rd highest paid third baseman in MLB and regressed both offensively and defensively last year.

Also it's easy to get frustrated with a player who is as streaky as Seager is.

I'd put the over/under for the year at 25 HR .260 BA. I don't think many would disagree with that. It's just frustrating watching him go through his slumps when the top of the lineup is performing so well.

I think it's more frustration than hatred, though a few guys seemed to hate him.

Primarily it is frustrating because he seemed to peak so quickly. I mean his peak isn't terrible at all but it is just odd that he has already started his prime years and the trajectory for him from his 3rd year in the pros was a perennial all star.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was a typical game pitched by Bedard 2.0. Pitches well until the 5th and then starts to lose it. Hangs a curveball right down the middle to a 260 lb hitter who couldn't miss that if he was...Kyle Seager. Then our blowpen came in to pitch well to a couple batters (classic Altavilla who strikes out a guy or gives up a homer) but is left in just long enough to to give up a big homer to a non-hitter. Vincent got screwed so I guess that is much like last year as well. They used a veteran reliever late in the game who mowed us down...go figure.

Two runs early and no add-on runs, but I guess that can be excused because there mid-5.00 ERA pitcher did pitch well once before in his life.

Typical Mariners.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's more frustration than hatred, though a few guys seemed to hate him.

Primarily it is frustrating because he seemed to peak so quickly. I mean his peak isn't terrible at all but it is just odd that he has already started his prime years and the trajectory for him from his 3rd year in the pros was a perennial all star.

For me, it's play up to your pay/expectations... When you don't do that, you're going to get flack from fans... It's not hatred, it's more or less, disappointment... I don't hate Kyle, I just don't like how much of the salary he's taking up when the mgmt. had them basically on a spending freeze prior to the season starting - one of the reasons we didn't add a solid SP...

Duders

IDK - IDC - IDGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For me, it's play up to your pay/expectations... When you don't do that, you're going to get flack from fans... It's not hatred, it's more or less, disappointment... I don't hate Kyle, I just don't like how much of the salary he's taking up when the mgmt. had them basically on a spending freeze prior to the season starting - one of the reasons we didn't add a solid SP...
I'm with Anointed One on this issue. Hate is a pretty strong word (feeling) to use. I do not hate Seager. I do think he was given much too large/length of a contract for what the organization is receiving. He is awesome most of the time defensively but occasionally puts out a silly error or two. It's very disappointing when he fails to come through with RISP. He puts a lot of pressure on himself at the plate (and rightly so) but fails to perform much of the time, particularly at the beginning of the season. I think because he landed such a great contract he thinks he is pretty special but fails to live up to his own expectations, not to mention the fans expectations. When we've got RISP and Kyle comes to the plate, in my mind I say "oh shit, it's Seager" and so far this season he has not done anything to change that. Seager and Healy were the only two who did not to get a hit in Thursday's game. So it does not surprise me to see negative posts regarding his performance, or more so, his lack of performance. I think in general, fans expect more from Kyle than he is providing...at least at this point anyway.

MarinersBestFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

agree - heck I am always on Seagers ass and I sure as fuck do not hate him and I truly want him to succeed so the Ms do better

But you aint gotta look to far to find a bunch of better 3rd basemen who are making less money and not slumping every April: Anthony Rendon Nolan Arenado Jake Lamb Kris Bryant Manny Machado etc etc ...

Seager hit almost 30% less rbi than Cruz did last year and batted right behind him all year long. He failed to knock in alot of guys and had many chances. just like he is failing yet again same thing start of this season

His bad April - May starts are hurting the club

Last edited:

MarinersBestFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think todays AL West standings are spot on what end of Sept will be:

HOU
LAA
SEA - we are .500
OAK
TEX

I hope we are in the #2 spot behind HOU and close enough to 90 wins to have a shot at a WC. But my gut and instinct thinks todays rankings AL West is how things shake out.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seager's base running has been brutal as well, which is even more disappointing imo... Base running should be an easy fundamental for all baseball players...

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last year we started out, 2-8... Can't keep giving Seager "grace" in April/May...

I think that's another reason fans get frustrated. Seager generally plays poorly at the start of the year, but the M's are steadfast on him hitting 5th, even when there's better options. I can pretty much guarantee when Cruz is back that Haniger will drop back down to 6th.

MarinersBestFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that's another reason fans get frustrated. Seager generally plays poorly at the start of the year, but the M's are steadfast on him hitting 5th, even when there's better options. I can pretty much guarantee when Cruz is back that Haniger will drop back down to 6th.

Yup

Because Servais doesn't have the balls to stand up to a veteran player and make a move that will help the club win in the immediate future. if and when Seager heats back up, slide him up to the 5 hole in the order

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Someone agrees with you (actually everyone agrees with you)

Mariners Manager Scott Servais Has Tough Day in Minnesota

Didn't see the game but ya, that move doesn't make any sense at all. I mean it's not like the bench is loaded with great players but I would've used Motter personally. Just doesn't make sense to use a pinch hitter who if is successful you cannot pinch run for.

And is Heredia in the dog house, still hurt or something I'm unaware of?

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because Servais doesn't have the balls to stand up to a veteran player and make a move that will help the club win in the immediate future. if and when Seager heats back up, slide him up to the 5 hole in the order
right now i would feel like trading him to atlanta for..... rio ruiz 3b..and sam freeman relief pitcher...lol
cuz he has a fat contract till 2021
or since they have healy just for pitching..lol

Last edited:

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That and the last 2 years he's left a ton of runners left in position. Cano/Cruz/Segura are somewhat high on that list as well but they all pull their weight with average and/or HRs. So he doesn't really have a clutch factor.

AND WTF was that last pitch? That's a fucking strike you fucking cheat ump... naturally it's belted for a HR after... fuck you. Yah Rosario, I wouldn't be celebrating that one, you lucky fucker. Better be strikes from here on out you POS ump. Time to ditch these fat fucks and go computer.

EDIT: Fuckin' douche Twins player sitting around like, "Oh I know I swung on strike 3, but I thought you'd bail me out, bro!?"

Seager's stats:

2017: .249/.323/.450
2017: RISP: .287/.376/.517

2016: .278/.359/.499
2016: RISP: .310/.417/.614

He has actually hit better with runners in scoring position the past two years.