• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Mariners @ Rangers 8/12 - 8/14

MarinersBestFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a Marco fan ( and never truly was )

He is a 1 trick pony with that changeup and has no other pitches to fall back on to bail him out when he is getting roughed up.
Yes of course he has had a few quality starts every season. Hell he is an MLB pitcher for Christ sakes, I would hope he would have some good outings occasionally. I just find it hard to believe in a pitcher who can never bust a fastball by a hitter who is sitting on his fastball in a hitters count. Yea Jamie Moyer made a 20+ year career doing it ... BUT it is a differant era in baseball we are in right now.

In a 3 or 5 game playoff series he never sees a single start - GUARANTEED. And I honestly doubt he gets a start in a 7 game series. I would NEVER run him out there as a starter if I was skipper and we are in the post season.
He may possible get inserted off the bench as an inning eater in a playoff game that gets out of hand to save the bullpen.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The M's have wanted to extend him since the beginning of last year. It is Haniger that has turned us down. And that whole rehab crap about him coming up when he tells us he is ready just burns me. I think he has been wanting to leave and not in a hurry to come back so he can save himself for his next team. I could be 100% wrong on this, but that is what my gut says.
I see your point but if that is the case then I think he is massively overvaluing himself on the open market. He is a high risk and high reward guy which doesn’t generate into a huge salary offer. At most I think a team would offer him a 1 year guaranteed deal for maybe $8 million. He has really had 1 good full year and I just can’t see any playoff caliber team committing to him.

Maybe he does want out but I will bet the Mariners offer him a better contract in terms of money and years because he and Marco are essentially Jerry’s babies.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sending Suarez home was incredibly stupid.

But then Haggerty driving in one.

Had they held Geno, it's 2-0 right now.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see your point but if that is the case then I think he is massively overvaluing himself on the open market. He is a high risk and high reward guy which doesn’t generate into a huge salary offer. At most I think a team would offer him a 1 year guaranteed deal for maybe $8 million. He has really had 1 good full year and I just can’t see any playoff caliber team committing to him.

Maybe he does want out but I will bet the Mariners offer him a better contract in terms of money and years because he and Marco are essentially Jerry’s babies.
I agree we offer him the most, but I think he goes elsewhere. I say Padres. I just think he dislikes how M's are run. His comments, the Seager ending, and maybe how he was handled injury wise. Who knows. Maybe I am just looking at it completely wrong. Just going by words JD uses and Haniger's lack of rebuttal to them.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a Marco fan ( and never truly was )

He is a 1 trick pony with that changeup and has no other pitches to fall back on to bail him out when he is getting roughed up.
Yes of course he has had a few quality starts every season. Hell he is an MLB pitcher for Christ sakes, I would hope he would have some good outings occasionally. I just find it hard to believe in a pitcher who can never bust a fastball by a hitter who is sitting on his fastball in a hitters count. Yea Jamie Moyer made a 20+ year career doing it ... BUT it is a differant era in baseball we are in right now.

In a 3 or 5 game playoff series he never sees a single start - GUARANTEED. And I honestly doubt he gets a start in a 7 game series. I would NEVER run him out there as a starter if I was skipper and we are in the post season.
He may possible get inserted off the bench as an inning eater in a playoff game that gets out of hand to save the bullpen.
Great points. I have relegated myself to just saying he isn't a bad #5 starter. If not, he would really drive me crazy. I don't know if you could even use him as a situational lefty out of the pen in the playoffs. He is so hot and cold you don't know what guy is coming in.

The good news? We have him for 2 more years after this with a team option for a 3rd and like wazzu31 said he is a Dipoto boy so...

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More on my Haniger point and why I feel this way based on his letter. I think he likes Seattle, his teammates, and even the ownership for some reason. Dipoto? I think he is the reason.

Here is who he thanked in his letter:

And last but of course not least: the Mariners community. From John Stanton at the top….. to everyone on the team who held down the fort while I was out injured…. to our fans…. truly, to all of you guys. Any time I had doubts, I would visualize myself back on the field, playing the game I love alongside my teammates, in front of you all.

No mention of Dipoto.

Last years disappointment with Dipoto:

I think the first time this season that I really let myself think out loud, you know, O.K., we’ve got something going here, it was around the middle of July. One thing you have to remember is — with Kyle coming up on free agency, and with the team not expected to contend, there’d been a lot of talk early on in the season that he could be getting moved at the deadline. And I’m a year away from my own free agency, but there’d definitely been talk that I could get moved as well. It wasn’t really something we’d ever bring up in conversation — you’re trying hard to stay in the moment as much as possible. It was “in the air,” though, you know what I’m saying?

But we just kept on winning. And then from there — I mean, it was so funny, man. One day Kyle and I are talking, and I just remember kind of blurting this out to him, like: “Dude….. there’s no way we get traded. Not anymore. We’ve gotta be adding pieces now. We could legit make the playoffs.”

How much he loved Seager:

And once the deadline passed, and Kyle was still here, that just kind of became this rallying cry. Playoffs, Cap!! This is the year, guys would tell Seager, and I really think that says a lot — both about Kyle and about this team. It tells you what an amazing and respected leader Seager is, for everyone to rally around him like that, and to want to send him to the playoffs. But it also tells you what kind of a team this is. Because it’s not like any of our young guys have been here for all 11 of Kyle’s seasons with the club, right? It’s not like that’s their history. But they still owned that history — and owned the mission to change it.

And to Dipoto:

I hope our front office is reading this, and they understand that it’s time to really go all-in. It’s time to make some impact moves, and put this group over the top.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree we offer him the most, but I think he goes elsewhere. I say Padres. I just think he dislikes how M's are run. His comments, the Seager ending, and maybe how he was handled injury wise. Who knows. Maybe I am just looking at it completely wrong. Just going by words JD uses and Haniger's lack of rebuttal to them.
I don’t disagree at all with his feelings towards Jerry (or whomever in the organization) especially since he turned down an extension. Won’t pretend to know the rosters of contenders for next year but it would just seem very odd for a contending team to commit any significant amount of resources.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t disagree at all with his feelings towards Jerry (or whomever in the organization) especially since he turned down an extension. Won’t pretend to know the rosters of contenders for next year but it would just seem very odd for a contending team to commit any significant amount of resources.
There are some teams that can/will spend on guys like this because of the risk reward factor. We aren't one of them. Hell, we won't spend on a sure thing so...

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haniger's stats this year. 4 homeruns 10 rbi. Because he's always getting hurt. You can say its bad luck and feel bad for him but at the end of the day its halfway through August and he has 10 rbi. pass on him. The Mariners probably offered what he's worth when he plays and that's why he said no because it was too little.
From what I read, there has been no offer because his side has said they aren't looking to talk right now. I have not read anywhere that M's have made him an offer and he turned it down. He just doesn't walk to talk extension. That could change in the offseason, but I doubt it. I see him in SoCal. Padres or Dodgers.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
France since All-Star no-break: .227

.162 in August

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
France since All-Star no-break: .227

.162 in August
I love France, but the one thing I would like to see is him dropping about 15 lbs next year. He isn't fat, he is solid but a better diet and more cardio and yoga would slim him down making him faster without losing any power.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mariners 27th in Hard Hit %.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are some teams that can/will spend on guys like this because of the risk reward factor. We aren't one of them. Hell, we won't spend on a sure thing so...
I get it but I just can’t see it. It is kind of the Ken Giles move except his was for 2022 not paying him for 2021. I could be wrong but if I were a fan of whichever team he sides with I would be disappointed just as IMO, every real Mariners fan was disappointed that Jerry’s big bats he got at the deadline were going to be Kyle Lewis and Mitch.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get it but I just can’t see it. It is kind of the Ken Giles move except his was for 2022 not paying him for 2021. I could be wrong but if I were a fan of whichever team he sides with I would be disappointed just as IMO, every real Mariners fan was disappointed that Jerry’s big bats he got at the deadline were going to be Kyle Lewis and Mitch.
I guess my point being is Haniger to us is a must produce bat if signed because we limit our payroll vs the Dodgers or Padres who see him as a bonus bat. If he gets hurt, they have resources to replace him. So much harder doing it our way which we all know.

My prediction: 3/$30M

Duders

IDK - IDC - IDGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So this is a playoff team? :pound:

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone wrote we had the easiest remaining schedule once we finished up with the Yanks. Apparently the team read that too.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Losing 2 out of 3 to the f'n rangers?

This is why I wanted more bats at the deadline. They just aren't setup to win games when the other team scores more than 4 and you are going to have some of those no matter how good your pitching staff is.

The idea that you can only have either a great pitching staff or lots of hitting is ludicrous to me.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The M's have wanted to extend him since the beginning of last year. It is Haniger that has turned us down. And that whole rehab crap about him coming up when he tells us he is ready just burns me. I think he has been wanting to leave and not in a hurry to come back so he can save himself for his next team. I could be 100% wrong on this, but that is what my gut says.
You could be completely right, and you've been right on Haniger more than I have been, so perhaps I should defer to you but I see it differently.

Regarding Haniger wanting to take his time recovering, I see it differently. He has had so many injuries in his career that he knows his body better than anyone. Also you have to remember that after ruptured testicle injury he had, he had a number of setbacks in recovery and who could blame him for not wanting to rush back after that?

With him not wanting to negotiate a contract extension, once again you could be right, but I just keep going back to that article he wrote in the Players Tribune and the fact that he was one of the guys who tried to convince Robbie Ray to sign here and think that he wants to win here. Those two factors make me think there are other reasons for refusing to negotiate with the Mariners. Perhaps we low balled him, perhaps his agents are playing hardball, perhaps he thinks he can get the best deal if he waits until he hits the market. Who knows?

I could see the Mariners low balling him because of all the injuries and the strong OF market this upcoming free agency.