• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mariners 2020 5 Round Draft - June 10,11

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
truly am not a fan of college pitchers because of the extra innings they have put on them and at least 3 years of a college staff who isn’t always looking out for the future of his career.

This is always a concern and should be regulated in my opinion.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still remember back in the day when the Cape Cod league and the midnight madness or whatever the hell that tournament was called that Randy and McGwire were sky rocketed up the prospect charts for college players.

It is just such a small sample size is the reason I question it. But since baseball is such a crap shoot, I guess why not base it on something. If DIPoto is still GM in the next 4 or 5 year, it won't matter anyways since he will probably trade them all away.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is just such a small sample size is the reason I question it. But since baseball is such a crap shoot, I guess why not base it on something. If DIPoto is still GM in the next 4 or 5 year, it won't matter anyways since he will probably trade them all away.

Not sure how it is now, but Cape Cod use to be essentially the winter league but in the summer for top college players. It use to be a measuring stick with the “best vs the best”.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is always a concern and should be regulated in my opinion.

But how could you do that? If college football keeps going down the Pandora’s box of trying to make players money then it is possible I suppose that players could opt for school instead of playing rookie or low A ball but I can’t see anyway that an organization is going to spend enough money to make a college staff choose the kids uncertain future over their own job. It’s like my offensive lineman analogy. Offensive lineman for the most part now play in college in a style that doesn’t help them at all for the NFL level but it makes their college coaches millions or at least job security.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is a small sample size and in baseball that can be a very big difference. Dipoto clearly has a preference when he drafts and I am not sold on it. In a lot of ways he is trying to be safe which makes him miss on bigger talent in my opinion. Tough with only 5 rounds though so I get that aspect of this draft in particular. I think the biggest thing with a lot of these young players is development and finding the players who haven't tapped into their true potential and to do that you need the staff and coaches to get those players to that point something the Mariners have been complete dog shit at for years, decades even.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure how it is now, but Cape Cod use to be essentially the winter league but in the summer for top college players. It use to be a measuring stick with the “best vs the best”.

I thought it was cut short this year, but maybe I am wrong on that.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But how could you do that? If college football keeps going down the Pandora’s box of trying to make players money then it is possible I suppose that players could opt for school instead of playing rookie or low A ball but I can’t see anyway that an organization is going to spend enough money to make a college staff choose the kids uncertain future over their own job. It’s like my offensive lineman analogy. Offensive lineman for the most part now play in college in a style that doesn’t help them at all for the NFL level but it makes their college coaches millions or at least job security.

You put an innings restriction on them. It would actually be real simple if the NCAA really wants to protect the student athlete.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is a small sample size and in baseball that can be a very big difference. Dipoto clearly has a preference when he drafts and I am not sold on it. In a lot of ways he is trying to be safe which makes him miss on bigger talent in my opinion.

My exact thinking as well. Top 10 picks should be high ceiling guys and he seems to go after high floor guys. He likes safe and that can be okay, but I think the opposite when it comes to baseball.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My exact thinking as well. Top 10 picks should be high ceiling guys and he seems to go after high floor guys. He likes safe and that can be okay, but I think the opposite when it comes to baseball.
Yeah exactly. In a normal draft I like to see a mix of "safe" and high ceiling picks. This 5 round draft had a different feel to it which is why I am ok with this draft. After looking back on the draft and who DiPoto picked I kinda get why he picked some of those players. Not saying I agree but somewhat understand the thinking. In some ways he tried to mix high ceiling and "safe" at the same time. Such as with Zach DeLoach he never really hit in college then tweaks his swing and destroys the cape, maybe some untapped potential there? And with Connor Phillips 1 year removed from high school with some community college experience, might be as close to a high school prospect Dip gets lol.

I don't know I'm just bored and over thinking... fucking cornhole tournaments

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah exactly. In a normal draft I like to see a mix of "safe" and high ceiling picks. This 5 round draft had a different feel to it which is why I am ok with this draft. After looking back on the draft and who DiPoto picked I kinda get why he picked some of those players. Not saying I agree but somewhat understand the thinking. In some ways he tried to mix high ceiling and "safe" at the same time. Such as with Zach DeLoach he never really hit in college then tweaks his swing and destroys the cape, maybe some untapped potential there? And with Connor Phillips 1 year removed from high school with some community college experience, might be as close to a high school prospect Dip gets lol.

I don't know I'm just bored and over thinking... fucking cornhole tournaments

I have no problem with this years draft as far as taking more chances than in past years, but not sure I still would have taken the 2nd and 3rd picks he did. The first pick to me was a no brainer. He has risks like all players but has a high ceiling so I like that unlike a guy like Hultzen who was low ceiling, high floor guy by Jack.

My daughter is hosting a cornhole tournament for the family at my grandsons 1st Bday party...lol. Wish me luck.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You put an innings restriction on them. It would actually be real simple if the NCAA really wants to protect the student athlete.

Sure, but that runs into legal issues. In youth sports and sometimes into high school it was argued it is for the health of a student who isn’t fully matured. The NCAA is on the ropes right now so it might work but then it would also bleed into Title IX issues and can’t imagine fastpitch teams would agree or football or basketball coaches would be cool with limiting minutes for athletes because of their projected money earning. I get your argument just think again that is a massive Pandora’s Box that legally I am not qualified to say whether it is practical.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no problem with this years draft as far as taking more chances than in past years, but not sure I still would have taken the 2nd and 3rd picks he did. The first pick to me was a no brainer. He has risks like all players but has a high ceiling so I like that unlike a guy like Hultzen who was low ceiling, high floor guy by Jack.

My daughter is hosting a cornhole tournament for the family at my grandsons 1st Bday party...lol. Wish me luck.
Yeah I agree I thought there were better picks in the 2nd and 3rd but then again baseball draft is a crap shoot.

If i could get a play by play on this cornhole tourney id watch it live... The first time I played cornhole was when I got to UNLV and went to a football game, UNLV football is basically an excuse for the students/alumni to get 185% drunk because you aint going to see a Rebel win. I played cornhole at those tailgate parties for years (sometimes didn't even go to the game):L, I will be honest didn't know the rules until ESPN televised a tourney lol

Also happy 1st birthday to your grand kid. We are getting old grandpa AZ!!!! and the M's still suck lol

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also happy 1st birthday to your grand kid. We are getting old grandpa AZ!!!! and the M's still suck lol

Yes, yes we are. His brother will be 6 at the end of July. So crazy. Love those boys.

Ya I have only played cornhole a couple of times at parties with the in-laws (or soon to be ex-in-laws). I did pretty well. Maybe it was because I bowled growing up until basketball got in the way. And I watched a tournament on ESPN several months back. I had to laugh and wonder why the heck I was watching this.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My grand boys and I. I put them asleep every time. Not sure what that exactly means...lol.

aden&pax.jpg