• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mariners 2020 5 Round Draft - June 10,11

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would think winter ball should be a go

Ya I didn't even think of it still be a go with everything going on in the world and in baseball. It is a must for the young players and I hope baseball doesn't screw that up.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya I didn't even think of it still be a go with everything going on in the world and in baseball. It is a must for the young players and I hope baseball doesn't screw that up.

Not to fear, baseball's going to fuck themselves over.

Duders

IDK - IDC - IDGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I don't understand (and I admit I haven't been totally tuned into this) is why the MLB and ownerships have not been able to come up with a short season plan that both can agree with. Some baseball is better than what we have now. Geez, anyone know what the problem is between them that is making this such a problem that can't be resolved?

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I don't understand (and I admit I haven't been totally tuned into this) is why the MLB and ownerships have not been able to come up with a short season plan that both can agree with. Some baseball is better than what we have now. Geez, anyone know what the problem is between them that is making this such a problem that can't be resolved?

I believe the issue is somewhere in the realm of owners wanting a short season but they want to prorate players salaries based on how many games they play so basically really slashing their salaries which players do not want. Players are counter offering saying they will play a 100+ game season making as much of their salaries in which without fans in the seats, concessions and everything not being available to help finance it owners are saying no to that deal.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

MLB offers players 76-game season, up to 75% of salaries

Duders

IDK - IDC - IDGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe the issue is somewhere in the realm of owners wanting a short season but they want to prorate players salaries based on how many games they play so basically really slashing their salaries which players do not want. Players are counter offering saying they will play a 100+ game season making as much of their salaries in which without fans in the seats, concessions and everything not being available to help finance it owners are saying no to that deal.

Thanks to both of you!! :thumb:

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It essentially boils down everyone is stir crazy and both sides are trying to play out the CBA negotiations early. The owners want to make as much money as possible consider they will be losing millions which puts the PA in a terrible spot because anything that documents a possible salary cap will come in the next CBA in a legal battle. I have long advocated for the players to take that shitty first deal the owners took and then in every single interview a player did talk about how they do this for the fans. Get equity from sports fans so if the paranoia of a salary cap happens in the next negotiations then you have leeway from the fans if you go on strike. Right now it just comes off as billionaires and fighting millionaires all while the millionaires are throwing 70% of their union members under the bus.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well it is all panning out where Jerry has some serious starting pitching prospect talent and OF talent. So it’s kind of like 99-2000 and pray to god Jerry trades the right ones this time unlike Stand Pat.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well it is all panning out where Jerry has some serious starting pitching prospect talent and OF talent. So it’s kind of like 99-2000 and pray to god Jerry trades the right ones this time unlike Stand Pat.

Couldn't agree more and I actually hope he doesn't trade any of them and just adds via free agency. Keep the depth.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its a good question and one I don't think they have a good answer to. If the lower levels of the minors don't happen I would still want the young guys to be doing something baseball related, throwing, fielding, hitting, training etc.. It might end up being something like a baseball camp lol. Or an abbreviated "covid 2020" league in Peoria for a couple months with intersquad games and get the Padres involved. I don't know and obviously I am not thinking about the payment aspect of it but at least they would be getting baseball reps.

Per DIPoto:

What’s next for the young pitcher that Hunter considers to be a top-of-the-rotation talent remains to be seen. While not yet officially announced, it is clear there will be no minor league season this year. Dipoto is holding out hope that there will be something perhaps along the lines of fall or instructional ball for select minor leaguers but nothing is guaranteed. At the least, the Mariners are hoping they can run their offseason camps where they would have their first opportunity to get their hands on Hancock.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Couldn't agree more and I actually hope he doesn't trade any of them and just adds via free agency. Keep the depth.

I can see that point of view. Maybe I’m just scarred but the Mariners having their 5 top starting prospects and Pinero ended up being the only who didn’t dud if I remember correctly and they desperately needed help in 2001 to keep their players fresh.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Fella's hope everyone is healthy.

Love the pick, Leave it to the Orioles to target someone and open up the big board.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I've read, imo he will be a boom or bust guy. Was projected as #1 overall last year and slid slightly due to an injury. Seems like fastball and change are his pitches but needs to work on a 3rd pitch, that and health will likely determine if he lives up to it or not. Fingers crossed then he pans out with Gilbert and Kirby

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can see that point of view. Maybe I’m just scarred but the Mariners having their 5 top starting prospects and Pinero ended up being the only who didn’t dud if I remember correctly and they desperately needed help in 2001 to keep their players fresh.

That is the reason why I want to keep all of them. The attrition rate is huge so you need 10 to get 1.