• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mariners 2014/2015 Offseason

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's pretty cool. This will be my 8th spring training and it is always fun. Laid back and close to the action at every park. I think the only 2 parks I haven't been to are Giants and Cubs and we are going to watch the M's play at Cubs this spring. Enjoy your time and meeting up with Affeldt. Something most people don't get the chance to do.

:suds:

Cool... 8x's? Nice... This will be my first time to a training camp... It's been on my bucket list so i'm stoked...

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
jealous of people going to spring training...especially the ones cozying up with pros.

i can admit it.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
jealous of people going to spring training...especially the ones cozying up with pros.

i can admit it.

I am surprised you never made it down. It sounds like something you would enjoy.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cool... 8x's? Nice... This will be my first time to a training camp... It's been on my bucket list so i'm stoked...

Good for you. If you have time, you can watch the practice in the mornings before the games at the practice fields. I always recommend it because you are right there watching them and at times walking among them. I had so many good memories hearing them talk with each other on the field. I was also there video taping Griffey in the batting cages his first day back with the M's. I was also talking to former M's President Chuck Armstrong just an hour before they came to an agreement to bring Griffey back. Armstrong was in his 60's but acting all giddy about the possibility of him coming back. Those are the things you see down here that you can't see anywhere else. Take it all in and I hope you get a good taste of AZ weather.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am surprised you never made it down. It sounds like something you would enjoy.

i would indeed

just an impossible time of year for me to be away from my students for any amount of time

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea I havent been down there since the late 90's. The two things I remember from that trip were getting Griffey's autograph and seeing the Ryan "the little Unit" Anderson. I remember people trying to get his autograph and he gave off a super cocky vibe about it. Guess that didnt work to well for him.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea I havent been down there since the late 90's. The two things I remember from that trip were getting Griffey's autograph and seeing the Ryan "the little Unit" Anderson. I remember people trying to get his autograph and he gave off a super cocky vibe about it. Guess that didnt work to well for him.

His super cocky vibe was about the only thing he had in common with Randy Johnson...lol.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i would indeed

just an impossible time of year for me to be away from my students for any amount of time

I figured spring break would give you a chance to get down here. Hopefully you make it one of these years.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My dad and I are thinking of heading over for a few days. Neither of us have ever been. I have been wanting to go for awhile now. Hearing AZ's updates are always fun to hear.

Hey that would be great if you did. I know you have wanted to in the past. I have yet to make it to Vegas for anything. Some day.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I figured spring break would give you a chance to get down here. Hopefully you make it one of these years.

spring break is almost always the first week of the regular season.

i've got almost 4 months of leave saved up that i could use, but honestly, doing substitute teacher lesson plans for a week is about 4 times as much work as just being there.

i'll live vicariously through you, so you'd better post about it or something. :yahoo:

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am use to having spring break in March, but forgot some have it late in the month and into April.

I will do my best, but I have a grandson now so I don't get out as much as I use to. Plus that darn work thing seems to get in the way....man I would be a great lotto winner.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The dude was super cocky and had the worst work ethic I have ever seen and love to party. I remember when he just hanging around with the Rainiers he got his paycheck (which was like 5 times more than any other guys) and he took all the players and staff that wanted to go out to the strip club and some cool clubs.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A new article from ESPN rating organizations and their use/belief of Analytics. M's fell under the middle group titled; One Foot In. Here is the write-up:

When GM Jack Zduriencik and special assistant Tony Blengino blew into Seattle after the 2008 season, there were great expectations surrounding the team and their use of analytics.

With Blengino supplying "Trader Jack" with sabermetrics, the Mariners traded for Franklin Gutierrez, who gobbled up fly balls in record numbers, and the team posted a winning record despite being outscored (hint: foreshadowing).

But the Mariners dived in the standings, suffering through four straight losing seasons, and in 2013, things got ugly. Blengino and manager Eric Wedge were dismissed, and a Seattle Times article portrayed a front office in disarray.

Some of the most memorable statements about Zduriencik came from Blengino (who is now an MLB analyst for ESPN): "Jack never has understood one iota about statistical analysis. To this day, he evaluates hitters by homers, RBI and batting average and pitchers by wins and ERA. Statistical analysis was foreign to him. But he knew he needed it to get in the door."

Now baseball operations analyst Wesley Battle and quantitative analyst Jesse Smith are running the numbers, and Zduriencik is supportive of their work. But among the analytics community, Zduriencik's reputation remains tarnished.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read this on a Mariners site and was just flabbergasted (an old word) by the cost they say it would take to get Either. I think he is more name than production so i wouldn't even give up one of these players for him yet alone both.

I’m not sure what a package to acquire Ethier would look like. I would imagine a trade would center around one of the Mariners shortstops – most likely Brad Miller- and add an arm – perhaps Roenis Elias – and a prospect with the Dodgers picking up some of Ethier’s salary.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read this on a Mariners site and was just flabbergasted (an old word) by the cost they say it would take to get Either. I think he is more name than production so i wouldn't even give up one of these players for him yet alone both.

I’m not sure what a package to acquire Ethier would look like. I would imagine a trade would center around one of the Mariners shortstops – most likely Brad Miller- and add an arm – perhaps Roenis Elias – and a prospect with the Dodgers picking up some of Ethier’s salary.

LOL!

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously, is it just me that thinks this is about 90% overpayment?