• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Manning retiring

Oldschool739

It's my Country, Flag, Bible, Gun. Don't try it !
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think everybody outside of Denver is saying "This one's for Peyton" while Bronco fans are all saying "This ones for Pat." As much as I have loved having Manning the greatest influence on the Broncos in the last 30 years is that of Pat Bowlen who unfortunately was not able to come to the game as he is fighting Alzheimer's. Might not live long enough to see the team in the Super Bowl again so to me if the Broncos win I can about guarantee that John Elway will say "This one's for Pat."

No doubt, I forgot about that....SB47 all the players had an ART patch on their jersey in honor of Art Modell and it gave them extra motivation....Maybe it will do the same for the Broncos...:hope:

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would be funny if Peyton announced his retirement before the game and walked out......

{+}Mother-Marge{+}

Hoopla Cash
$ 50.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
.....well,.....if he wins I hope he goes out on top ......retires like Bettie did with Pitt...

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

To me that is not technically true. The deadline will be March 8th. That is when Manning's contract I think kicks his base salary into fully guaranteed money. So they have to know by then whether they are cutting him or he is retiring otherwise they get screwed cap wise.

VikingFan2k2

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me that is not technically true. The deadline will be March 8th. That is when Manning's contract I think kicks his base salary into fully guaranteed money. So they have to know by then whether they are cutting him or he is retiring otherwise they get screwed cap wise.

I just looked this up. Elway waited until May 2nd, 1999 to announce his retirement. I have nothing but respect for Elway as one of the greatest to ever play, but why milk it until after the draft?

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just looked this up. Elway waited until May 2nd, 1999 to announce his retirement. I have nothing but respect for Elway as one of the greatest to ever play, but why milk it until after the draft?

Well I think with Elway the decision was a little harder to make. I mean the guy had just won back to back Super Bowls so hard to argue with the idea that he shouldn't come back or that he couldn't still play just coming off a Super Bowl MVP. Still yeah it was a lot longer than maybe he should have taken so that the team knew which direction they were going.

With Manning like I said the Broncos can't afford to give him that much time. They have too many FA's that they need to start working on signing and they just can't have Manning take a $19 million spot on the salary cap to give him all the time he needs. So while I do expect they will give him a few weeks of peace. I would bet at the end of February Elway calls him up and says "time to make the decision otherwise we will have to make it for you."

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I think with Elway the decision was a little harder to make. I mean the guy had just won back to back Super Bowls so hard to argue with the idea that he shouldn't come back or that he couldn't still play just coming off a Super Bowl MVP. Still yeah it was a lot longer than maybe he should have taken so that the team knew which direction they were going.

With Manning like I said the Broncos can't afford to give him that much time. They have too many FA's that they need to start working on signing and they just can't have Manning take a $19 million spot on the salary cap to give him all the time he needs. So while I do expect they will give him a few weeks of peace. I would bet at the end of February Elway calls him up and says "time to make the decision otherwise we will have to make it for you."

Wow... It really didn't feel that long for Elway to me... I moved to Denver just before their SB years, and it really felt like they'd moved on, just waiting for the official announcement.

But you are right. March 8th for Denver. 19 mil guaranteed that day. No waiting beyond it.