• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mannelly: "Bear Way" vs "Tresty Way" Interesting.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always knew that Trestman tried to change the culture of the Bears: as a HC in the NFL he was entitled to bring his "way"...

Patrick Mannelly- has said somethings today about the way Tresty changed things that gave me a slight pause. :doh: <that's the feeling.

Mannelly has been with the Bears for 16 years- he's been around 3 Head Coaches.

The Old culture: (I'm assuming most LR's)
Vet's: Would rule the LR. Hold guys accountable. Be on time, pull guys aside when they are acting foolish. When a rookie came into that group they had to earn the respect of the Vets. They would- slight hazing/jokes... There was a true hierarchy in the LR and people knew who to go to, and what was expected. Even new vets that came to the team as FA had to earn the right to lead based on the leaders already there.
Vet's could yell at players in practice (hold them accountable) and most likely, according to PM, those Vet's would pull that guy aside after practice and say things like: "man, I know I was hard on you, today...we just gotta do that better" Younger players would respect that more, and think- man if this 7-9 year vet has been here and done this I better listen to him. Respect earned- Young guy accepted into group.
New players had to "earn their right to be in the NFL- Be in that LR" You were expected to be quite, and earn your place.

Trestman's New Culture:
When he came in his mandate was: EVERYONE is Equal- Vet's, FA's, Rookies... Captains will be rotated.
Mannelly mentioned that there were times in practice when a vet would yell at a rookie or new guy and Trestman would tell that vet- THAT's NOT how we do things here- Talk to them after.
Vet's tried to follow Tresty's instructions, but began to tune out. Thinking, what's the point?
LR's were "more inclusive" the OLine wasn't grouped together anymore- LB's were next to RB's... QB's were next to DLineman...etc.
^^^That's the :L feeling.

Mannelly gave examples: Would Lance Briggs have gone to BBQ? Not a chance he wouldn't have even asked or thought about it, knowing it would have been a NO. Marshall wouldn't be going to NY each week. OR felt he could do all the crap that he's done.

Trestman's Way is much more "corporate"- like an office setting: Don't be rude, Be nice to everyone, don't get sued, talk to HR if you have a problem with a coworker. There is no hazing in a corporate setting.

As a New HC- Trestman has the right to implement his way... the way he's done it doesn't work. Interesting stuff from Patrick Mannelly.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is being Politically correct and the wussification of america. Trestman is just ahead of the curve.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe everyone will get Participation Ribbons.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is the Christmas season:noidea:

Bears have been in the business of "giving" all season. Mostly giving other teams gaudy stats and wins.

Melman

DA BEARS!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,046.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
EVERYONE is a winner, Melman.

Hopefully Ted Phillips doesn’t skimp on those Participation Ribbons.

Then again, I don’t think too many players want to hang onto any keepsakes from the 2014 season.

Melman

DA BEARS!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,046.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is the Christmas season:noidea:

Bears have been in the business of "giving" all season. Mostly giving other teams gaudy stats and wins.

Aaron Rodgers should send Mel Tucker a nice fruit basket… not many QBs get to pad their stats twice a year against a “worst in the history of the franchise” defense.

If not a fruit basket, then maybe a Century 21 gift card.

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It may sound like I'm defending Trestman - I'm not. Just trying to present another perspective.

The Tresty Way
He did arrive in 2013 and took a group of offensive weapons that ranked 16th in 2012, into the the number 2 scoring offense.
While the CFL may be synonymous with a "minor league" type of mentality, assuming that all CFL teams have equally similar talent, Tresty did take Montreal to 3 Grey Cups and won the last one in 2010 - and did so with a 40-year old journeyman QB (Tony Calvillo).
Counterpoint: Tresty's way may not be what NFL teams/Bears are used to, but he has had a measure of success with it, even at the NFL level. Let's face it, when things go bad, it's easy to point to a specific factor which may not be the LR or NFL norm.

The Bear Way
I like Mannelly. But in the last 16 seasons, the Bear way has meant being a 500 ballclub (128 wins, 128 losses). It has also meant 4 playoff appearances total.
Not to mention watching our arch rival have dominance over us.
Counterpoint: With all of the so-called leadership that was in place prior to Trestman, we have little to show for it.

Last edited by a moderator:

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
bear way has been smash mouth football led by defense. the spooge fest of cutler and the offense being the current choice of the direction of the organization, one can argue that drastic measures were required to change years of history.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
THAT COMMIE BASTARD!