• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Make me Laugh. Try to explain SOS - Strength of Schedule

Status
Not open for further replies.

naslundfan19

Boredom Savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:lol:

Do you think maybe it's because....Professional football didn't exist? Want take a guess at the QB's that won the first Superbowl though? That would be Bart Starr, an Alabama QB.

Oh yeah, he won the 2nd one as well. MVP in both.

Going even further back in history, ever heard of Doc Hudson? He's the guy who is often credited with creating many of the modern passing routes used in football. He was a WR at Alabama.

I can do this allllll night long.

He probably can’t. He probably was told it’s bedtime by Mom.

UCFhonors

Hoopla Cash
$ 494.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ahh I see, only things that happened since 1996 matter, lol.

#UCFourthbestteaminFlorida

So is that an admission that Bama hasn't produced a good NFL QB since 1996 when UCF started playing D1 UCFootball?

What UCF has done while trying to build our program is nothing sort of incredible. Our Rise to Dominance is way ahead of schedule.

#UCFacts

UCFhonors

Hoopla Cash
$ 494.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After 2 weeks, this thread still has only seen 2.5 attempts at someone explaining SOS. If this is a good stat to use, then everyone should be able to explain it off the top of their head.

Batting Avg. Throwing completetion, avg yard per game, passing yards per attempt, winning % etc... are all good stats.

SOS is a bad bullshit stat.

#UCFacts

After 4 days, only 9 posts. And nobody has attempted to explain SOS.

It's a BS stat. Everyone who understands Math knows its a BS stat.

#UCFacts

6 days. Only 1.5 attempts providing a link or something that may attempt to explain SOS.

That makes me laugh.

If SOS is so universally accepted than it should be so simple to explain.

If SOS is so universally accepted than this thread would have only been 2 posts.

SOS is a dumb stat that 93% of cfb fans and 100% of tshirt bandwagoners don’t understand.

#UCFacts

#UCFacts

Bullitt08

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But in my hypothetical Wisconsin proves they are better than the rest!! If alabama is the #4 seed and gets bumped for an undefeated 13-0 P5 CCG winner than that is their fault for dropping the ball. Regardless of what people "think" and hindsight being 20/20 doesnt matter in this scenario.

It is like the UFC and letting it go to the score card instead of getting a KO. Never leave it up to the judges.

It is what it is. the #4 team cant really complain, even though they inevitably will.
Not as much as the 5th rated team, or the 9th if there were 8 teams, or the 17th rated and so on. There is always somebody who feels they got shafted. Right or not.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After 2 weeks, this thread still has only seen 2.5 attempts at someone explaining SOS. If this is a good stat to use, then everyone should be able to explain it off the top of their head.

Batting Avg. Throwing completetion, avg yard per game, passing yards per attempt, winning % etc... are all good stats.

SOS is a bad bullshit stat.

#UCFacts

#UCFacts

CJH9972

Rivals' DTP2
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Based on the first five years of the CFP, when comparing P5 teams only, the higher ranked team had equal or fewer losses 97% of time. When a P5 is ranked higher than a G5, it has equal or fewer losses 57% of time. Out of 1500 pairs, the higher ranked team had more losses 139 times. 37 involved P5 teams only. 102 involved P5 over G5 despite only 13 G5 top 25 teams in five years.

So SOS, however defined by committee, seems to be a tiebreaker for P5 teams and a tool to eliminate G5 teams without G5 teams being able to determine what SOS is enough.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So is that an admission that Bama hasn't produced a good NFL QB since 1996 when UCF started playing D1 UCFootball?

What UCF has done while trying to build our program is nothing sort of incredible. Our Rise to Dominance is way ahead of schedule.

#UCFacts

Dominance of what...the AAC? If ever there was a tallest midget argument you guys would be King Shit of Turd Island.

#UCFirstamongotherlumpyturdsintheporcelainbowlknownastheAAC

UCFhonors

Hoopla Cash
$ 494.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dominance of what...the AAC? If ever there was a tallest midget argument you guys would be King Shit of Turd Island.

#UCFirstamongotherlumpyturdsintheporcelainbowlknownastheAAC

UCF Rise to Dominance isn’t just winning National Champions in UCFootball in 2017

It’s building dominant sports programs. All of our fall and winter sports teams were ranked in the Top 25 at some point.

Our Rise to Dominance is when our sports are perennially in the Top 25 and challenging for NCs consistently.

#UCFacts

Neilcar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually it is a great stat. There are just a lot of bad formulas out there regarding SOS. The only one I pay attention to is the GBE SOS Ratings. It is straightforward with the true percentages adjusted for home vs. away games.
They don’t Even start posting until the first week in October. (because of large fluctuations during the first few games with a small amount of data)

UCFhonors

Hoopla Cash
$ 494.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually it is a great stat. There are just a lot of bad formulas out there regarding SOS. The only one I pay attention to is the GBE SOS Ratings. It is straightforward with the true percentages adjusted for home vs. away games.
They don’t Even start posting until the first week in October. (because of large fluctuations during the first few games with a small amount of data)

Okay. I play along. If SOS is “great stat” why are their different versions of it?

There aren’t different versions of batting average, ERA, passing %, YAC, running yards per game, FG%, winning % or any sports stat that I’m aware of.

BTW there is only one SOS.

#UCFacts

CJH9972

Rivals' DTP2
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay. I play along. If SOS is “great stat” why are their different versions of it?

There aren’t different versions of batting average, ERA, passing %, YAC, running yards per game, FG%, winning % or any sports stat that I’m aware of.

#UCFacts

SOS is the kind of stat that can be defined however you like. The problem with college football is there is no single definition and no one knows when it matters and what allows a team to make for a worse record.

Based on CFP rankings, G5 teams are penalized two games and then everyone is ranked by their records with few exceptions. So how is SOS worth two games?

UCFhonors

Hoopla Cash
$ 494.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SOS is the kind of stat that can be defined however you like. The problem with college football is there is no single definition and no one knows when it matters and what allows a team to make for a worse record.

Based on CFP rankings, G5 teams are penalized two games and then everyone is ranked by their records with few exceptions. So how is SOS worth two games?

I think what has happened is sports fans have looked into the SOS and said this BS. Then they make their own complicated formula which they share and call it strength of schedule.

The concept sounds nice. The math doesn’t mean a whole lot. And pundits and committee members refer to it just to support their own preconceived notions. Like a two game penalty. Fresno State last year was a perfect example. They could have won a legit championship last year.

#UCFacts

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

#UCFacts

It doesn't matter what SoS method you use, all of them say UCF played a shit schedule.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who do you think should have made a four team playoff in 2010?

If you are asking if I think TCU should have gone, the answer is no.

If you are asking if TCU would have gone, there is a good chance.

CJH9972

Rivals' DTP2
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you are asking if I think TCU should have gone, the answer is no.

If you are asking if TCU would have gone, there is a good chance.

So, who goes without TCU?

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, who goes without TCU?

I don't know, it was 9 years ago and it wasn't a year when more than 2 was needed so I've never really considered it.

But I'll guess:

1. Auburn
2. Oregon
3. Wisconsin
4. Stanford

But as I said, TCU would have went so it would have likely ended up being:

1. Auburn
2. Oregon
3. TCU
4. Wisconsin

Status
Not open for further replies.