• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mack Brown says that Texas didn't offer Manzel a scholarship to play at safety

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
dean-what-gif.gif

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How does this stuff get started?

Texas never offered Manziel AT ALL. I'm not sure why this is breaking news. Manziel and his HS coach are on record as saying that if he had gotten offered to play OL, he'd be at Texas right now.

But Texas never offered.......and there are quite a few good reasons why they did not. It's amazing how hindsight is so CLEAR for so many of you and the media, as if EVERYONE knew he was going to be a Heisman trophy winner when he was in HS.

SMH, its like Mack is the only coach that misses on talent every now and then......I'm sure NO other school has missed out on top players........:whistle:

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Auburn and Alabama didn't offer Philip Rivers either....bad move.

HuskerOC

Huskers 24/7 365
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought Texas wanted Johnny to play defensive back not safety?

Y! SPORTS

Holy Fuck. The guy just won the Heisman Trophy last year playing for your team in its best year in well over 2 decades and you can't even fucking spell his name?

Manzel?

Geezus Christmas.

TexasMan

mfw reading SportsHoopla
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How does this stuff get started?

Texas never offered Manziel AT ALL. I'm not sure why this is breaking news. Manziel and his HS coach are on record as saying that if he had gotten offered to play OL, he'd be at Texas right now.

But Texas never offered.......and there are quite a few good reasons why they did not. It's amazing how hindsight is so CLEAR for so many of you and the media, as if EVERYONE knew he was going to be a Heisman trophy winner when he was in HS.

SMH, its like Mack is the only coach that misses on talent every now and then......I'm sure NO other school has missed out on top players........:whistle:

He's missed on the last 2 Heisman winners in favor of a sub-par QB at SMU and your boy Ash.

It is pretty comical how bad he has missed, so the criticism is warranted.

tech_iceman

#winning
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's missed on the last 2 Heisman winners in favor of a sub-par QB at SMU and your boy Ash.

that SMU quarterback was the #2 quarterback coming out of high school that almost any other school would have gladly taken

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No, it's not. And I'm ROOTING for Texas to fire Mack.

Gilbert was the Gatorade player of the year.......he was a top 3 prospect IN THE NATION. NOBODY passes on that for a 3 star athlete that only ONE coach offered as a QB.

Manziel was a 3 star that nobody in state wanted either......he had problems with the law, and was committed to Oregon. Sherman took him as a backup, they didn't really recruit him either, he kind of landed in their laps when he decided he didn't want to leave the state.

What's comical is that Mack is the only coach criticized for these "misses" that nobody else hit on either. RG3 wasn't recruited by a single coach in the nation outside of Briles to be a QB. Manziel was a 3 star in trouble with the law.

Yeah, those were CAN'T MISS prospects there.

TexasMan

mfw reading SportsHoopla
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that SMU quarterback was the #2 quarterback coming out of high school that almost any other school would have gladly taken

and yet, he's at SMU. And even a great offensive mind like June Jones - the polar opposite of GDGD - can't even make him look good.

So why not take a chance on this speedster named Griffin at QB, or this pretty good QB in Kerrville. It's not like UT has ever done anything good with a 3 star QB before.

TexasMan

mfw reading SportsHoopla
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Gilbert was the Gatorade player of the year.......he was a top 3 prospect IN THE NATION. NOBODY passes on that for a 3 star athlete that only ONE coach offered as a QB.

Manziel was a 3 star that nobody in state wanted either......he had problems with the law, and was committed to Oregon. Sherman took him as a backup, they didn't really recruit him either, he kind of landed in their laps when he decided he didn't want to leave the state.

What's comical is that Mack is the only coach criticized for these "misses" that nobody else hit on either. RG3 wasn't recruited by a single coach in the nation outside of Briles to be a QB. Manziel was a 3 star in trouble with the law.

I can see why you could miss with RG3 because of Gilbert, but remember that huge HS game that was nationally televised in 2010 that was supposed to showcase UT's new stud running back (Malcolm Brown) from Cibolo Steele, only to be upstaged by this QB who was a really gifted athlete at Kerrville that put up monster #s? Why not throw this kid a bone to, just like you say, "be a back up", instead of this other guy who has never watched a television in his life?

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can see why you could miss with RG3 because of Gilbert, but remember that huge HS game that was nationally televised in 2010 that was supposed to showcase UT's new stud running back (Malcolm Brown) from Cibolo Steele, only to be upstaged by this QB who was a really gifted athlete at Kerrville that put up monster #s? Why not throw this kid a bone to, just like you say, "be a back up", instead of this other guy who has never watched a television in his life?

Because Mack doesn't recruit kids with criminal backgrounds.

I really don't see why this is so hard for some of our fanbase to accept. I mean virtually NOBODY instate wanted Manziel.

HuskerOC

Huskers 24/7 365
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The problem Texas has IS the CAN'T MISS prospects. They all seem to miss.

Look at your RB's. Johnathan Gray, Malcolm Brown, Joe Bergeron. 98% of the schools in the country would kill for that depth and quality. Sadly, Texas is ranked 43rd in the country in rushing and don't have a single player ranked in the Top 40 for Rushing Yards Per Game.

Jackson Jeffcoat is going to be good in the NFL. Why not now? These are all 5 star players playing well below their star level coming out of high school, much less the 19 returning starters that got embarrassed by BYU and Ole Miss.

In my humble opinion, Texas gets a lot of guys that have maxed out in high school and just don't get much better in college. They have already reached their ceiling at 18 years old. Time to get some guys that will be studs in 2 to 3 years as opposed to the best right now in the high school ranks.

TexasMan

mfw reading SportsHoopla
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great points HuskerOC.

Yes, it is a big alarming problem that Texas can't get the full potential out of these 5 star recruits, yet when they go in the NFL they become good or great.

The feeling among fans is if they had a real head coach in the 40 acres, expectations could be met.

Last edited by a moderator:

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem Texas has IS the CAN'T MISS prospects. They all seem to miss.

Look at your RB's. Johnathan Gray, Malcolm Brown, Joe Bergeron. 98% of the schools in the country would kill for that depth and quality. Sadly, Texas is ranked 43rd in the country in rushing and don't have a single player ranked in the Top 40 for Rushing Yards Per Game.

Jackson Jeffcoat is going to be good in the NFL. Why not now? These are all 5 star players playing well below their star level coming out of high school, much less the 19 returning starters that got embarrassed by BYU and Ole Miss.

In my humble opinion, Texas gets a lot of guys that have maxed out in high school and just don't get much better in college. They have already reached their ceiling at 18 years old. Time to get some guys that will be studs in 2 to 3 years as opposed to the best right now in the high school ranks.

They haven't maxed out....they aren't getting DEVELOPED at Texas.

And as far as the RBs go, that's more of an OL problem than a problem with the RBs.

Player development, outside of the secondary, has been a real problem at Texas the last few years. I think part of the issue is that the assistant coaches are in waaaaaaay over their heads. That's Mack's fault for hiring the wrong coordinators.

HuskerOC

Huskers 24/7 365
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They haven't maxed out....they aren't getting DEVELOPED at Texas.

And as far as the RBs go, that's more of an OL problem than a problem with the RBs.

Player development, outside of the secondary, has been a real problem at Texas the last few years. I think part of the issue is that the assistant coaches are in waaaaaaay over their heads. That's Mack's fault for hiring the wrong coordinators.

I call BS on the OL and your RBs.

You don't have a single guy that will stick a foot in the ground, make a decisive cut and get up field amongst your RBs. You also don't a have a RB that will put a shoulder down into and after contact while also switching gears and/or shedding tackles.

Every single one of your RBs runs high and is easily tackled by a single player. Where is the aggression? Where is the movement? Where is the ability to make people miss?

You have a bevy or 5* RBs in your backfield, and I wouldn't trade for any of them.

Wishbone

Robust Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mack Brown also passed on Drew Brees and Andrew Luck.

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You obviously don't pay that much attention to detail. Jeffcoat is the current Big 12 Defensive player of the Week and Gray is the Offensive POTW.
You probably also don't remember how Jeffcoat has had 2 seasons end early due to injuries.
Name the Texas RB that wasn't injured last season and didn't miss a game? Trick question, everyone missed at least one game.

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mack Brown also passed on Drew Brees and Andrew Luck.

Wrong, on both!

Drew Brees was passed over by Mackovic. When Brown become the UT coach, Brees was enrolled at Purdue.

Luck committed as a Junior to Stanford and was never interested in Texas.