• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Louisville Has No Business Being Ranked Ahead of Baylor; It's Preseason Bullshit

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have doubts they will to. But when you look logically at Louisville/Baylor and their respective opponents and the results of the matchups up to this point, you realize that there may be some discrepancy there.

Can you see it?

Does anyone doubt that Louisville could beat Oklahoma if OU is to be used as some measuring stick?

The same could be said of Oregon at #2 right now. Which goes to point out it's not about what you have done, it's about what you are expected to do. If Baylor beats Oklahoma, they will get more respect. That simple.

occupant

Resident Inhabitant and nerve striker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,345.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The same could be said of Oregon at #2 right now. Which goes to point out it's not about what you have done, it's about what you are expected to do. If Baylor beats Oklahoma, they will get more respect. That simple.

So what you're saying is that you have Oregon at #1?

It's simple to see that they have the easier route to remain undefeated. They get to play in the soft PAC and 'Bama has to play in that tough ol' SEC.

I bet you're extrapolating all the way to the championship game in ranking 'Bama above Oregon aren't you?

john01992

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
um sorry but margin of victory is the one thing you never judge a team by.....

is there really that much difference between beating a team by 30 pts compared to 60 pts?????

i mean come on...dont penalize certain teams because they decide to rest starters or because they have the class not to run up the score on a bad team

Doctor Krieger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baylor is Averaging, that's Averaging, 70+ points a game. Starters playing little more than a half.

Maybe Louisville would beat them, but I still think Baylor would win, right now. Could change.

As a founding member of the Baylor Bandwagon fan base, I agree with ya.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Went to edit and put the same thing for Louisville, but missed the timeline. The thing is that the preseason rankings take into consideration what was done the previous year and what the team brought back from that previous year. Too many people do not remember that.

Preseason speculation isn't suppose to affect regular season polls though.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So, has Oklahoma done something this year to make people think they will beat Baylor, or has Baylor done something to make people think they will lose to Oklahoma?

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
um sorry but margin of victory is the one thing you never judge a team by.....

is there really that much difference between beating a team by 30 pts compared to 60 pts?????

i mean come on...dont penalize certain teams because they decide to rest starters or because they have the class not to run up the score on a bad team

Baylor has been resting starters, though. They've been scoring 70+ per game while running second- and third-string for almost entire second halves.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what you're saying is that you have Oregon at #1?

It's simple to see that they have the easier route to remain undefeated. They get to play in the soft PAC and 'Bama has to play in that tough ol' SEC.

I bet you're extrapolating all the way to the championship game in ranking 'Bama above Oregon aren't you?

:lol: When backed into a corner, just start claiming bias? Unfortunately for you, you apparently don't know me very well.

That thing that matters is called strength of schedule. And as Alabama doesn't play any of the tough East teams, and since the Pac12 is the 2nd best conference in college football, I actually have both their SoS pretty even right now. Alabama with the 59th best schedule and Oregon with the 60th. That will change over the season, but that is where it is right now, can't get much closer.

College Football Strength of Schedule Computer Rankings for Week 6 2013

But right now I have neither of them as #1. My #1 team at the moment in Stanford. Who also has the #1 rated SoS as well.

My #2 team is Florida St.
#3 = Alabama
#4 = Clemson
#5 = Oregon.

College Football Full Week 6 2013 Computer Rankings

Why is Alabama ahead of Oregon right now? Because I give more credit for games played than future games. And for that reason, I have Oklahoma #7 and Baylor #9(Despite being 6 point dogs to Oklahoma), while Louisville on it's weak schedule is down at #12.

So, you were saying?

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, has Oklahoma done something this year to make people think they will beat Baylor, or has Baylor done something to make people think they will lose to Oklahoma?

Yes, I currently have Oklahoma as 6 point favorites. They have beat Notre Dame and TCU.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, I currently have Oklahoma as 6 point favorites. They have beat Notre Dame and TCU.

Oh I take that back, I have Baylor as 6 point favorites. But the Notre Dame and TCU point still stands.

Phillip Oliver Holz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clemson is playing the best ball right now. They are easily #2 but may be #1 when it's all said and done. True.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really don't know how they will stack up against a good defensive team (we will find that out with the OU game), but you can also say that of Louisville and Oregon.

But, just from watching them, man I wouldn't want to play them right now. But we will see.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Defensive oriented teams will not be the answer.

Baylor actually hasn't played a particularly good offensive team yet.
WVU is fairly decent, but they have been wildly inconsistent (shutout vs Md).

An offensive team will be the one that beats Baylor.
BAYLOR will not be able to stop top offenses every weak.
The defense is better, but it is not good enough to make BAYLOR a top 10 team.

Texas, Oklahoma State, and WVU all out-Baylored the Bears last season.
I think the Bears will lose one than once to the Texas Tech, OSU, OU, and Texas (yes them) combo.

Ironbreaker

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,116.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course they do. Louisville has played more game, won more games and even though neither team has had a real test I think Kentucky would kick the crap out of WVU this year. So Louisville also has a better win.

Ironbreaker

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,116.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
....also no matter how much most of us hate it, pre season/early season polls exist.

Louisville started the season ranked ahead of Baylor and rightfully so imo, and Baylor hasn't done anything to overtake them. Wins against bad teams don't show anything. So 4 bad wins vs 5 bad wins. No one could justify putting Baylor ahead of Louisville at this pt without using their own form of BS which matches preseason poll BS, perception.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Louisville has no business being ranked ahead of Baylor. If Baylor is ranked low because they've played an easy schedule, that same logic should apply to Louisville. Louisville being ranked ahead of Baylor is the bullshit product of preseason polls.

As Sports Illustrated sportswriter Stewart Mandel points out at Dissecting the lack of upsets; Baylor's prolific start; Mailbag - College Football - Stewart Mandel - SI.com:

Here are Baylor's scores:

vs. Wofford: 69-3
vs. Buffalo: 70-13
vs. ULM: 70-7
vs. WVU: 73-42

Here are Louisville's scores:

vs. Ohio: 49-7
vs. Eastern Kentucky: 44-7
vs. Kentucky: 27-13
vs. FIU: 72-0
@ Temple: 30-7

Basically the same schedule difficulty, but Baylor is destroying opponents in a way Louisville is not.

well Louisville beat KY....which is tSEC, which means they beat one of the greatest teams in the land